wait, so how many calories can I have on LCHF diet?

Options
39flavours
39flavours Posts: 1,494 Member
So after doing low cal for six months and doing well but losing slowly with lots of stalls, I've decided to try carb restriction to lose the last ten pounds. I've been finding it a bit difficult to tell the truth and I'm wondering whether this is because my calorie intake is low so I'm not able to get enough fat in to feel satisfied.
I keep hearing that you still need to watch your calorie intake on low carb and as I've been eating around 1300 cals a day this didn't seem to leave much room for fat.
Also, maybe I'm not restricting my carbs enough? I'm trying for 30-50g but keep over eating as am a bit confused over what foods are most useful to include and I'm getting hungry. Like I had half an avocado as I thought they were pretty low but then looked and it was 6.5g. Then I had creme fraiche and that was 16g. But then if I just eat cheese and cream then that's too many cals right?
Also doesn't too much protein convert to sugar?I'm really worried that I'll end up eating too much and putting weight back on!
Help, not sure I'm doing this right at all!
Ro x

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    When you say you're not satisfied, were you satisfied at 1300 calories before low carb?

Don't worry about the sugar conversion due to protein. Protein is a huge help to keeping hunger in check.
  • 39flavours
    Options
    Thanks for your reply
    Yeah I was used to it, though on workout days I ate more because I would feel wrecked if I didn't! The problem was I stopped losing, I've basically maintained for the last ten weeks and still have a way to go.
    My stats are 5'4, 131 lbs, goal 123lbs.
    Also concerned about how to keep my workouts up when on LC as I dont think I have the same energy level...
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    It'll be interesting to see if it works for you, but the secret sauce of low-carb is the hunger control. That's partly due to protein and partly due to ketosis.

Fat in your diet will increase the level of ketones, which may help reduce hunger. Try eating to satiety and see where you end up in terms of calories.

Exercise will be tricky for the first few weeks. I'd stick with lower-intensity exercise, and then start cranking up the intensity as you feel more energetic.

You MUST ensure adequate sodium intake, especially if you exercise. Otherwise, you will feel like crap.
  • 39flavours
    Options
    Ok thanks, I'll try to figure out how to get more fat in without going over 1300. I'm not sure I trust myself to just go on satiety levels though, the reason I put on weight is because I overate in the first place! Though I do get that carbs trigger cravings so without them the tendency to pig out should be less.
    Re The salt thing, I've already began to notice how headachy I feel without it!
    I would be interested in seeing other's diaries using the same calories if anyone wants to share?
    Thanks x :-)
  • cottagegirl71
    cottagegirl71 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me - my diary is open and I am at 1350 cal/day and 5'3" - I am pretty new to this way of eating but LOVE how I feel....also read the Launch pad at the beginning of the group - lots of great info there and lots of very friendly supportive people here :)
  • 39flavours
    Options
    Oo thanks very much cottagegirl!
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and aim for 1400-1600 cal per a day. Feel free to check out my diary for ideas. However, in the initial transition period, you probably will feel a bit off with satiety and such. I know for me, there was a mental adjustment to the volume of food and feeling satisfied.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You could try just looking at carbs and not looking at the calories for a few weeks. Often people are able to break through a stall by taking a diet break. After a few weeks you could try to dial back calories if you are way over. Also, did you recalculate your calories based on your new weight, and set your goal to lose .5 pound per week? Weight loss does typically slow down as you get closer to goal.
  • 39flavours
    Options
    You're right about that fat4fuel2! It's very weird eating less food that's more calorie dense after so long aiming to eat more food that's less calorie dense! Feels very counter intuitive! Also I'm used to eating more often as well and having to put less effort into my food. It's gonna take a while I think!
    Deksgrl, no I haven't recalculated my calories but I think 1300 is my limit, I couldn't survive on less! That's supposed to give me 1 lb loss but it's more like .5 per month! I'm a lightly active teacher so need a bit of fuel!
    Really appreciate all the advice! X
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm a lightly active teacher so need a bit of fuel!

I'm a teacher too! Have you tried cycling calories a little bit? I know some days for me, when I'm running after kids more or just being more active, I'm way hungrier. Other days I can eat about 1000 and be really full. It usually evens out over the week and gives me some wiggle room for hungry days or heavy lifting days.
  • 39flavours
    Options
    Kids wear you out alright! Yeah I was wondering about carb cycling...doesn't it just set you back to square one though and you have to go through all the uncomfortable stuff every time you want to move to low carb? Do you find it difficult to lift on low carb days then? I haven't tried yet...
  • deksgrl
    Options
    You're right about that fat4fuel2! It's very weird eating less food that's more calorie dense after so long aiming to eat more food that's less calorie dense! Feels very counter intuitive! Also I'm used to eating more often as well and having to put less effort into my food. It's gonna take a while I think!
    Deksgrl, no I haven't recalculated my calories but I think 1300 is my limit, I couldn't survive on less! That's supposed to give me 1 lb loss but it's more like .5 per month! I'm a lightly active teacher so need a bit of fuel!

It will give you more calories to eat if you set it to .5 pound a week instead of 1 pound.

• 39flavours
    Options
    Sure but how will that help me lose if I'm already stalled when eating 1300?
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Sure but how will that help me lose if I'm already stalled when eating 1300?

Sometimes your body gets tired of the low level of calories and needs more. Your body adapts to what you give it.

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Sometimes increasing cals for a day or two (like 200cals) can break a stall. Our bodies seem to get comfy where they are and we have to shake it up a bit, so to speak. You are a male? I would think that 1300 cals is too much of a deficit, but that's just my opinion.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Chances are that changing the quality of your 1300 calories will make a big difference and break the stall.

Have you played with the keto calculator at http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ yet? It should help you set your goals.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    75g of protein should be sufficient, with 25g of carbs you're at 400 cal which leaves space for 100g or 900 cals of fat.
  • 39flavours
    Options
    I've never really accepted the eat more to lose theory but I do find after a weekend away I do manage to lose what I put on easily. What got me interested in low carb was after a weekend away where I was way over for three days I came home and got straight into LC, within a week I was 2 lbs below my lowest weight and dead impressed!
    I'm not male, just got a boys name! 35yr old female!
    I try to get 130g of protein (one g per lb body weight) as I do resistance training and find it helps, so I'll have a look at that calculator thingy x thanks peeps
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    130 grams is a lot of protein with Phinney recommending 1.5 - 2 g per kg of ideal body weight. Fair bit of evidence that 75 grams is enough.
  • 39flavours
    Options
    Wow that calculator is fantastic! This is what I got:

34/F/5'3" | CW 131 | 25% BF | Lightly active

* 1350 kcal Goal, a 22% deficit. (1087 min, 1734 max)
    * 25g Carbohydrates
    * 98g Protein (59g min, 98g max)
    * 95g Fat (67g min, 138g max)

I'll have another go with 75g protein and see how it looks as you guys know what's what

Thanks so much! X