Strategies to overcome binge eating-what helped you most?

Options
Tatarataa
Tatarataa Posts: 178 Member
What strategies helped you most?
-preplanning meals/decide every meal what you want
-meal structure/eat whenever you want
-calorie goal/no calorie goal
-certain foods/eat whatever you like
-include/exclude binge foods
-have binge foods at home/not have them at home or available
-cheat days or meals
-distraction
-urge surfing/sitting with the urge
-diary
-intuitive eating
-structured eating
-decide to stop and then never binge again\
-battle urge/be friend with urge
-hunger and satiety scale
-sports
-medication
-certain books/approaches and if so which
-certain therapies/counselling and if so which

Replies

• Tatarataa
    Options
    -or any other...
  • Sarahsteve7kids
    Sarahsteve7kids Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I lived the book 'have your cake and skinny jeans too'. I don't plan on binges and eat the food I want. I have placed only a couple rules to myself. 1) eat at the kitchen table 2) remember to stop eating when it stops tasting good. I don't need to binge because later if I want I can have the same food again.
  • lindabortner
    lindabortner Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have read everything i could find about binge eating disorder. They really helped me understand why i would binge all the time.
  • aishlynn
    aishlynn Posts: 181 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I simply cannot have the (junk) foods I love in the house or at work. If they're there, I will eat them. I can resist them for half a day or maybe even a few days, but after that, they're mine!

Even if I prelog my food (which I do daily for the next day), I will binge.

At work it's a little harder, but I tell myself that those cookies belong to someone else even if they're left out for everyone. And I don't bring things that I'll be tempted to nosh on (like chocolate or ice cream).

I've just started my weight loss journey so I'm hoping that this gets better (read easier) with time. Or maybe it won't and I'll just have to do what I do with credit cards and straight out not have the foodz around.
  • Tatarataa
    Options
    Many thanks for your answers!
  • kts1988
    kts1988 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It took me YEARS to finally recover from Binge Eating Disorder, which included a lot of trial and error. For me, logging my food and meal planning/meal prep helps take the stress and guess work out of food. Regular exercise helps too. Counseling and reading about BED have both been invaluable, as I have been able to get to the root cause of what was driving my urges to binge. Hope that helps!
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I lived the book 'have your cake and skinny jeans too'. I don't plan on binges and eat the food I want. I have placed only a couple rules to myself. 1) eat at the kitchen table 2) remember to stop eating when it stops tasting good. I don't need to binge because later if I want I can have the same food again.

I just bought this book! fixing to start on it :)
  • MDAPebbles67
    MDAPebbles67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    These are the three things that help me the most

1) 30-50 grams of protein in the morning. I drink whey protein and sometimes have bacon and eggs as well. This above all other strategies seems to cut my evening binge urges.

2) Amino Acid therapy as described in "The Diet Cure" by Julia Ross

3) The book "Brain Over Binge"
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    What an awesome topic!! Thanks for reviving it! I'm still doing battle with BED but am markedly better than 3-4 years ago. I was a serious binger for at least 20 years, daily binging or restricting, don't recall a "normal" relationship with food.

What helped me:
    Psychotherapy, 2 years worth. Helped me realize I went from being a victim of abuse to playing one as an adult. Learned how to relate to people and stress better and the urges to binge lessened dramatically.

Medifast (MF). I won't do Medifast again as it's a highly restrictive diet and towards the end, I developed a binge-MF-binge-MF cycle. However on MF, which kept me from bingeing for over a year, I learned the following, which I use to prevent bingeing today;
    Eat at least every 3 hours
    Eat more protein, less carbs
    Drink loads of water

Vyvanse. I've been on it 6 weeks and haven't had the urge to binge like I used to. However, it's becoming slightly less effective and mornings are tough, before I take my AM dose. It is by no means a magic pill although in the beginning it felt like one. I've put in years of behavioral and psychological work to deal with BED and Vyvanse just makes it a little easier to deal.

Exercise. Especially morning workouts. It keeps me on track the rest of the day, helps alleviate stress, melancholy, and gives me energy.

I have yet to read a great BED book. Brain Over Binge was okay, not great, for me. Geneen Roths' books had great tips I still use but again, no "cures". I still use her tip to sit at the table when I eat. I look forward to reading the "..skinny jeans...cake" book!

Telling people!! BED is a terrible disease but one that you should discuss with others, doctor, spouse,partner, friends. I stripped BED of a lot of its power after I revealed its existence to my therapist, husband and doctor.

Being amongst people. I won't binge in front of strangers. So, I have a list of silly errands, "get bug spray from hardware store, donate box of books to library", etc. I pick something from the list when I feel the urge to binge. I redirect my attention, like a toddler.

Get 7 solid hours of sleep. Without a good nights sleep, I'm toast, I've got no ability to fight the urges. And when I don't get 7 hours, I find time for a 20 minute cat nap. Non-negotiable.
  • Dennis4766
    Dennis4766 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    These are the three things that help me the most

2) Amino Acid therapy as described in "The Diet Cure" by Julia Ross

I have been doing this for now 2 solid months. I have had 1 true binge since then. I've had a 2 or 3 out of control moments, but only 1 binge as classically defined for bullemics.

• CPickMuscles
    CPickMuscles Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What seems to work for me are these guidelines:

Don't go grocery shopping hungry (prevents the following)

Don't buy binge foods when grocery shopping (If they're not in the house, it's a lot easier to fight the urge because I would have to leave the house to get my fix and typically I'm sad, lonely or irritable and I want to hide from the world)

I do believe that we should allow for small indulgences and in that case, I use my kitchen safe (which is AWESOME). I set it to open when I'll be strong (after workout time or after a nutritious meal) and then only take out my allotted amount of goody. It has helped me a lot!
  • walkdmc
    Options
    After reading this thread I started taking the amino acids discussed in The Diet Cure. I'm not sure if they're working but I haven't binged since starting the therapy. Thanks for sharing this resource!
    I've also stopped the Vyvanse since my last post. I started having some worrisome side effects and the effective period dropped from 8-9 hours/day to 4-5, within 6 weeks of starting the drug.
  • walkdmc
    Options
    At first, it was a miracle pill but about 5 weeks into treatment, I had;

1. extreme fatigue and mental fog before I took Vyvanse and after it wore off, so bad that I couldn't function well, wouldn't have considered driving.
    2. While the drug was active, and killed my urges to binge, I felt agitated towards everyone. I would get upset with other drivers, people in front of me in the grocery store line, family, everyone. It was awful. I could feel the agitation but couldn't calm myself down.
    3. Bingeing returned with a vengeance around week #6, after the Vyvanse wore off (see #4).
    4. The drug's positive effects went from lasting 8-9 hours to 4-5, half the effective time I had when I first started.

I don't want to discourage anyone from talking to their doctor about the drug but for me, it's clearly not a long-term therapy.
  • guptatul
    guptatul Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I got therapy first, then a nutritionist.

I focussed on eating more protein with carbs (that keeps you satiated for longer than just protein or just carbs in a meal or snack), ate even if it was forceful every 2-3 hours. Added 30 g of protein to kick start the day with breakfast and ensured I ate within 30 minutes of waking.

Then, after a month, I noticed my binges reduced in the amount I binged and the number of times I binged. Next, I added exercising - about 45 - 120 minutes of walking a day, 30 minutes of HIIT 4 times/week. This made a difference in how I felt (happier) and again reduced binges further though I did not count calories yet.

Next step, cooking my meals and planning them. They are quick and easy like eggs, chicken breast salads, fruits. I allow 200 calories from "junk" (cookies, ice cream, whatever pleases me) to not feel like binging.

I next had my boyfriend keep an eye on MFP Diary so that he saw what I ate binge or not. That way, anytime I did binge, it was embarassing but it was also ok to learn that I had his support. Everytime this happened, I took it as one day at a time and forgot the guilt the next day saying I am better than this.

I also added 3-5 minute meditation in the morning and occasionally write in a diary about this with stickers as rewards (stickers make me happy lol). I now have started tracking calories to 1350 calories a day (500 calorie deficit every day) to lose weight the right way.

I had gained 30 lbs from Feb to April 2015! May, I binged but don't know how many times. June, it has been just once (about 2000 calories) and overeating has been twice but I wouldn't call that binging (indulging would be eating a nice dessert compared to binging which was slaying 5000 calories in an hour). I am hopeful that I have a healthier future now!

It is frustrating to feel fat but stying positive is the way to go. Feel free to add me and see my diary if that helps.

My next step? Starting to weigh myself (always have been afraid to look at that number again) but finally I feel there might be a positive difference and that would be motivating. Will weigh myself only once a month. My 25th birthday is in November (just over 5 months) and I want to look my best (using this as a motivation).

Hoping for a healthier future for everyone! Cheers!
  • guptatul
    guptatul Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @MDAPebbles67 could you please share what is the Amino acid therapy and how it works? It sounds interesting!
  • walkdmc
    Options
    @Dennis4766 how soon after you started the amino acids did you lose the urge to binge?
  • akuji01
    akuji01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been having a hard time with binge eating. I'm trying motivation and behaviour changes (reprogramming). Mindfulness is good (when I remember to use/do it) also I like Vega one shakes and green+. Also the information on microbiomes is definitely motivational.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2015/06/gut-bacteria-on-the-brain/395918/

http://time.com/3936636/diet-gut-bacteria/
  • escapepod
    escapepod Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm working on overcoming binge eating, and I find for me it requires a multi-pronged approach.
    (1) I'm triggered by carbs / sugar - once I start eating them, it requires a herculean effort to stop. So, step one is to go low-carb. The first week is a struggle, but after that it gets much easier to resist. I also find higher protein intake helps with satisfaction and sugar cravings by keeping my blood sugar at a steadier level.
    (2) I'm an emotional / stress eater - I binge as a coping mechanism. I found amino acids helped me for awhile, I'd second the recommendation to read "The Diet Cure" by Julia Ross. There are many different kinds to try, depending on your personal experience. I've been taking L-Glutamine, GABA, and HTP-5, which seem to help keep me on a more even keel emotionally, which in turn helps with the binge eating. The L-Glutamine was almost like a miracle for me at first, completely killed the urge for sugar, but it no longer seems to be as effective for me.
    (3) To deal with stress, boredom, and other aspects of emotional eating, I'm also working on meditation, listening to podcasts on binge eating disorder, and working on exercising more regularly (as soon as my sprained ankle recovers this will get easier!!)
  • mae918
    mae918 Posts: 742 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    1) If I keep junk food out of the house and office, then that helps a LOT. I still struggle to the point of feeling shakey when I have a food craving--even if the food is not accessible unless I drive to the store to get it. I try to only go grocery shopping on good days when I do not have cravings. If I am in a grocery store on a day that I am struggling, it is torture-- so I am learning to plan ahead.

2) I also try to manage my stress better and recognize when I need a break at work or even at home. If my self-care is in a healthy place--then I am less likely to be stressed. And, if I am less stressed, I am less likely to binge.

3) At cookouts and holiday gatherings-- I try to keep busy, but I inevitably over-eat every time. (I tend to avoid a full-out binge in front of a crowd, but I definitely still over-eat...so I am working on this one.)

4) This mfp group is helping me tremendously because I feel accountable. As I watch each day go by that I didn't binge, I can coach myself that I can get through one more day. I am at 41 days now and I am really proud of that. Seeing how far I have come, helps me to keep pushing through the harder days.

5) I have also decided that it is okay to go to sleep just a little bit hungry if I ate well/healthy all day. There is no need to ruin a healthy day by binging at midnight. If I am hungry later in the night--this is my cue to get to bed.

6) And lastly, for the first time in my life-- I have begun to open up about how much of a struggle I have with binging. I have recently told my mom, my partner, and two of my friends. I didn't expect them to understand, but I surprising feel supported.