New to group!

Options
shewbedo58
shewbedo58 Posts: 2 Member
I'm looking for healthy TASTY alternatives to tasty UNHEALTHY foods!

Replies

• forme901
    forme901 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Me tooo but i have no idea of any sailong on tgw same boat shewbedo58 :/
  • showmanmd
    showmanmd Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Try mashed cauliflower. I over boil mine until its soft then sprinkle a little seasoning on top and mash it. Tastes just as good as mashed potatoes.
  • megisaloser
    megisaloser Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Agreed! Cauli-mash is the best! (If you have a food processor it's super easy and fast!) I break up the whole head of cauliflower in to smaller parts, sprinkle with garlic powder, and steam it until very soft (10-15 minutes). Then put the cauliflower, minced garlic, salt and pepper to taste in to the food processor until it's nice and smooth. It's not EXACTLY like mashed potatoes, but it's satisfying and delicious.
  • jgrebidue
    jgrebidue Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Emilybites.com and cookinglight.com have a ton of great recipes. Check them out.
  • leesandra25
    leesandra25 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Have you tried spaghetti squash? I cut mine in half. Clean it out. Place it in a glass cake pan upside down with a little water in bottom of pan. Microwave it for 10-15 minutes. Cool a little then scrape it out with a fork. It has the texture of pasta but without the carbs. I put a little light butter, salt and pepper on it and it is good! Some people put sauce on it like real spaghetti! Good substitute!
  • flicker73
    flicker73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. I just joined on Friday...finding out how to track everything....so much work right now.
    the tough part for me is when i go out to dinner, lol
  • BethSalz
    BethSalz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    flicker73 wrote: »
    Hi. I just joined on Friday...finding out how to track everything....so much work right now.

Hi there, I think I started Friday, also. I learning how to track and now watching my nutrition macros and seeing where I need to adjust. Best wishes!!
    ~Beth~
  • ljunesmith
    ljunesmith Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recently started as well... I think that it is kinda fun to do all the tracking. Plus when I enter everything I am much more aware of what I am eating and if it is worth the calorie content. When I see how many calories I have burned from exercise I helps to give me a sense of accomplishment.
  • clairepeppin91
    clairepeppin91 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there l have been on this FITNESS pal now for 3weeks l feel l am not going to reach my goal in time please help x
  • powell9376
    powell9376 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have been on mfp for 5 days now. I'm looking for recipes that I can find ingredients for. I live in a rural area where Wal-Mart is the only grocery store. My plan is to go to a farmer's market once a week to get fresh veggies. There's no way I'll find things like salmon or hummus here. If you don't farm it or hunt it, you won't find it!! :p
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Hummus is easy...buy canned chck peas or aalso known as garbonzo beans. Drain can add 1 tbs oil and about 1/2 cup water. Puree using stick blender, food processor or regular blender. Add juice of 1 lemon and hot sauce to taste. add more water if too thick. Enjoy with pepper strips. nothing exotic just yummy.
    another...
    cut zucchini in strips, dry on papper towel for 1hour to dry out. spray with pam or dip in egg wash. roll in bread crumbs. Bake at 350 for about 30 min till crispy

• conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    bump
  • teasrewards
    teasrewards Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    powell9376 wrote: »
    I have been on mfp for 5 days now. I'm looking for recipes that I can find ingredients for. I live in a rural area where Wal-Mart is the only grocery store. My plan is to go to a farmer's market once a week to get fresh veggies. There's no way I'll find things like salmon or hummus here. If you don't farm it or hunt it, you won't find it!! :p

You don't have to change the foods you like to eat, just eat less of it. Smaller portions is the key. Weigh it out to find out how much you are really eating. I like to eat out at Texas Roadhouse and what I do is immediately cut my steak and potato in half and only eat half and take the other half home to heat up for another meal. Yeah don't have to cook. Now if you like to eat sweets I would definitely try to cut out as much as possible. Maybe only have that sweet high calorie dessert on your eat up day that way you don't have to eat more which I found I couldn't do just eat higher caloried foods you like on your eat up days. (In case you don't know what an eat up day is, it is the days you eat at maintenance calories instead of deficit calories which should be once or twice a week. This resets your system to continue burning fat.)
  • teasrewards
    Options
    showmanmd wrote: »
    Try mashed cauliflower. I over boil mine until its soft then sprinkle a little seasoning on top and mash it. Tastes just as good as mashed potatoes.

This sounds good. Thanks for the recipe. I'm going to try it.
  • teasrewards
    edited July 2015
    Options
    jgrebidue wrote: »
    Emilybites.com and cookinglight.com have a ton of great recipes. Check them out.[/quote
  • teasrewards
    Options
    Emilybites.com and cookinglight.com have a ton of great recipes. Check them out.
    Have you tried spaghetti squash? I cut mine in half. Clean it out. Place it in a glass cake pan upside down with a little water in bottom of pan. Microwave it for 10-15 minutes. Cool a little then scrape it out with a fork. It has the texture of pasta but without the carbs. I put a little light butter, salt and pepper on it and it is good! Some people put sauce on it like real spaghetti! Good substitute!

What kind of squash do you use?
  • mttmize
    mttmize Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Look forward to adding what I can to the group!! And making the stuff others post
  • mickeygirlie
    mickeygirlie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com is great too
  • TinaJones69
    TinaJones69 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi there l have been on this FITNESS pal now for 3weeks l feel l am not going to reach my goal in time please help x

Hello,

What kind of squash do you use?

i Hi, I am just now joining. I will have to try the squash.
  • moondrake
    moondrake Posts: 37 Member
    Options

I steam broccoli and put homemade pasta sauce over that instead of pasta. I make the sauce with fresh tomatoes, long green onions, mushrooms, garlic, spinach and bell peppers sautéed in a little olive oil. I bought some gluten free organic spaghetti made from edamame at Costco but I haven't tried it yet. The nutrition profile looks good, though, 200cals, 2 g fat, 21 g carbs, 24 G protein, 5 mg sodium per serving. Ingredients are edamame and water. I'll be trying it out sometime this week. I'll be surprised if I like it as well as broccoli as I could eat my weight in that stuff, but I like all the protein in this. I don't like meat so protein is hard for me.