Water, Do We Listen to Our Body or Not?

Options
DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
Time and time again, we hear the mantras:
Listen to your body.
Drink lots of water.

Ok, on the water. My body doesn't ask for more water, unless I don't drink enough. That would be about less than 4 cups a day for me. I have lived that way for all my life. So I get on the Keto WOE and am told to drink a minimum of 8 cups a day. I'm ok with that, even though some days I struggle drinking that much. And I have heard that a person should take their weight in lbs, divide by 2 and that's how many ounces of water they should drink a day. In my case, 232 /2 = 116 oz. That's 14.5 cups or almost a gallon of water.

Now, when I drink 4-6 cups during morning/lunch time, I start peeing a lot. All afternoon. My pee looks like water, hardly any yellowness to it. I can not even imagine drinking a gallon of water a day. I would be peeing all day long. I have work to do, not spend it in the bathroom.

So, If I listen to my body and see that the pee is like water and I don't have a dehydration headache and I'm not thirsty ... (I'm listening) it must be telling me I'm drinking too much water?

Or maybe I should drink tiny amounts evenly spaced out all day?
Or maybe the mantra of "Drink lots of water" is bogus?
Or the mantra of "Listen to your body" is bogus?
Or none of the above?

Please advise....

Dan the Man from Michigan
It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
DittoDan's Keto Blogs
How I got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto
Blog #11 Really Good Keto Websites
Low Carb Discussion Group on MFP (LCD)
Ketogenic Diet Discussion Group on MFP

Replies

• me_ona_diet
    me_ona_diet Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's different for everyone. I know that once your body gets used to the increased water intake, the frequency of urination goes down - I used to drink 4L a day when I was on Atkins years ago (that's just over a gallon) and my body adapted - I didn't keep it up though, I dropped it to 2-3 L a day because 4 was a little much (I was literally ALWAYS drinking.) So I imagine that everyone probably has their ideal water consumption level, and if you feel that you've reached yours, I'd go by that. I've had 80oz today, and right now I'm tapped out. There's no way I could squeeze another oz in, and it's not really a good feeling. So I'm maybe drinking it too fast, and need to spread it out a bit more. I'll listen to what my body is telling me.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

Personally, I think so, but I don't know where the idea came from. LC can dehydrate you a bit more than a SAD diet, but there's no specific additional intake of water needed. You normally take in about 2.5 liters per day, but a lot of that is in your food.

If you're dehydrated, drink more water. Pinch the skin on the back of your hand. If it doesn't return to normal instantly, you may be dehydrated. Same with dark urine.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    DittoDan wrote: »

Personally, I think so, but I don't know where the idea came from. LC can dehydrate you a bit more than a SAD diet, but there's no specific additional intake of water needed. You normally take in about 2.5 liters per day, but a lot of that is in your food.

If you're dehydrated, drink more water. Pinch the skin on the back of your hand. If it doesn't return to normal instantly, you may be dehydrated. Same with dark urine.

Or you just may be old ;)

There's more to it than just LC or not, it's also about how active you are, about how much of the liquid you take in is caffeinated (it counts, but not as much as plain water because of the diuretic effect), if you smoke - cigarettes or otherwise, what meds you're on - the list goes on. The generic 8/day guideline is based on the "ideal" person, one who is also eating their 5 a day of veggies, exercising 3-5 times a week, etc.

If you're at the point that it's clear, you probably don't need to force that much, but it's not doing any harm, either.
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm personally in the "drink lots of water" camp, because I seriously can't tell the difference when my body is saying "I'm thirsty" vs. "I'm hungry." Either I'm a poor listener, or my body is a poor talker. :smile:

My food cravings are a lot less if I stay super-duper-hydrated (I aim for at least 96oz, up to the 1/2 body weight in ounces...or try to, it's easier on work days than on weekends). If I'm drinking that much water, and my body is still telling me I need something, it must be actual hunger or a nutrient that I need. I also notice that my skin & GI tract are both much happier if I'm super hydrated.

But I don't think it's for everyone, and I think there's probably a huge variance in how bodies react to that much water.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    but it's not doing any harm, either.

True, but as an interesting aside, that's how some endurance athletes have gotten sick or died. They lose a bunch of electrolytes via sweat, then drink a bunch of water, and lose more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    If your urine looks normal then I suppose I wouldn't worry? I've always been a thirsty person. 4 glasses of water would be horrible for me but if it works for you then go for it.

I've never seen my mother drink a glass of watee. Ever!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I go for the moderation approach and say yes to most of the questions above.

I do have the water goal of 120 oz per day (I weigh 240), but I drink to the nearly-clear urine color, as indicated as optimal on the "dehydration reference cards" you can find graphics about anywhere online of your goals.

I was telling someone earlier, that I usually end up around 80-100 oz. per day. I do not count only water. I also know I get some liquid in my food. So essentially, I view this "goal" much like calories, it's a rough estimate, but I don't know what my body is going to need.

If I get under 80, I start feeling kind of crummy (and the salt cravings start). If I get below 60, I'll retain water like I'm in the Sahara and I'll start getting muscle cramps...(and all manner of cravings rage on).

I figure most people treat water about like protein (8 glasses a day = 64 oz is kind of the minimum threshold unless you weigh close to 100 pounds, give or take 20 pounds - then that weight-based goal is kind of the upper threshold), but your body needs more water when it's hot or you workout heavily and all that...

So my theory basically is this: set a realistic type goal, then listen to your body along the way.

Most people probably get more water from their food, especially if they eat veggies...which I don't eat many of...but every single person's needs are different - and even different from day to day, etc. So nothing is set in stone...listen to your body's multiple signals....
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

True, but as an interesting aside, that's how some endurance athletes have gotten sick or died. They lose a bunch of electrolytes via sweat, then drink a bunch of water, and lose more.

This is what always concerns me when I see LCHFers being told to drink water. now drink some more! had enough? NOPE! I wish the emphasis were on sipping throughout the day, rather than making it seem as though we oughta hook our faces up to the garden hose.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I'm like you @DittoDan I don't get really thirsty unless I'm exercising which is rare or it's really hot which is even rarer here and I'm not sure I get 95oz(I don't really think in oz for water) a day. I probably never have. I just go by thirst. I have two large mugs herbal tea in the morning. A 500ml diet coke with lunch (yes I know I shouldn't), then a few large glasses water with dinner, and sometimes a glass of wine. Tbh a lot of my water consumption is from washing down my supplements! I have to learn to take them earlier in the day so I don't wake up in the night.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I'm like you @DittoDan I don't get really thirsty unless I'm exercising which is rare or it's really hot which is even rarer here and I'm not sure I get 95oz(I don't really think in oz for water) a day. I probably never have. I just go by thirst. I have two large mugs herbal tea in the morning. A 500ml diet coke with lunch (yes I know I shouldn't), then a few large glasses water with dinner, and sometimes a glass of wine. Tbh a lot of my water consumption is from washing down my supplements! I have to learn to take them earlier in the day so I don't wake up in the night.

As long as your urine isn't neon or dark, that sounds reasonable to me! Only thing I would say is that you do need liquid at night even if you have to get up to pee. Having 1 8-oz cup of water right before bed dramatically reduces stroke risks... They are discovering now that dehydration compounds any other factors there.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    glossbones wrote: »

This is what always concerns me when I see LCHFers being told to drink water. now drink some more! had enough? NOPE! I wish the emphasis were on sipping throughout the day, rather than making it seem as though we oughta hook our faces up to the garden hose.

Do you realize how much water you have to drink in how little of a time to have this effect? It's quite difficult to do without exertion or intention.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

As long as your urine isn't neon or dark, that sounds reasonable to me! Only thing I would say is that you do need liquid at night even if you have to get up to pee. Having 1 8-oz cup of water right before bed dramatically reduces stroke risks... They are discovering now that dehydration compounds any other factors there.

Erg....I'd rather sleep! But I hear what you say.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Only thing I would say is that you do need liquid at night even if you have to get up to pee. Having 1 8-oz cup of water right before bed dramatically reduces stroke risks... They are discovering now that dehydration compounds any other factors there.

Links to sources for this? Dehydration may compound other factors, but if one is well-hydrated during the day I can't see how at night your tissues would lose all that water. And interrupted sleep would seem to be the greater of 2 evils.

• KnitOrMiss
    edited June 2015
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Only thing I would say is that you do need liquid at night even if you have to get up to pee. Having 1 8-oz cup of water right before bed dramatically reduces stroke risks... They are discovering now that dehydration compounds any other factors there.

Links to sources for this? Dehydration may compound other factors, but if one is well-hydrated during the day I can't see how at night your tissues would lose all that water. And interrupted sleep would seem to be the greater of 2 evils.

I'll have to find the articles next week.

https://www.water-revolution.com/ImportanceOfWater.aspx

I think this was the water article that triggered my research.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I drink to thirst. I've always assumed that your urine isn't only water it's electrolytes too so frequent urination isn't a good thing. Really, I don't have a clue if that's true or not but this obsession with always having water with you is a new thing and I don't think it's evidence based.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I drink only when thirsty or when I want coffee. I drink a lot of coffee though. So I do drink a fair amount.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I don't trust my body and drink when this app I have tells me to. But my neurological issues are extremely compounded by even slight dehydration. I drink around 150 oz per day because that's half of the equation to keeping my blood pressure high enough. For most people without compounding health issues I think drinking too thirst is good.