Establishing new habits

Options
jeanmrob
jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
I was reading an article about establishing new habits ....and they suggested it takes several weeks at least before something we do becomes a habit. For years I have walked to town every morning and regard this as a habit ....I don't even think about it, I just do it!
They suggested tying an action you want to establish as a habit to another action as a reminder ....an action that is not a choice but a necessity. So I have decided that every time I go to the toilet. ...the necessity! Lol I will then drink a glass of water.......this will then become a habit! And by the very nature of the two things I will be drinking more water which is of course, the aim of the exercise!

Anyone else have good habit forming strategies

Jean

Replies

• DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    ok, I am going to use this thread for the issue I am struggling with this morning. I do pretty well with my exercise. I do very well with eating healthy meals. The habit that I have not been able thus far to establish is recording my calories! I have seen so many of you lose huge amounts and I am willing to bet that every one of you used this tool! I KNOW its an effective tool, I have managed to use it in the past, but I was so on and off with it in mfp that I have not even bothered with it for quite a while. Has anyone else had this problem? Any helpful advice is more than welcome!
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    @DreamOn145 once I started logging my foods right after I ate them, I finally got into the swing of it. I have the advantage of being retired, so I have the time to check in three times a day. It also helps me remember to correct my prelogged items. Meal done, dishes to do, but first, whip out the phone and log or correct the prelog. I do the same when we eat out.
  • sharondtd
    Options
    Jean, your water idea is great. Prime the pump!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    DreamOn, I used to be awful at logging and yes, training myself to log has resulted in much better results for me.
    I do check in multiple times throughout the day, I record breakfast after eating it, I record lunch after eating that, I also prelog any snacks, and I record dinner after eating it, and if I need to tweak any entries, I do it then or if I am busy or going out, I return right before bed to do a final tweak. This works for me. I do have MFPals who find prelogging the day is what has helped them, they don't want to have to go back to tweak. Whatever works.

Having the ability to scan product codes with my phone helped a LOT at first. Now I can usually find an item in the database, but I always check what the dbase says a count is, some people subtract net carbs etc. so I try to find the usda info or check against calorieking.com, or the company website if I ate at a restaurant with nutritional info. Calorieking. com is a great resource. I started using that one while doing WW, ages ago.

I have found that for me, the act of weighing and measuring encourages the entry activity, I worked hard to get it right I want to record that victory. Ever meal that is logged accurately is a small victory in the battle against the bulge :wink:

More than anything else it is your attitude. Do you want to lose weight or do you just say you want to? Unless you can track your food, know your calorie needs, and match those up properly, you are not going to lose permanently. We are older now, we can't rely on losing weight at some vague date in the future. We should do it now. And then eat at maintenance levels going forward (like Jean and Bobbie are doing for some good role model examples).
  • retirehappy
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Jean, I would add to also have a glass after you are done brushing/flossing your teeth. It always seems to be the best drink I have all day long. Drinking water has never been my issue, I don't bother logging it, but I know plenty, like my husband, that just don't drink much water.

The habit I need to develop is eating more slowly. I am just about always the first to finish a meal. Comes from eating at work so much. In fact this is what I am going to use as my challenge this month. I need to pause, take a breath, and LOOK at what I am eating, first. Then put down my cutlery between bites. I am going to try and make my meals at least 20 mins. long going forwards. Since eating the meal is a necessity, I think this follows your logic B)
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Jean, I see this time and again for in at work. I am a move coordinator, and when I have an initial move meeting, I tell people moving to new offices that they should hold complaints about their new space configurations and changes they would like to make for 6 weeks. After 6 weeks they have created new habits and don't know why they had complaints in the first place!
  • mamamiau
    mamamiau Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Late to this party, but: water. I finally figured out that I am likely to keep sipping if I have a *normal* size serving of water handy. So instead of a big 1.5 liter bottle, I will keep an open 12 oz. can nearby. Also discovered St. Croix makes 12 oz. cans in nifty zero-calorie, unsweetened flavors like "peach and pear" and others so I can switch it up.
  • DreamOn145
    Options
    Well these first couple of days have really shown me how long it has been since I did journal! I have spent the last two days adding recipes for the things we do eat regularly now, and I still have a ways to go with that. I know that getting back on the journaling wagon has a lot to do with having those things in the system and being able simply click on them.

Did manage to journal and close out my day for two days. Working on day three! It's also, of course, that same old rude awakening about how many calories I am actually eating!
  • grandmothercharlie
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @DreamOn145 Don't forget that after the first time you eat something that you eat regularly, save it as a meal. Then you can find it easily. If you don't eat everything that went that that meal, you can delete those items, but it makes it quicker. I save my restaurant meals with first the number of calories, then the name of the restaurant, then a description of the meal. But, you could do the same thing at home. By putting in the calories in the title, you can easily scan when you are trying to figure what you can have with your remaining calories.
  • bvifun
    bvifun Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'm becoming an extreme charter. I have spreadsheets for my weight, my monthly goals and how many servings of fruit and vegetables I have a day. When starting MFP I knew I had to tap into my minimum obsessive skills and so MFP was my main focus for many months. I would log food every time I ate but then I am not good at planning meals. It meant some days I was over and most days under but as long as the week averaged out I was happy and it worked for me.
    I do find setting monthly goals with a community helps. I'm now doing it on this group and with another great group on MFP called 3 Things Monthly Challenge. These 3 things are not always diet and fitness goals so I find that helps me find other things to work on now I am in maintenance. Let me know if any of you would like an invite to that group.

Jean, if I tried your water trick I would never leave the bathroom. It's so hot here that it is easy to drink lots.

Eating slowly is one thing that I did change...most of the time....but I still have signs up around the house to remind me. Eating very fast for over 60 years may never change without reminders.

I remember reading years ago that it takes 21 days to establish a new habit. I've never succeeded at that in as little as 21 days....maybe 21 months/years lol.

There is a new book out on this very topic that I have on hold from the library. It is called Better Than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Life by Gretchen Rubin. I like her writing so I am looking forward to reading this.

Wanda
  • DreamOn145
    Options
    Jean, thanks for reminding me about saving meals! I had completely forgotten about that. Now that I am having to enter the recipes for what we are eating now, and looking for new ones, that will be a very handy tool. I have found in the past that once I start journaling consistently the rude reminder of how much I am actually eating will start to pull me into line!

bv I have read so many self help books! Lets see last year I remember reading one about willpower and one start forming habits! lol Still, if in any one you learn one new trick that is helpful, it was worth the read. So please let us know what you think of the book.
  • grandmothercharlie
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @bvifun: Wanda, I love excel. Drives my family and co-workers crazy because I spreadsheet everything! If I can't make a spreadsheet, it isn't worth doing! :D I'm preparing to leave for vacation. I have spreadsheets on travel times, routing and rest stops, groceries, packing lists, etc.
  • mamamiau
    Options
    @DreamOn145 Don't forget that after the first time you eat something that you eat regularly, save it as a meal. Then you can find it easily. If you don't eat everything that went that that meal, you can delete those items, but it makes it quicker. I save my restaurant meals with first the number of calories, then the name of the restaurant, then a description of the meal. But, you could do the same thing at home. By putting in the calories in the title, you can easily scan when you are trying to figure what you can have with your remaining calories.

Great tip!
  • mamamiau
    Options
    bvifun wrote: »
    I'm becoming an extreme charter. I have spreadsheets for my weight, my monthly goals and how many servings of fruit and vegetables I have a day.
    Wanda

I'm right there with you and Charlie. The weight reports on MFP aren't flexible enough for me. (7 days or 6 months? Please!) I have an Excel sheet for each month and I enter weight, calories, water, fruits/vegetable servings, and whether or not I exercised that day and I've included a line chart of my weight. I fill in the last day of each sheet with my goal weight for that month
  • sharondtd
    Options
    Spreadsheets! Awesome! Satisfying on so many levels.
  • grandmothercharlie
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @mamamiau: Fitbit offers great stats/reports and are exportable as .xls or .csv formats. You can choose your time frame. Once downloaded, you can sort, filter and tally however you want. You get a separate worksheet for weight loss and BMI; Steps, miles, activity, food (I just get totals as I log food in MFP so it only totals calories for the various meals, but that is enough, etc.); sleep. Love the activity spread sheet because it even tells you how many minutes you were at each level: sedentary, lightly active, etc. This is part of the FREE version. You don't have to pay extra.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Those free reports are under Settings, Data export. You get to settings from the dashboard's gear icon on the top right hand side.

https://www.fitbit.com/user/profile/edit