diabetic friendly sweets

raleighgoodwins
raleighgoodwins Posts: 68 Member
I have been under a lot of stress lately and I tend to stress eat - mostly sweets - when that happens. Does anyone have any suggestions or resources for diabetic friendly sweets - ice cream, candy or desserts (chocolate) that I could have in limited amounts without making my blood sugar sky rocket?

Replies

• peterh4565
    peterh4565 Posts: 2 Member
    Candies you are pretty good with Atkins anything. I like the peanut butter cups and chocolate candies (like M&M's). I like Nestle Outshine bars (Ice Pops in rasberry, strawberry and orange), Halo Top Ice cream is low carb as well, breyers makes low carb vanilla pops with chocolate coating, and the standard for me is sugar free cherry jello with whip cream. Per all of the above I always carry the Atkins M&M's, and Worthers sugar free caramel hard candies on me. Helps keep me from cheating when I have something low net carb available at all times. Good luck!
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    My only suggestion is blueberries or strawberries with a protein.
  • Itsjustme86
    Itsjustme86 Posts: 116 Member
    If I am craving sweet I have one piece of dark no sugar added chocolate! Since becoming diabetic almost 6 months ago and never eating sweet food I find even this one tiny piece of chocolate almost to sweet!

Have you considered exercise to help with stress? I find a walk at lunch time wayy better then when I used to eat my stress away!
  • Bookwitch
    Bookwitch Posts: 33 Member
    My suggestion is yogurt. Or better yet get out of the house and go for a walk or something mwhen youre stressed. I have found that diabetic sweets arent very good, they cost more and I dont know bout anybody else, but they go right through me
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Google "fat bomb recipes" for sites like this:
    http://nobunplease.com/14-fabulous-fat-bomb-recipes/
  • rbakedq
    rbakedq Posts: 142 Member
    I recently tried KIND bars. Around 200 cals, and 15-17 carbs.
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Most berries (better if eaten together with a couple of walnuts) or 80%> chocolate in small amounts. Eat to your meter and see what works for you. YMMV
  • drofjustice
    drofjustice Posts: 5 Member
    I have been a stress eater with a sweet tooth. This is terrible for diabetes. I recently read a book, Made to Crave, which gave me a new perspective on my eating. Meeting the urge to eat sweets is defeating. I have my plan, but sticking with it is truly beyond my control. Now I use a more spiritual approach with meditation and prayer to get through those urges. Success makes me healthier, happier, and proud. This does not mean that I never eat sweets, rather that I never eat sweets when triggered by stress, boredom, or craving. I will have a spoonful of my husband's dessert with my coffee, so long as it fits within my plan.
    I can't count on my family or even myself to manage my disease well. This is well documented in my history. I can't change that stores have candy at the checkouts, or that my sons will bring home Oreos. I needed to look beyond my faulty self-control and accept the help offered by my God. Go figure. I can't believe it took me so many decades to find the answer that was staring me in the face all along.
    Thank God for the first six months of the rest of my life: 50# down, 5 sizes smaller, running for fun, off insulin, A1c down from 8.4 to 5.1, and at peace with who God made me.
  • snetterv
    snetterv Posts: 7 Member
    I find if I can go 2 weeks without eating sweets, I don't crave them as much. I go to the store when I am full, and I don't go down the sweet aisle, it's too tempting. I don't bring it in the house so I don't have access when the craving starts, it always passes. I usually only crave sweets at night so when I do crave sweets I usually eat some honey nut cherrios but only if I've kept my carbs low enough at supper. Cherrios have the least carbs at 20g for plain and 22 for honey nut.
  • grean326
    grean326 Posts: 11 Member
    Hi raleighgoodwins! I have had a lot issues trying to find both sweets and snacks. I made a video on YouTube that may be helpful with some ideas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcqxP5hfEtE
  • 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    Quest bars are awesome. Chocolate chip cookie dough tastes like the real thing with only 30 of sugar. Also, breyers carb smart ice cream.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    I'd also second the suggestion of trying to find another way to deal with the stress. The suggestions of going for a walk or getting out of the house are great ones. I used to stress eat at work A LOT, and constantly. My BG was running high all the time because of it....I never gave it a chance to regulate. I traded my snacks for walking shoes, and have been much better for it ever since. Good Luck!
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 453 Member
    I keep a limited amount of "almost legal" treats around and limit how often I "treat" myself.
    As already mentioned, once you cut back on sweets, they seem TOO sweet.

I sometimes have 2 graham crackers with coffee.
    Or vanilla wafers.
    Or 2 Milano cookies.
    Or 6 dark chocolate m&ms. (unless chocolate sends you into a spiral)

Measure out your portion, close the box, put it back on the shelf and WALK AWAY.

Whatever you nibble, eat it SLOWWWWLY.
    Put it on a nice plate. Sit down at the table. Make it a TREAT you can savor.

Try alternatives like:

half a small container of low-fat chocolate yogurt
    3 crackers and some cheese or peanut butter.
    green olives <--cuts the craving for sweets
    carrot sticks <--keeps your mouth busy chewing

Avoid "sugar free" foods. This stuff is (for me) WORSE than real sugar. Many of these foods contain maltodextrose, which is corn. It can actually raise your BS levels higher and faster than real sugar. I just realized I had to give up
    sugar free popsicles. *sob sob sob* Products like Crystal Light.. it was POISON for me. I can eat 2 candybars and not suffer the SICK result I got with Crystal Light. I thought my head was going to explode.

The tips given here for dealing with stress are good ones. Distraction, exercise...

I am not offering my suggestions as any kind of expert. We are all different.
    And let's face it. Type2 is no joke. It's NOT EASY to deal with. We still have to EAT and sometimes, to me, it feels like EVERY food is The Enemy.

And that creates its own kind of stress. Don't I know it.

Every day is a challenge and only others who are in the same boat can really appreciate the struggle.

Hang in there. <3