keto vs lchf

Options
fancyroberts
fancyroberts Posts: 75 Member
Can someone explain to me the differences (other than the carb limits) or keto vs LCHF? should I start off in Keto then move to LCHF? I don't get it! :neutral:

Replies

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm both keto and lchf ;) keto is basically just keeping carbs under 20 a day from what I understand.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    There are no official definitions. Feel free to make up your own. :)

Historically, "keto" referred to the medical ketogenic diet. But there are at least 4 versions of that diet being used for treatment of epilepsy, so you won't even find a good definition there. They all are some version of LCHF, including a modified Atkins diet and a low-glycemic diet.
  • fancyroberts
    Options
    so what is the benefit?? Why do people do keto?
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    If you get into ketosis, you body burns fat instead of the glycogen from the carbs you eat. From what I've read you need to eat very low carbs, under 25 net, and high protein/high fat for about 48 hours to get into ketosis. But I am on day 4 of LCHF and I am still showing negative for ketones (using pee strips). But I have lost 2lbs in 5 days. Probably water weight, but I'm going to stick with it for a month and see how it goes.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    My understanding is than generally low carb is anything under 100 grams daily (though some sources say 150 grams daily). Keto is considered to be much lower - usually that 20 grams range. With the lower range, your body will more fully convert it's system, but there are no hard and fast rules. In fact most of us use a range to determine our goals.

What I would liken this to a square (Keto) being a type of rectangle (LCHF), but not all rectangles are squares...
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    That was the other part I forgot to say above - for some people, LCHF is sufficient to lose weight and gain health. Others, like me with insulin resistance and other problems, require something more intense like a Ketogenic diet for strong success rates.

Best recommendation is to start out around 100 grams of carbs a day (set your protein high enough to maintain muscles for most women, that's usually 60-120 grams a day), and fill in the rest with fats.

Lower your carbs (make one change a week or so) until your cravings stop and you feel better, starting losing weight, etc. Only you can figure out what feels best for YOU!
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Keto is one form of LCHF. There are lots of ways to eat low carb, the key importance being that you find the way that works for you, personally (by 'works' I mean that it affords you enough to eat until you are satisfied and still lose weight). The High Fat part, however, is not optional. If you reduce your carbs to a very low amount you must replace that energy source with fat. You cannot replace it with protein. Protein is a building block, not a fuel.
  • wabmester
    Options
    As you can see, everybody has their own definition. :)

If you want to lose weight, don't eat. You'll make lots of ketones. No fat intake required. No squares or rectangles involved.

If you must eat, eat low carb. That seems to work for a lot of people, especially the insulin resistant.
  • yeswehave8
    yeswehave8 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    FTR, I don't recommend simply not eating. :wink: When I go out of ketosis, it takes me 4 days or so to get back in. I can maintain a good level (moderate) with carbs around 40 gm/ day. Like others have said, YMMV... we are all individuals and are metabolisms and results are just as much individual.
  • wabmester
    Options
    yeswehave8 wrote: »
    When I go out of ketosis, it takes me 4 days or so to get back in.

I'll let you into my secret. After too many carbs, I extend my after-dinner fast to around noon the next day, go for a run, and my ketostix are purple by the end of the run. Fasting is ketogenic (the ORIGINAL ketogenic diet), and so is exercise.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Keto means significant levels of blood ketone for example >0.5 mmol/l

LCHF probably means >50% fat and <20% carbs which may or may not be ketogenic
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I liken it to shapes -- LCHF is a rectangle, keto is a square. Keto is LCHF, but not all LCHF is keto.

Primarily, the difference lies in the goal of ketosis. LCHF doesn't necessarily care about ketosis, while the entire goal of keto is to be in the ketogenic state. Most often, this manifests as higher carb levels than what can produce enough ketones to be considered "in ketosis" by keto circles.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    dewsmom78 wrote: »
    If you get into ketosis, you body burns fat instead of the glycogen from the carbs you eat. From what I've read you need to eat very low carbs, under 25 net, and high protein/high fat for about 48 hours to get into ketosis. But I am on day 4 of LCHF and I am still showing negative for ketones (using pee strips). But I have lost 2lbs in 5 days. Probably water weight, but I'm going to stick with it for a month and see how it goes.

That doesn't really mean anything. Ketostix are for monitoring T1 diabetes. Using them to check for steady ketosis isn't how they work. If you test negative, there's still a 50/50 chance you're in ketosis.
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    My understanding is than generally low carb is anything under 100 grams daily (though some sources say 150 grams daily). Keto is considered to be much lower - usually that 20 grams range. With the lower range, your body will more fully convert it's system, but there are no hard and fast rules. In fact most of us use a range to determine our goals.

What I would liken this to a square (Keto) being a type of rectangle (LCHF), but not all rectangles are squares...

This best explains it.

• DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    yeswehave8 wrote: »
    When I go out of ketosis, it takes me 4 days or so to get back in.

I'll let you into my secret. After too many carbs, I extend my after-dinner fast to around noon the next day, go for a run, and my ketostix are purple by the end of the run. Fasting is ketogenic (the ORIGINAL ketogenic diet), and so is exercise.

I'm feeling exhausted and I was sorely tempted to blow off my 8 mile run. I'm tired! It's still 90 degrees at 7:30PM! I just want to chill and then go to bed! But I was weirdly forced to eat more carbs than I wanted to at lunch today (long story - don't ask!) and your message gave me the motivation I needed to go hit the road. I'm off!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

I don't know whether to be flattered that you used my analogy, or annoyed that I missed that you used it. :drinker:
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Keto means significant levels of blood ketone for example >0.5 mmol/l

LCHF probably means >50% fat and <20% carbs which may or may not be ketogenic

That is my take on the meaning as well. I go for Keto and do it with very low carbs (<50 grams daily), medium protein (around 75 grams daily) a make the rest from Fats.

• fancyroberts
    Options
    Thanks for all the great input. So from what I gather from you all is that it is really a personal thing. I think I will go back to the 50g range and take it from there....I have a hard time with under 20g right now....I get bored after a few weeks.
    Thanks so much!
  • TXMary2
    TXMary2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think with LCHF the "low carb" part is relative. For some 100g carbs is "low" but for me - I stick to 20 or less a day, with very few exceptions.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

I don't know whether to be flattered that you used my analogy, or annoyed that I missed that you used it. :drinker:

Blame it on my logical math brain! lol
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @fancyroberts we all have to find our level where our bodies get comfortable. I've done this ZC WOE for so long now that I would be hard pressed to eat that many. But more power to you! Hope it works out good for you!