Strength training for the SUPER weak

Options
AlixStark
AlixStark Posts: 16 Member
Hey everyone. I know the importance of strength training, and although I absolutely -hate- the way it feels to pick up heavy things, I'm committed to changing my body so I need to suck it up.

That said, I'm ridiculously weak. Far too weak for Stronglifts or Starting Strength - I can't do any of the exercises with an empty bar. I can't even keep good form squatting body weight only. My daughter weighs 17 pounds and I can only "bench" her like 7-8 times before my arms go jelly. I know, it's pathetic.

So my question is, could anyone help me come up with a full body strength workout that I can actually do, until I build the muscle to do a "real" program? I've looked online but everything I'm finding is out of my ability level (push ups, pull ups, burpees...) and so I get discouraged and give up.

My available equipment is a full Olympic weight set with a power rack (my husband does Stronglifts), and 15 pound barbells. I don't have any expendable income right now for new equipment.

Thank you for any ideas!

Replies

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises. You don't need to lift weights to start with (or ever, if you want). There are great programs out there...my favourite app is You Are Your Own Gym - has some set exercises as well as a bunch of various exercises you can put together for a workout. The other one that I've used is the Nerd Fitness one.
  • nmcknny
    nmcknny Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I started with a book called Strong Women Stay Young by Miriam Nelson of Tufts University--it's a little old now but the program is good (still available). It uses dumbbells up to 20 lbs and ankle weights; there are instructions for machines, too, so you could do the program in a gym and lift heavier weights. Bodyweight exercises are included to vary/add to the routine.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Use the equipment you have. Start with one set, one rep. Add to that as you start to develop some strength, you don't have to be Wonder Woman from the start. You can substitute cans that are 1 or 2 lbs. and remember the gallon water/milk jug when full is 8 lbs. for dumbbells or kettlebells. Check the local thrift stores, they usually have sets of dumbbells that are almost free. If you really want it, you will find a way.

Here is a post by sarauk2sf of the Eat, Train, Progress group, for using dumbbells instead of bar bells.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/902569 using dumbells only no bar.

Strong women is a good starter program once you have dumbbells as well.

All the best in your efforts.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    @mymodernbabylon hit the nail on the head. Stsrt with bodyweight movements. This is absolutely the best foundation of strength you can build. Pushups, pullups, tricep dips on chairs, planks, and maybe some variations with resistance bands.
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Good on you for wanting to start strength training. When I started back in August of 2014, I also couldn't lift very much. I benched two, 10lb dumbbells for a total of 20lbs and it was hard. I'm now up to 65lbs on the bar :-) I know that in the beginning, bodyweight exercises can be REALLY challenging. Sometimes, they are much more difficult than lifting weights ie the elusive pull-up, so my advice is to google bodyweight exercise but type in "variations" after each one.
    Examples
    Push-Ups: Wall-Push Ups, Incline Push-ups (like on a bench or stairs) and knee push-ups
    eblvr5lf1nv7.jpg

Pull-Ups: Use one or two resistance bands on the bar that you put your foot in, to assist
    71zbk6kmb04p.jpg

Deadlifts: Use your two 15lb dumbbells to start with deadlifts. That's 30lbs! With your other exercises, maybe you'll soon be able to deadlift the barbell, which is usually around 45lbs.
    tj4wupj0gr3h.jpg

Tricep Dips: If doing them on a chair seems like too much, try them on the floor (floor dips). It's a tiny movement but I find them easier than dips on the chair.
    kpnvlccv9pfq.jpg

Planks: If you need to work on your core, like most of us do, start with a plank variation.
    vl503obr19zc.jpg

Finally, I think there are a lot of things that you could do with the weights from the olympic set. Google "use weight plates as kettlebells" and "exercises using weight plates" and a few different articles pop-up. This article for example, includes a full-body workout using only one weight plate. You could start with whatever weight you can manage. Watch the second video on the page....
    Goblet Squat & Press
    Reverse Lunge
    Single Leg Deadlift with One Arm Row
    Push-Up to Plate
    Squat & Biceps Curl
    Overhead Triceps Extension
    Halos
    Plate Reaches
    Plate Push
    stack.com/2013/06/12/single-weight-plate-workout/