Steel Cut Oats - Question

Options
getup25
getup25 Posts: 119 Member
The nutritional info on the container says 1/4 cup = 150 calories. The recipe on the box says 1/4 cup to 1 cup water. When I use the bar scanner, it changes to 1/2 cup cooked = 150 calories. I measured it today because I looked and thought it was more than 1/2 cup. Following the recipe on the box I get 3/4 cup cooked. I searched the discussions here and one link said that the final volume will vary depending on how much water you use. Water is zero calories so there is no difference in the calories of the final volume. I'm using the recipe on the container, but yet it is producing more. Does anyone know what is correct? Due to health reasons I can't exercise at the moment and I want to stay within my 1300 calories.

Replies

• kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure which would be the most accurate, but labelling on packages can often be deceiving. If there is a discrepancy, I would personally use a count/measurement I located for a prepared version (1/2 cup cooked = 150 calories). Presuming you are using actual steel cut oats (vs a flavored packaged cereal), maybe do a few searches outside of MFP to see what else pops up for comparison///
  • drags59
    drags59 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've found www.calorielab.com helpful as well, as I have seen a lot of inconsistency in counting the calories, carbs, protein, etc.
  • violetsrblue
    violetsrblue Posts: 8 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi there! For this reason, many of us MFP USERS are also likely to utilize kitchen scales for portion accuracy. Personally, I use the calorie king website to find the calories per ounce in any hard to measure or non-labeled foods like fruits and veggies. You can find the calorie count for oats, dry per ounce, add it to your foods then weigh out in ounces your desired amount based on your calorie goal. Add water and cook however you want and you can be sure it's accurate! I like this especially because I can measure accurately all additions to things like smoities that can quickly add up in calories if you don't pay attention:-)Good luck!
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have found and use entries for fruit and vegetables that go by weight! What is a 'medium' carrot?
  • violetsrblue
    violetsrblue Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Kimberwolf71- exactly! What is a medium carrot?! I like to just use calorie king to find the regular things I consume by weight and enter them in as my own foods so they're always ready and easy for me to select. So, I enter everything into my foods as one oz serving. That way I put some grapes, for example, in a bowl on the scale that looks like the amount I want, say 4 oz, then when I log it I just put 4 servings of grapes and it multiplies the 1 oz serving accordingly. That was if I do half ounces like for onion or something when cooking I can just log .5 servings:-) hope this helps.
  • getup25
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I will check out the other websites. I do prefer to use a scale.
  • bronkeekong
    bronkeekong Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of the nutritional info on the back of the box of microwave popcorn. Conflicting numbers.
  • kaziethakid
    kaziethakid Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You might be scanning the wrong product
  • getup25
    Options
    It's the upc from the container. I make them from scratch not from a pack.
  • llbennett74
    llbennett74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I use the nutrition for 1/4 uncooked. I make mine from scratch too.
  • Honeybear79
    Honeybear79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use the nutrition for 1/4 cup cooked also. I make 4 servings at once on the weekend, divide it 4 ways and eat it during the week. You can also cook it overnight in a crockpot.