Alcohol

Options
dewsmom78
dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
Vodka doesn't have any carbs, so if I have a drink mixed with diet or club soda, will it mess it up if I am in ketosis? Does anyone have a drink every now and then and doesn't affect your weight loss?

Replies

• tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Does for some, not for others. Alcohol sugars shouldn't affect you, but everyone is different.
    http://nobunplease.com/alcohol-on-a-low-carb-keto-diet/
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I love grey goose vodka martinis with blue cheese stuffed olives. I'm not an expert on ketosis, but I can say that alcohol does have sugars and empty calories and from personal experience if you drink too many you feel like crap the next day! and therefore, you don't work out like you could have the next day. So in that respect it does affect my weight loss. Also, when I have a drink, I eat, and often I'm in a restaurant or bar with other people when I'm drinking (I don't drink alone, contrary to popular opinion) which leads to eating foods that I didn't prepare, and since other people are with me eating French fries, or something yummy (read -carb filled) and now with my guard down, "I'll just try ... one...." Someone here will be able to offer a more scientific answer in terms of how it affects your biology. I think I saw an explanation on one of the videos sent around. All that said, I'm going out tonight, I'll have one drink and go home. Life is meant to be enjoyed too..
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    tlmeyn wrote: »
    Does for some, not for others. Alcohol sugars shouldn't affect you, but everyone is different.
    http://nobunplease.com/alcohol-on-a-low-carb-keto-diet/

Thanks for sharing this.
  • pkroyle
    pkroyle Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If I have more than one drink, it does knock me out of ketosis, but I can get back into it quicker than had I cheated with actual food. For example, if I have 2 glasses of wine at night, the next morning my keto stick is negative, but by later that day I'm back to a moderate reading (which is as high as I ever get bc I think I'm adapted).

Personally I love drinking and I love my end of the day glass of wine. I don't find it stops me from losing weight overall. I rarely ever have two or more drinks at one time unless it's a special occassion though. :smile:

Honestly, I probably sound like I have a problem, but I have a drink more nights than not. lol
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    pkroyle wrote: »
    the next morning my keto stick is negative

That doesn't necessarily mean you're out of ketosis.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Liquor won't kick you out of ketosis. I would recommend taking it slow, though. Low carb diets frequently reduce tolerance (you'll get drunk a lot faster) and increase hangovers (worse for the amount of drunk you were).
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Well I swapped out my low carb ice cream bar in exchange for a few vodkas tonight. I'm still within my calorie limits and I always push a lot of water before bed so I don't typically get hangovers. I'm from Wisconsin so I'm pretty experienced in that haha. I don't drink like I used to, but on occasion I do like to unwind with a drink or 2 on a Friday night.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    Liquor won't kick you out of ketosis. I would recommend taking it slow, though. Low carb diets frequently reduce tolerance (you'll get drunk a lot faster) and increase hangovers (worse for the amount of drunk you were).

yes this^

I've never had a worse hangover than recently after drinking vodka soda all night. It hit me harder than I expected, and differently than normal
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

yes this^

I've never had a worse hangover than recently after drinking vodka soda all night. It hit me harder than I expected, and differently than normal

I'm a vodka/soda gal. I have drank twice while doing lchf--both times I woke up in the middle of the night and vomited. Prior to LCHF I could drink all night and get trashed and the next day be hungover--no vomitting. I feel like my body doesn't know how to process alcohol now.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I was so thrilled to see my favorite alcoholic drinks had zero carbs. I found it interesting that alcohol never affected my weight, and I'm guessing that's why you guys don't seem to have the problem either! Try it and see how it is for you. It's all been trial and error with me so far.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I was wanting a drink tonight but I'm too cheap with my carbs to drink my favorite - Irish cream. 5.8 carbs in 1 oz. Ouch! I could have some of Hubby's moonshine but thatll knock me on my butt lol
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I try to match whatever I drink ounce for ounce with extra water. It doesn't stop me from being more tipsy but I hold to the hope it keeps me better prepared to avoid a nasty morning after.
  • Artemis68
    Artemis68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've read (and it may be what's posted in the link) that it won't kick you out of ketosis but your body will burn the alcohol before returning to burn fat. And agree with previous posters, it makes the hangover a bajillion times worse, plus you get munchies while drinking combined with impaired food judgement....but I'm still willing to risk it....and I'm not losing, so there's that.
  • Artemis68
    Artemis68 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I was wanting a drink tonight but I'm too cheap with my carbs to drink my favorite - Irish cream. 5.8 carbs in 1 oz. Ouch! I could have some of Hubby's moonshine but thatll knock me on my butt lol

Ang, I made the most delish low carb Baileys. Just google baileys recipe and sub the sweetened condensed milk for whipping cream and Splenda. It's FABULOUS!!!!
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    @_jayciemarie_ Yep same here but no throwing up. I was a mess for a whole day felt like my head would explode and Motrin didn't even help. My body was so confused by what I did lol
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I over indulged with some alcohol (absolute and diet cranberry). Was the first time I decided to drink since well before beginning this woe. It hit hard! I was spared a hangover, some how. Didn't affect weight loss either.
  • LawMJY
    LawMJY Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    OK, I didn't know about this! Explains why the last two times I went drinking after low carbing I got completely smashed... Still no hangover though, I think I vomited enough to get rid of a lot of the booze. Sorry, TMI!
  • Jbarnes1210
    Jbarnes1210 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I drink grey goes vodka with diet sprite. I add sugar free green apple or watermelon packs sometimes for a little extra flavor. I've stayed in ketosis and lost weight while drinking. I do count the calories of the liquor because in e end calories still count (loosely).
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I've had a completely different experience. I tend to either drink vodka seltzer or tequila or whiskey on the rocks. Maybe its because my mixer of choice is just bubbled water or nothing at all, but as long as I don't over do it, I feel no worse the next day than if I was drinking before LC. @dewsmom78, I'm from Wisconsin too...drinking is just kind of the culture & in our blood, isn't it? :)

Now the hunger thing...that's all too real. Luckily I'm happy to munch on my lower carb snack options even when buzzed and it tends to be pepperoni, cheese, and olives.

I do also find that sometimes i may put on a pound or two tops and have to wait a day or so and its gone again. But that's usually when I've eaten thr snacks along with the drinking...not so much if I just have a couple cocktails.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I've taken to drinking mainly distilled liquors with seltzer or water, and they have no impact on my losses. I found a cucumber vodka (brand name EFFEN - which is too fun "hey you want some effen vodka?) Its great with some muddled mint leaves or basil leaves, mixed with seltzer. very refreshing. we also made our own version of mojitos by adding a little squeeze of key lime and a couple drops of stevia.