June 2015 Challenge ~~ Jun 1st - Jun 7th

Options
cpanus
cpanus Posts: 19,419 Member
Just in Time For Summer: We Don't Know How Many Days...Arm-Sculpting Challenge

Week 1

Getting started: The challenge consists of five basic exercises that help to target all the areas of your arms. Over the course of the challenge, you will increase the number of reps you're doing of each exercise, eventually working up to three sets of 15 reps for each exercise.
Below is an explanation of how to do each of the five exercises, followed by the plan itself.

Choosing the appropriate size weight is key here — you want one that fatigues your muscles by the end of the three sets. If the challenge ever feels too easy, that's your cue to increase the weight of the dumbbells (and if you find you are fatiguing too early, decrease the weight amount). Beginners should start the plan with five-pound weights, and for you more-experienced lifters, make this challenge work for you by grabbing a heavier set.

Bicep Curl

• Start by holding a dumbbell in each hand at the sides of the body.
• Keeping your elbows close to your side, slowly raise the dumbbells to the chest.
• Moving with control, lower back to the starting position.
• This counts as one rep.

Upright Row

• Place a dumbbell in each hand with your palms facing your body, shoulders over the pelvis, and a slight bend in the knees.
• Keeping the dumbbells close to your body, raise them to your shoulders, bending your elbows out to the sides. Slowly lower them to the starting position.

Triceps Kickback

• Holding a dumbbell in each hand, hinge forward from your hips, bending the knees slightly. Bend your elbows behind you.
• Straighten your arms behind you with your palms facing in. Your arms should be parallel to the floor. Squeeze your triceps, and then return to the starting position.

Overhead Shoulder Press

• Hold a dumbbell in each hand just above the shoulders, palms facing in.
• Straighten the arms above you.
• Bend the elbows coming back to the starting position to complete one rep.

Bent-Over Reverse Fly

• Holding a dumbbell in each hand with your closed palms facing out, stand with the knees slightly bent. Keeping your back flat, bend forward at the hip joint.
• Lift both arms to the sides, maintaining a slight bend in the elbows, and squeeze your shoulder blades together. Then, with control, lower the dumbbells back together.
• This completes one rep.

Week 1 of our ??-Week Plan

Choose an appropriate size dumbbell (three to eight pounds) and follow the plan below. Every other day is a rest day to give your muscles a chance to rebuild and become stronger.

Day 1 12 reps of each (3x)
Day 2 Rest
Day 3 12 reps of each (3x)
Day 4 Rest
Day 5 14 reps of each (3x)
Day 6 Rest
Day 7 14 reps of each (3x)

Let us know how you are doing. Have FUN!!!

Chris

Replies

• PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,700 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Ooh, easy-ish week. Dumbbells are easy cuz they are so fun and arms loves them! :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Paula
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,267 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm horrible at posting pictures. I changed my profile picture. That's the dress I wore to dinner on my birthday. I believe you can see the full length shot on my profile page.
  • zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,893 Member
    Options
    I am horrible also Kathy. :( You two look great together. His shirt set off the colour of your dress perfectly! B) I also love the yellow dress. It is a great color that says I am happy! :* Very beautiful, yes, yes, yes. And fashionable. The stone work looked awesome.

Paula you need larger dumbbells! Yes yes yes! ;)

Chris, you make me laugh. I am going to do our old favorite, KCM. It should cover just about all that you posted. Did one tonight. Lots of arm and leg work. :D

Night all,
    Shelley
  • cpanus
    Options
    Walked w/DH and Bean this morning then read all afternoon. I managed 6.91 miles and 15,084 steps today.

I have gym tomorrow morning which should cover everything in our workout and more. Should be interesting. DDD can't make this session, so I'm on my own.

Hope you all have a grand Tuesday!

Chris
  • claram5415
    claram5415 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I am horrible also Kathy. :( You two look great together. His shirt set off the colour of your dress perfectly! B) I also love the yellow dress. It is a great color that says I am happy! :* Very beautiful, yes, yes, yes. And fashionable. The stone work looked awesome.

Paula you need larger dumbbells! Yes yes yes! ;)

Chris, you make me laugh. I am going to do our old favorite, KCM. It should cover just about all that you posted. Did one tonight. Lots of arm and leg work. :D

Night all,
    Shelley

Shelly what is KCM?
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    Kelly Coffey Meyer. She has loads of 30 minute workouts on DVD's. Chris turned me into a fan. Each of her DVD's has several workouts. :)
  • cpanus
    edited June 2015
    Options
    <3<3<3 KCM <3<3<3 Tomorrow...I'm going to do one tomorrow...Slim Sculpting! Kettlebells! yeppy, yep!

<3<3<3 KCM <3<3<3

Chris
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    She has kettlebell ones also? How ever did I miss that? :)

Shelley
  • cpanus
    Options
    I thought I got it on Amazon, but it's not there now. It's on her web site coffeefit.com for $19.95. I think it's one of her latest...the picture on front has her in an orange tank top with a red kettlebell and wearing black gloves...

I haven't played it yet so I can't comment on the workouts, but I like pretty much everything she's done so far.

Chris
  • cpanus
    Options
    Spent 55 minutes w/our trainer and the TRX. Killer workout! Then I walked w/DH and Bean for a long time! Then I read then I shopped...now, I'm done! I managed 7.36 miles and 16,068 steps. It was beautiful here today. The breeze was just right!

Hope you all have a great Tuesday and that your Wednesday is even better!

Chris
  • KAR1959
    Options
    We had an extra long practice this evening - 2 hours...so much fun and our team is showing great improvement. I also completed the challenge x3. Good night ladies.

Kathy
  • zumbaforever
    Options
    Great practice Kathy! And practice does make for better playing. So keep going! :*

Chris I think there was a back one that she did that you did not like. Let me know what you would give it out of ten. Guess you better get doing it. B)

Went to zumba tonight. It was great fun. :)

Shelley
  • PaulaKro
    Options
    Wow, I miss one day and there are 11 postings. Had to peer closely to make sure I wasn't seeing double. So nice to see everyone back here. Kathy, missed you - welcome home! You and your friend are so cute. And the dresses look darling!

I'll have to get out my KCM tapes too, she's my favorite! Clara, do you like workout videos? If you google "Kelly Coffey Meyer Youtube" there are some great ones there for free. Was wondering if I could start bouncing. Will have to ask the PTist Friday.

Yesterday was bleh! Got up at 5am for an INR test. At work, we're getting ready for audit, alarm permit and sewer billings are due real soon, and a lot backed up during my absence. I forgot about PT, was late and really pushed to get everything done. It was really exhausting and turned out my :heart: was in Afib (atrial fibrillation). Came home, fell asleep and that was it for me.

Taking a rest day today.
  • cpanus
    Options
    Paula I hope you are doing alright. None of this Afib stuff, okay???

Shelley there is a preview of KCM's Slim Sculpting on youtube. It's about 2 minutes long. I liked Workout #1. I'm going to do it or Workout #2 on Friday. I'll give #1 a 10! Only had trouble with the foot shuffle exercise...I could not figure out what to do with my feet!!! Honestly, if I'd been watching me, I would have laughed my fanny off! ...wait, I don't have a butt, so I would have laughed really, really hard! I ended up doing the modified version. And one of the last floor exercises I had to modify. But I really liked it...I was "glistening" like a cute little piggy by the middle of the workout...dripping by the end. I am sore from the gym workout yesterday...tomorrow I may not be able to move at all!!

I also walked with DH and Bean this morning. It was beautiful! The wind is up a bit now, but it was only breezy when we were out. Man! I love California! I have 6.59 miles for 14,387 steps, but it is only 3:45 in the afternoon so those could increase by nighty, night time!! We shall see...

I hope your Wednesday was great and your Thursday is wonderful!

Chris

• PaulaKro
    Options
    Unfortunately, the singular outstanding effort I made today was putting two very large cookies in my mouth. Changing the wrong way on the outside.

:cry: Paula

• cpanus
    Options
    Paula...put the large cookies down! Paula? ...not buying the large cookies would work too!! ;)

Walked with DH and Bean this morning. It was pretty fun watching Bean when he spotted a squirrel half-way down the hillside and the squirrel spotted him...squirrel 1...Bean 0. They all chirped at him and told him 'what-for' from the other side of the fence. All the lizards out ran him, too. It was pretty funny!

I have 6.61 miles for 14,433 steps. My calorie count is right on! And my legs are sore from yesterday's workout. I did manage talk myself out of any further exercise.

Have a great Friday everyone!

Chris
  • PaulaKro
    Options
    PT workout tonight. PTist gave permission to start walking next week. Week afterward I can add video workouts. :bigsmile:

Thanks so much Chris. I'm battling two deamons, OneWontHurt and ButYoureTooThin. Both are awful liars. Tonight Distraction took me window shopping before cookie shopping. And tired me out enough to just head home empty-handed.

To we warrior women and winning our battles all, small or large... "CLINK"

• KAR1959
    Options
    Note to self: do not drink a smoothie 3 hours before tennis practice! By the end of practice I was was not feeling too well. Had a pretty bad night and had to call in sick to work today. Just starting to feel better this morning.

The good news...I had a good practice before getting sick. We're playing a make-up match tomorrow. These are the matches from last Sunday.

Great Friday everyone!
    Kathy
  • cpanus
    Options
    Kathy what did you put in your smoothie that hurt you? A while ago I used a new protein powder that made me sicker than a dog for a week or so. I was allergic to it! Glad you are feeling better.

Paula good job, my friend!! "CLINK" ...I'm proud of you! The demons must be silenced! I've started saying OUT LOUD...but, I'm not hungry!...when the OneWontHurt demon sounds off. And when ButYoureTooThin starts whispering in my ear, I just say OUT LOUD...when this stomach quits bouncing during jogging in place, you can come back!!! I am doing pretty good, I must say! I'm a fan of the colored bell peppers sliced up in a baggie in the fridge and our stores carry jicama sticks in 9.5 ounce containers...yumm...and I can eat the whole container for a snack. Don't know if that helps or not.

Going for Bean in a bit then we walk! I'll be back in a while. My legs and fanny are still sore! :#

To we warrior women and winning our battles all, small or large... "CLINK"

<3<3

Chris

• lcarls71
    lcarls71 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Made it through DD graduation with no tears at all. Still more super excited for her than sad. It helped too that there was no sappy music or pics from their childhood, that had me bawling at 6th grade graduation, lol.

Did ABS class Tuesday and have been getting my steps and over each day. Also getting back into my fruit eating habits as the weather starts to warm back up. Looks like everyone is doing well and keeping themselves accountable. Good job ladies.

Lynnette