Exercise: will I ever stop being sore?

Options
Kekineo
Kekineo Posts: 77 Member
i started my journey in January and I was exercising 2-4 days a week using YouTube videos. Then I joined Curves a month ago and I go 5 days a week and do the extra classes 4-5 days. I've pretty much been sore the whole time! I know when you work different muscles it'll make you sore but I got to thinking does it ever go away? I'm not complaining, I know "no pain no gain " but does it go away??? I saw a Fitness Blender butt workout (10 min) and the girl (who's very fit!) was hurtin 8 min into it and she said she'd feel it tomorrow. So is this something I just need to adjust to? Does anyone else have this issue or am I just "doing it wrong"?

Replies

• BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I don't think soreness is going to ever completely go away. Especially if you are varying your type of workouts and exercising different muscles. In time it should lessen to some degree. I also think you can gradually get to the point where you kind of enjoy how it feels.
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'd have to agree that it doesn't totally go away. You shouldn't be overly sore and in a lot of pain, but some soreness is good. Even the further you get into it and more fit, you just keep pushing to do more!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    As long as you push yourself, there will be some soreness. Had a little nsv today. Took a slow walk for about 2-1/2 miles with my staff. Heart rate didn't get above 80 and my body wasn't stressed at all, certainly won't be sore from that. Three years ago, same exercise, I so would have been sore. So, it's all relative. Maybe cut back a little on the extra classes, you may need more rest, should not have any actual pain.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be sore all the time or have soreness after every workout. To me sounds like you have made the classic mistake of too much volume, too quickly and in a calorie deficit when your body is already under stress from the dieting. Do you have rest or recovery days?

It's far better to focus on quality training (with appropriate intensity) rather than go all out with too much volume and too little rest. Do you have easy days, hard days, rest days or is everything at your limit?

Would suggest taking an easy week (doesn't mean being inactive) and letting your body recover. Then build up steadily. Yes some soreness is expected when you do something either new or high intensity but that absolutely shouldn't be every workout otherwise you are indeed "doing it wrong" and won't get full benefit from all your effort. The risk of injury is also there of course.

• barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Are you doing a good warm up and streaching before and after if not those muscles will really be sore. If its just a burning sansation that's good and you will continue to burn calories with that burn. If its like an ache that's not good so give it a break/rest. Any new muscle you work will be sore for a bit but it should go away in a couple days of you give it a rest. Your larger muscles need 48 hours of rest before working them again, smaller muscles can be worked in 24 hours. This gives the muscle time to repair itself You will hear people cut that time down but that's for someone in very good shape that's been weight training for awhile.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Stretching is key. That should help alleviate soreness.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I agree with sijomial.. Definitely try an easier workout & gradually work up to more intense workouts
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    kheinl wrote: »
    I know "no pain no gain "
    I don't like this expression. People get hurt following this mantra.
    Consider "Know your pain" instead. Is it DOMS ? Is it an injury ? It's important to listen to your body and understand the difference. That said, I don't think you're injured. I think you're working out and doing a variety of exercises. As BRaye said, varying your workouts will can cause soreness. You're working different muscles with each routine.

You don't mention rest days in your post. Do you have any rest days scheduled?
    I alternate my routine to allow for recovery.
    Mon - Intense work out (strength)
    Tues - Light work out (cardio)
    Weds - Intense work out (strength)
    Thurs - Light work out (cardio)
    Fri - Intense work out (strength)
    Sat - Light work out (cardio)
    Sun - Full rest day

Perhaps consider adding in a rest day for recovery.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    kheinl wrote: »
    i started my journey in January and I was exercising 2-4 days a week using YouTube videos. Then I joined Curves a month ago and I go 5 days a week and do the extra classes 4-5 days. I've pretty much been sore the whole time! I know when you work different muscles it'll make you sore but I got to thinking does it ever go away? I'm not complaining, I know "no pain no gain " but does it go away??? I saw a Fitness Blender butt workout (10 min) and the girl (who's very fit!) was hurtin 8 min into it and she said she'd feel it tomorrow. So is this something I just need to adjust to? Does anyone else have this issue or am I just "doing it wrong"?

Soreness comes with progress. That said it sounds like your schedule might be a little extreme and need more rest days.
  • Brinasacat
    Brinasacat Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    First day back to jazzercise yesterday after a 2 week vacation and my butt is sore today!
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    In my opinion you should not experience pain ( you didn't mention pain - I am adding that statement) and soreness should go away if you are performing the "same" routine at the "same" intensity. I base this on my personal experience where I developed into my routine and the exercise became enjoyable and easier to complete. When I added more distance to my running I became more fatigued but not sore. When I added more "speed" to my run I did experience some soreness so I backed off and slowly worked it back in. I think you have to find your pace at whatever you do and as others say build into it slowly. Some folks easily get discouraged and quit because of soreness or pain so its best to make some adjustments to find what allows you to exercise and not feel pain or soreness.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I experience normal full feeling sore muscles normally. Not pain. A good pumped sort of feeling. Like when you squeeze a piece of steak when you massage a sore thigh or pectoral muscle.

It is a good feeling now. Not feeling pain or hurt sore at all. I did feel a bit ran over when I started lifting but got into better condition and that went away.

I do find that drinking enough water and getting enough sleep helps. Muscle building is invigorating. If it feels exhausting and painful, something is amiss.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,564 Member
    Options
    For me, after I get past initial soreness with some new kind of workout routine, and get it to the right kind of progressive intensity, there's a pleasant kind of taut, worked out feeling that's not quite sore, that's more or less permanent. Aggressive progression, or going back to it after a vacation, will make me a bit sore again.

Things that help soreness for me: A snack with a little protein & natural sugars very soon after the workout; drinking plenty of water during and after; ice soon after the workout if the soreness is significant; hot bath, steam bath, sauna, jacuzzi or even heating pad later; foam roller after workout; stretching regularly; some kind of exercise that gently gets the blood moving (especially the next day) such as steady-state bike ride; good sleep.

Throughout, I'm distinguishing muscle soreness (which is kind of general feeling in a muscle or group) from actual localized pain that might suggest an injury instead.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I'm working out hard for 12 years now and take classes, so I'm not in charge of the moves we do. I know my chest is weak but took 10 lbs weights 2 days ago anyway.

I'm in the gym 6 days a week anyway. I'm not usually sore.

But today, is Day Two of My Chest is Killing Me.

So - long story short, the answer is ..... Maybe. Or Sometimes. It really depends on what you do!
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Well, when I use to my my yard (push mower) when I was 95 pounds heavier I could hardly walk the next day. Now when I mow my yard AND my neighbor's yard, I'm just a little sore the next day. Maybe the lighter you get the less you'll hurt?
  • DaveThomas1901
    DaveThomas1901 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Definitely for me to the soreness goes as your body gets stronger and gets used to it. Unfortunately lately I do seem to creak a bit. People saying that I'm no spring chicken anymore doesn't help :D
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I've been working out pretty hard for the last two years. The first 3 or 4 months I was sore all the time, so many muscles getting used that I wasn't accustomed to. I went from workout to workout being sore...........pretty much all the time.

Now...............I still get sore occasionally. This week my trainer killed my biceps and they hurt for 3 days....LOL

Generally though I feel a bit of soreness or tightness the night or day after a tough workout but it goes away quickly. Stretching and swimming help me stay limber which makes a difference.

I kind of like the feeling because it lets me know that I've been using those muscles.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    If you never push, you will never get sore. That said, being sore is sometimes a good thing. Being in real pain is not usually a good thing. If I push real hard on my bike, I have times when my quads are on fire for a while. But it goes away fairly quickly.

I personally thing to an extent people at our age can push too hard, as it's probably much harder to recover from the things we did when we were younger. But if your mind is in the game, it's still something we can do.

Pain is weakness leaving the body.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Again, Robertw486, love your "mindset!"
  • KerryITD
    KerryITD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If I stretch well, I don't get sore unless I overworked to the point my muscles were on fire or rubbery feeling during the workout. If I pushed that hard, no amount of stretching helps, lol. But if I don't stretch at all (or don't drink enough water), I'll be sore often.