If every day were like today...

Options
Stayhuman853
Stayhuman853 Posts: 13 Member
I just started using MFP about 2 weeks ago and I have lost 5 lbs and have about 9 more to go. I have been filling out my caloric intake and exercise obsessively and I look forward to the end of the day when I hit "complete entry" and it tells me what I would weigh in 5 weeks if I keep it up.

I am wondering from veteran users: how accurate is this reading, in your experience? I want to know how much I can look forward to reaching this new number, or if the prediction is very generous.

// More info about me: 24-y-o female, HW 139, CW 131, GW 122. Eating 1000-1200 cal per day and working out for at least 30 min daily (training for a 5k).

MFP consistently says that in 5 weeks I will weigh 122-123 lbs. How much faith should I put into this?

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I find it to be completely useless. For one thing, it's based on only one day. It says "if every day were like today" but every day is not like today for me. Every day is completely different.

When I was losing 100 pounds, my days were more like each other and it was still pretty useless.
  • samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    I find it useless and inaccurate too. Weight loss is not linear and this predictor has not worked for me. In fact, I read a post in the forums page where a person 'tested' this theory by eating the same thing for 5 weeks. They were not impressed ;) What I have found useful is looking at my calories average on the nutrition page. Its obvious i know, but in the weeks that it has been closer to my goal, I have lost 1 lb. I check this figure midweek and tweak my diet to ensure I keep losing.
  • gypsyish
    gypsyish Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I like this calculator. Obviously there will be some variation. I'm currently testing its accuracy for what it thinks I will weigh in July (my bday) based on the sedentary setting.
  • starfish235
    starfish235 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It depends on how close you count your calories as well. It depends if you grab things while just saying it is little taste of something off your kids plate.
  • mccanns725
    mccanns725 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I only use it as a goose for my motivation. If every day were like today as in keep it up! I was planning on losing a pound a week but strength training meant I plateaued for a month before it started back down again. Shrug.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I don't pay much attention to it. It's fun to see the prediction, but it doesn't take into account things that might affect the scale reading from day-to-day or any plateaus.

So, if you track that number for motivation or whatever, that's fine-- but don't let it make or break your drive if the number doesn't match. :)
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I take no notice unless I overeat, then its like, yikes I dont want to put on that much weight, better be good tomorrow :-)
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Sadly I don't find it very accurate. Especially as I approach my goal weight. I am 134 pounds . GW is 127.
  • Stayhuman853
    Stayhuman853 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    gypsyish wrote: »
    I like this calculator. Obviously there will be some variation. I'm currently testing its accuracy for what it thinks I will weigh in July (my bday) based on the sedentary setting.

Thanks! I like this calendar too! Let us know how it does by your Bday!

Thank you to everyone who responded!
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I like it when I exercise a lot and don't eat all my exercise calories back and it tells me that I would be "93lbs" in 5 weeks! LOL! Yeah, right! I don't believe that for a second...but it makes me chuckle!
  • workouttimehettie
    workouttimehettie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I find it more of a "stay motivated" type tool. If you see a milestone weight pop up on it then it encourages you to keep up the effort that you had put in on that day. :)
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I don't put much stock in it but I agree with workouttimehettie....it makes me feel good and want to keep going. :)