Negative Calorie Adjustments

Options
StacyMMo
StacyMMo Posts: 17 Member
Do any of you have your MFP set to show Negative Calorie Adjustments from your Jawbone UP? For example, if your jawbone estimated you will burn 1200 calories and it looks like you are only going to burn 1100, it will remove 100 calories from your MFP diary food allotment? I just turned it on and noticed that even though I did a 288 calorie burn on MFP, it removed 60 calories from my allotment for my Jawbone UP Negative Calorie Adjustment. Maybe this is why my weight loss is slower because I am not burning what is estimated that I should normally burn? I really have no idea and just wanted to get everyone else's thoughts.

Replies

• altogirl2
    altogirl2 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new here to MFP so I decided to NOT enable negative calorie adjustment. Calculating my TDEE just seemed like a lot of work but as I get nearer my goal weight I might rethink it. I'd like to hear from someone who has it enabled also.
  • ksewfun
    ksewfun Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was reading StacyMMo Understanding Of The Negative Calories And I enabled mine, it actually kinda not helpful and depressing; I can't satisfy what is needed even with exercise. I may turn my off and see how I can still work my jawbone and this app. My fitness will say eat 1500 calories then I do like 8000 steps and once re-calculated it say eat 1200 calories, and each turn in I'm never under any more even with exercise, not cool and confused.
  • altogirl2
    altogirl2 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've been losing weight successfully without enabling the negative calories so I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing, LOL!
  • ksewfun
    ksewfun Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree, usually anything that starts with negative is not good, haha :smile:
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Your default MFP calorie goal is your activity level minus your deficit. Your UP adjustment is the difference between your UP burn (which is TDEE, aka your maintenance calories) and your MFP calorie level.

If you disable negative calorie adjustments, then you won't eat at a true deficit on days you burn fewer calories than your MFP activity level. Enable them: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Click on any UP adjustment to see the math MFP used to calculate it.
  • rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I turned my negative off because I had the same issue with it not being reliable between the two. I mainly use my UP for reminders and as activity tracker (surprise!) and log MFP completely separate. I'm more concerned with calories so I want to make sure there's not confusion between the two programs
  • mtczajka
    mtczajka Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm still confused. I am trying to eat around 1500 calories per day. I track it with MFP. If I walk 0 steps, I am "allowed" 1500 calories. But today, I wore my Jawbone Up and walked 671 steps. So now I am only "allowed" 1250 calories. I don't understand how adding exercise reduces my allowable calories intake. It seems like exercise would allow you more calories, not fewer.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    mtczajka wrote: »
    I'm still confused. I am trying to eat around 1500 calories per day. I track it with MFP. If I walk 0 steps, I am "allowed" 1500 calories. But today, I wore my Jawbone Up and walked 671 steps. So now I am only "allowed" 1250 calories.

Your MFP calorie goal (1,500) is activity level minus deficit. Adjustments are the difference between your UP total burn (which is TDEE) and your MFP activity level.

You got a -250 calorie adjustment because you've burned 250 calories less than your activity level. I'm set to sedentary, and I usually have to walk several thousand steps before my adjustments turn positive.

You can click on the adjustment to see the math MFP used to calculate it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I had my activity level set to lightly active (per my pre exercise steps) and turned off negative adjustments.

Now that I have enabled them and set it to sedentary I am loving it...makes me more active even with just non exercise...

When I had them disabled I had to walk 10k steps before I got any adjustments...I like it better this way...NEAT.
  • Angiefit4life
    Angiefit4life Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I had my activity level set to lightly active (per my pre exercise steps) and turned off negative adjustments.

Now that I have enabled them and set it to sedentary I am loving it...makes me more active even with just non exercise...

When I had them disabled I had to walk 10k steps before I got any adjustments...I like it better this way...NEAT.

This is what I do! Also in the morning I see the negative 7 or so, and it gets me off my butt!
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I agree as well... I also try to pre-log my dinner meal when possible so that I know how many calories I need to burn for my walk at lunch... that way I'm not "in the red" for my calories after dinner with limited time to walk/exercise.
  • Jaggers818
    Jaggers818 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone- this is really helpful!