Fasting fail

Options
Maquillage_
Maquillage_ Posts: 194 Member
Yesterday was my fasting day and it wasn't as easy as the first! Breakfast was fine but everyone in work got pizza and I couldnt resist, then it just continued into evening binging. Very disappointed in myself, I was hoping that it would have been as easy as the first fast day!

Any tips on resisting temptation on fast days? I'd brought in a salad for lunch but still couldn't not eat the pizza!

Replies

• angela233Z
    angela233Z Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    You have lost an amazing amount of weight! I am impressed. Obviously you know that 1 day does not make or break your results.

Here is what helps me
    I fast on days I work from home. I have more control over my environment and not tempted by others, but busy because i have a lot of work to do.
    For me, the first taste is the kiss of death. If I don't have the first bite of pizza, I am ok, but once I have a bite and realize how delicious it is.. I can't stop.

biggest advice - just keep going, do your 2 fasts this week and at the end of the year, the one missed fast wont matter.
  • kcd1961
    kcd1961 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I agree with @angela233Z - schedule fast days for the easiest environment. What is easiest will vary from person to person, but you will know. Whatever the case, it is handy to have some "go to" positive actions you can do INSTEAD OF eating the tempting food. This can be "food" or drink - such as diet drink, water, tea, coffee, chewing gum, a mint etc. It can be a physical activity such as go for a walk, run, boxing etc. Or it can be a mental coping thing like relaxation, yoga, mindfulness, writing a journal, doing a cognitive behavioural diary worksheet. But most of all you need to be willing to have thoughts of food an "it's not fair" buzzing around your head, without engaging with them.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Agree. Some need a tide-me over 100 kcal bite around lunch. I must wait to eat until having 1 decent meal later in the evening. Or I don't feel full enough or harder to sleep. If I start to eat sooner the perceived «hunger» is often too overwhelming in order to stop.

Many also find that starches like bread, cereal early in day takes a big chunk of the 500 calorie budget. It's easier to stay within your target limit when doing proteins, vegs and good fats on FD. But it's entirely up to you how you wanna spend your calories!

Also try schedule your FD. If my regimen is too flexible, it's very easy to keep reschedule it. I need to tell myself «I'm going to do it». Make it a priority in your mind to finish. Your body and longtime health is important to you, no ? This is not just about shedding some weight, but also to respect your body and treating yourself in a manner that you want more than some pizza in the long run. It's ok to slip-up, though. But keep eye on your prize.

Find a system that works for YOU, so experiment :)
  • Maquillage_
    Maquillage_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the advice! It's really helped in planning my fast days this week. I've set them to Tuesday and Thursday. I'll never try fast again on a Saturday I work, there's always some sort of treats floating around! During the week there aren't really any treats in work so it will be easier then. And it's before pay day so I won't spend money on food, so I'll just eat what I bring. Thanks again, you're all such a huge help!
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Remember that fast days are also very flexible. If you can't resist, eat in moderation (yeah, I know - easier said than done) and fast another day. You haven't failed - one day does not a failure make
  • mariannehgv
    mariannehgv Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The BBC documentary "what is the right diet for you" has a nice illustration of this effect: some test subjects who are losing weight have to eat some cake, but half of them is told that the cake only has 200kcal, and the other half is told the truth, that it has 700kcal per slice. After that, their behaviour is compared. The people who think they haven't fallen off the wagon too much manage to continue with their diet, whilst the group that know how much they've had completely give up.

Point is: even if you've been naughty, don't blame yourself. Apparently you needed that; you can't be good all the time. Immediately afterwards, resume your plan. It'll not be a perfect fast day, but if your goal is losing weight, it can still be a good day.

Another tip: if your environment is a difficult one to fast in and you cannot find a better day to plan your fast days, just force down a lot of water and bulky vegetables so that you have an almost uncomfortably full belly. Hard work, but it might work well.
  • rjsimpson2002
    rjsimpson2002 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 5:2 for a few weeks now and this week just went wrong - both my faat day attempts ended up being over (800 & 900) so I had started to mentally beat myself up about it. So glad I read this today - now I can just try again tomorrow.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    The BBC documentary "what is the right diet for you" has a nice illustration of this effect: some test subjects who are losing weight have to eat some cake, but half of them is told that the cake only has 200kcal, and the other half is told the truth, that it has 700kcal per slice. After that, their behaviour is compared. The people who think they haven't fallen off the wagon too much manage to continue with their diet, whilst the group that know how much they've had completely give up.

Point is: even if you've been naughty, don't blame yourself. Apparently you needed that; you can't be good all the time. Immediately afterwards, resume your plan. It'll not be a perfect fast day, but if your goal is losing weight, it can still be a good day.

Another tip: if your environment is a difficult one to fast in and you cannot find a better day to plan your fast days, just force down a lot of water and bulky vegetables so that you have an almost uncomfortably full belly. Hard work, but it might work well.

Good input! IMO, at least over half the battle is the mental game and repairing relationship with food. Get the resolve on and the rest is just implementing according to a rough plan/strategy.
  • clairejeynes84
    clairejeynes84 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have an "I'll eat that tomorrow attitude!" So if there's treats at work, I will take one and store it until I can eat it the next non-fasting day! Works well for me! Plus it helps that there's a few other at work who do the 5:2 so support at work isn't lacking and everyone is so encouraging for me to continue the diet because the results are showing!
    Good luck :)