Injured, frustrated & desperate to stay on track - Suggestions PLEASE!

Options
mae918
mae918 Posts: 742 Member
edited June 2015 in Social Groups
Background story:
I have had so many ankle injuries in my life that I could not count how many. I'd twist an ankle on the softball field & get right back to ballet class without allowing for the time to heal. I was so stubborn; No one really knew I was walking, playing ball, and dancing through the pain. For the first time in my life, I am trying not to be stubborn - when I injured my elbow in early February and couldn't lift a glass from the cupboard, I only went back to kickboxing for another 5 or 6 weeks (lol..yikes...sounds worse when I write that...) and I have been nursing that elbow injury since then.

What happened 2 days ago:
I finally trusted my body to get back to kickboxing last week (yay!). First day back - I twisted my ankle and fell straight to the floor. I hurt my ankles fairly often, but this is the most damage I've done in a LONG time.

My fear:
I binge for comfort when I am frustrated or feel defeated. That actually makes me tear up to admit that because I have been really happy with my progress after a horrible few weeks in April & early May. I hide the junk I eat and then it turns into binging. Even when I'm doing well maintaining healthy eating, I still have to talk myself away from my trigger foods EVERY time I step into a grocery store. All signs point to binging soon and I can't have one bad day because that will easily turn into several before I get a grip..

Here are my questions -

1) What on earth can I do for cardio (when I don't have the use of my left ankle and I still have to go easy on my left elbow)? I honestly can't think of ANYTHING and I'm panicking...ugh..

2) If cardio is totally out of the question, what other exercises can I try to focus on? - I can do light weights with upper body right now and focus on my core.. suggestions??

I need to keep going somehow...I don't know how I pushed through 2 days without losing it, but I am managing to stay on track so far; having this group and tracking everything on mfp has been helping a ton..

Replies

• stepawayfromthebiscuits
    Options
    I know that fear of it creeping up on you. Stay strong, if you can. Can you swim? That won't cause unnecessary impact on your ankle and although isn't as hardcore as a run or something, it's still exercise - will help you build your core too. Only if you can though, you mustn't push it too far, you don't want to hurt yourself further. You've managed 2 days of struggling through, that's brilliant in itself. Give yourself some credit for that :smile: . Wishing you all the best.
  • JonathanP1962
    JonathanP1962 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hi Mae - I havnt posted it here but 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with a lower back prolapse which is causing me sciatica pain. I had nearly completed the couch to 5k jogging program and was REALLY frustrated, I guess your ankle and my sciatica are close to same disability but I at least I can still walk (no running (pain) and no cycling says my therapist). I was missing the high pulse range work outs and asked "what can I do?" The answer - swimming (dont know if your ankle stops that), and the revelation - rowing machine - never used one until 2 weeks ago. That gets my cardio exercise and then leads into an upper body work out at the gym. I am also doing a challenge in another group on no of pull ups and timing on planking we can do - which although not a cardio challenge are good exercises.
    Good luck on finding a work out you can do. Focus on finding that rather than wallowing as I did about what you cant do.
  • mae918
    mae918 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Thank you both! Swimming is a great idea. My friend has a pool at her apartment building. We walk every Tuesday--maybe we can switch to swimming for a while. I will ask :) I walked a little today and even that was too much. I think I am going to focus on my core and arms while I heal up. Thank you for the support!! It is soooo good for me to have this group and I really appreciate the feedback from both of you.

Jonathan--I hate running, but I had just started the couch to 5k. I was 12 days into it.. I LOVE rowing, but I don't have access to a machine right now (or a boat) and that would actually hurt my ankle quite a bit...I remember that from previous experience.

Today was another success with eating healthy. I also distracted myself with bathing suit shopping.. HAHA fun...

And, again-- Thank you thank you thank you for showing support. It is much appreciated!!!