Sugar Alcohols

Options
auntstephie321
auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
I just bought some sugar free russel stovers candies that are sweetened with splenda. It shows 26g of carbs for 23g are sugar alcohols, should I log it minus the sugar alcohols or do most of you still count those as carbs?

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I don't generally consume noncaloric sweeteners, but when I do, I just count the full amount of carbs. There's evidence that some people react to them the same way they do to sugar. Plus, it makes it easier to keep track of.

I know some people exclude them, though, so it just depends on what works for you.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    do you think they will knock me out of my attempt to get back into keto? I have no clue how they will affect me personally
  • samko1976
    samko1976 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I agree with @Dragonwolf. Depends on what works for you.
    I also keep the number of treats down but I'm one of these people that subtracts the sugar alcohols. I would feel like I would be punishing myself too much for having the occasional treat.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I know that sugar alcohols give me gastro distress. I would not do those at all again ever....personal choice. Try googling "Sugar Free Gummy Bears Amazon Reviews" for more info on why to limit them.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Thanks I know about the possible gi problems for some with sugar alcohols
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting out on Keto right now, I would count ALL carbs. I still count all carbs except from veggies. Also, if you're just starting, try 2 weeks without the processed fake sugars to help your body adjust.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    it's been about 5 weeks now, I thought I bumped myself out last week but I'm kinda thinking I didn't since I didn't go about 40g net at all and I'm not feeling any ill affects from lowering below 20 this week
  • MelodySmith511
    MelodySmith511 Posts: 25 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have a real sweet tooth & each time I do low carb, I eat lots of packaged sugar free foods/treats/drinks & have a hard time losing weight. This time I'm determined to focus on real food & see if I can lose some serious weight
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Once you make it pass the cravings by eliminating all sweets you truly don't miss them. I cut two birthday cakes during May and never even wanted to lick my fingers. This is a control I've never known before! :-)
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    They are everywhere though. Sorbitol in my toothpaste, in my mouthwash....amazing. :neutral:
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    I avoid them wherever possible. I use a toothpaste made with xylitol, and that is the only sweet tasting item I use right now.
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Fat4Fuel2 wrote: »
    If you are just starting out on Keto right now, I would count ALL carbs. I still count all carbs except from veggies. Also, if you're just starting, try 2 weeks without the processed fake sugars to help your body adjust.
    I find more carbs in my veggies than anywhere. ...how do get by not counting the carbs in veggies at all????
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    So far I have been counting all carbs just to be on the safe side because this is the first time I'm counting carbs. I heard about subtracting fiber, but you can do it from sugar and veggies as well?
  • SlimBride2Be
    SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat anything with sugar alcohols in. There are delicious natural alternatives like dates and high cocoa chocolate that don't have that rubbish in.
  • totaloblivia
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    I avoid them wherever possible. I use a toothpaste made with xylitol, and that is the only sweet tasting item I use right now.
    I live in the UK so might not be able to find it, but what brand do you use that has xylitol in it please?
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I subtract them from candy. I eat a few different kinds from winco right now. If they're in something like a quest bar they get counted. I subtract them from candy because I can't see never having candy again, and dark chocolate gives me migraine headaches. I also have no ill effects from them, and they don't give me blood sugar spikes.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    I live in the UK so might not be able to find it, but what brand do you use that has xylitol in it please?

I live in Canada and use Green Beaver toothpaste.

http://greenbeaver.com/product/frosty-mint-toothpaste/

When I searched for it, it looks like they ship to the UK, since googling the name of the company yielded an option for "Green Beaver toothpaste UK" that autopopulated my search.

I love it not only for the lack of weird sugars but for the lack of sodium laureth sulphate too. ( the stuff that foams in your mouth, makes me gag) This toothpaste is the freshest one I have ever used and is not too sweet, makes my mouth feel fresh.
  • winninglosing43
    winninglosing43 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I used to subtract them when I did atkins, the sme way I subtracted fiber for 'net carbs'. Now that I'm doing keto I count all actual carbs and i find that i eat SO MUCH LESS processed junk food. When I have a chocolate craving, I have a bag of blue diamond chocolate dusted almonds and a bag of extra dark 70% chocolate chips. I will take four or five chips of chocolate and a handful of almonds and put them in a bowl... then very slowly and mindfully, eat them... usually always with bulletproof coffee. I also will take grass fed butter and in my blinder mix an atkins chocolate shake, very cold or even frozen. The texture is aquired but I quite enjoy it now. If you get enough fat in, it takes very little 'sweet' to satisfy.
  • totaloblivia
    Options

I live in Canada and use Green Beaver toothpaste.

http://greenbeaver.com/product/frosty-mint-toothpaste/

When I searched for it, it looks like they ship to the UK, since googling the name of the company yielded an option for "Green Beaver toothpaste UK" that autopopulated my search.

I love it not only for the lack of weird sugars but for the lack of sodium laureth sulphate too. ( the stuff that foams in your mouth, makes me gag) This toothpaste is the freshest one I have ever used and is not too sweet, makes my mouth feel fresh.
    Thanks, I'll look out for it of something similar!