6/7/15, happy sunday

Options
KarenZen
KarenZen Posts: 1,430 Member
Finally moving around today! Just went out for a late breakfast where Jim actually turned down pancakes for the first time ever! On the way home, he says, "I didn't realize it would be so hard to make these choices!" and it occurred to me that while I've been dieting for most of my life, he is now doing it for the first time ever at age 50. Wow.

In an act of desperation today, I just took a huge dose of prednisone to see if I can get this sciatica under control, so today will be my day of being hungry and bitchy! I'll try not to post during the worst of it, lol.

So what are you all up to today?
K.

Replies

• KarenZen
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I guess I'm talking to myself again, lol. No biggie. I find myself pretty amusing.

Today was a big bust for exercise or getting anything done. Sciatic nerve pain was bad--but I finally picked up a new bottle of prednisone and took 80 mgs. And two vicodin later, I was able to do the stairs again and may even brave the shower now. I said to Jim, "I think I might not be able to do my swim qualifier on Tuesday," and he said, "You THINK? You THINK??? Is there really even a question?" and I said, "Well my plan was to just take a lot of prednisone and vicodin so I wouldn't feel the pain." As that came out of my mouth, I kind of realized how ridiculous it is. But... I have a deep tissue massage tomorrow morning and another chiropractor appointment, so I am praying for a miracle recovery. Please keep me in your prayers, gang. I would really, really like to do the Peaks to Portland, and if I don't qualify on Tuesday, I'm out until next year.

Jim just made a special run to the grocery store to pick up sugar free fudgesicles and almonds. If you mash up the fudgesicle in a cup and add some chopped almonds, it tastes a lot like a chocolate almond ice cream but without the calories. There... That's my recipe for the day.

My three best moments today were giving Skippy McGrape his late birthday present of a package of instant water balloons (very cool invention), listening to the neighbor kids shrieking as they played in the lake and had a water balloon war with Jim, and playing with Shasta, our kitty, and laughing as she pounced so hard, she rolled off the bed! As much as I enjoyed traveling and as much as I loved being with my sister, despite her lack of internet, I am happy to be HOME.

I'm optimistically assuming that everyone will check in tomorrow, so please do take a minute to say hello and to say what you need for motivation and support.

I'd like to do a ten day challenge. Something basic on food, I think. We can each design our own challenge and incentive. I was thinking my incentive would be $25 to spend as frivilously as I please! If I fail, I give the $25 to Jim for him to spend frivilously. My challenge will be to drink 80 ounces of water each day and eat NOTHING that comes out of a drive-through window (my nemesis... especially scones and croissants from my favorite coffee drive-through). Anyone else want to join? I'm going to start tomorrow but can add a day or two to mine if you get a later start.

K.
  • ronercat
    ronercat Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I would be in for a quick 10 day challenge that is food related. that usually seems to be one of my bigger hang ups anyways haha.

Karen, if you manage the swim that is great, but if you don't it is still amazing how close you got.
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Count me in for the challenge. Let me think what I should do for this.....Perhaps not to eat after 6:30 pm...but that will be a tough one! And to walk on my treadmill everyday for 10 days (while watching Season 3 of GRIMM on my dvd player!! ).

An you can chat as much as you want to Karen I enjoy your chats/discussions/ messages/ words of wisdom, thoughts etc!!
  • KarenZen
    Options
    Thanks, Zac and Nancy for chiming in! I started my ten day challenge today, and it really helped. I totally wanted to stop for a coffee and croissant after my chiro appt (so painful I balled my eyes out in the parking lot). This would have been emotional/comfort eating at its finest! But I didn't want to blow my challenge, so I'm home with a lean cuisine (yummy fish!) And my first 30 ounces of water.

After this morning's extreme pain fest, I've decided there is no way I can do a qualifying swim tomorrow. So disappointing!!!
    My friend Liz, who was going to be one of my kayak spotters (Jim was the other), suggested that I create my own personal swim race on the lake later this summer--to swim from our north point to the south end and back, which would actually be slightly longer than the Peaks to Portland. She said she will kayak spot me and thinks I should order a trophy and race t-shirt for myself, hahaha! I'm so grateful to her for her optimistic suggestion and will definitely do this! And keep training for next year's Peaks to Portland.

Well gang, time for more ice packs and doctor phone calls. I think it's MRI time here! Zac, take this is a lesson--lose your weight NOW, while you're young and your body is resilient! Don't wait until you're 50 and your spine is all f'd up!!!
    K.
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Yeah...and take it from me, at 62 years of age.....DO not yo-yo diet through life and KEEP the bloody weight off coz it plays havoc on your knees and lower back too!!! And keep moving......nothing fancy, but just keep moving!!

Karen, I think it is a great idea to do you own swimming race!! I will be on the sideline cheering you on!! I may have to get some purple pompom's for this event!!!!