Totally new to this big change to my diet!

Options
kellyb1285
kellyb1285 Posts: 17 Member
so I'm new to this diet... Still trying to learn the basic ropes to ensure I remain healthy.

I have 50lbs to lose to get down to my ideal weight ... Then A bit more lbs to lose to get to the recommended weight for me.

I suppose any help or useful tips would be amazing! This is a complete shift in diet as my diet is very very very heavy on grains and carbs in general but it's clearly not working for my body.

One biggest concern I have is the initial fatigue and the limited diet especially breakfast as I can't eat eggs due to intolerance

Massive thanks for taking the time!!
Kelly, in Scotland, UK

Replies

• jrosto
    jrosto Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi Kelly, welcome to your healthier lifestyle :)

The first few days can be tough as your body breaks it addiction to carbs. Just know that you will come out on the other side feeling pretty darn good with plenty of energy. Also remember that feeding your carb cravings during this time will only prolong your discomfort.

For me, journaling my experience and sharing it with others really helped. I have developed a couple really close friends via my public journal that help keep me accountable and on track.

Being ready and preparing snacks in advance will help satisfy cravings. An ounce of macadamia nuts ( 1/4 cup ) and 1 1/2 Tablespoon of pumpkin seeds makes for a very satisfying snack. A small piece of beef jerky is also good. Just watch the sugar content of commercial jerky.

As for breakfast, leftovers from your evening meal can make a nice hash or stir fry in a healthy oil.

The basics are pretty basic, and success feels pretty wonderful. You are going to do great :)
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    https://pinterest.com/cindytw963/
    This is my Pinterest page, with tons of ideas! For breakfast I do usually eat eggs but also sausage and sweet potato or buternut squash hash, or what about breakfast sausage with just a lettuce wrap and some other veggies and fruits you like?
  • lindzreno
    lindzreno Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also have 50 lbs to lose and an egg allergy! You might want to check out this list of egg-free breakfast recipes from Coconuts and Kettlebells: http://coconutsandkettlebells.com/egg-free-breakfast-recipes/ I've only been doing this for about a month, but lately I've been having smoothies for breakfast during the week, and some type of breakfast meat with avocado on the weekends (on Sunday we made sweet potato hash browns, yum!).
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Welcome Kelly!
  • kellyb1285
    kellyb1285 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!!! Thanks so much for the help and support! It's great advise
  • blwasson73
    blwasson73 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Welcome Kelly! The first couple weeks of Paleo eating can be tough as your body adjusts, but you will reach a point when you feel yourself come out of it and it's so worth it! Think outside the box for breakfast - salmon and berries, sweet potato hash with bacon and veggies, homemade breakfast sausage and some greens... Tons of great ideas online too. I really like The cookbook Make it Paleo which became my bible when I changed my eating habits. Good luck!
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    blamundson wrote: »
    Welcome Kelly! The first couple weeks of Paleo eating can be tough as your body adjusts, but you will reach a point when you feel yourself come out of it and it's so worth it! Think outside the box for breakfast - salmon and berries, sweet potato hash with bacon and veggies, homemade breakfast sausage and some greens... Tons of great ideas online too. I really like The cookbook Make it Paleo which became my bible when I changed my eating habits. Good luck!

Excellent suggestions, I'm going to use the salmon and berries for breakfast idea! Thanks. And welcome Kelly!
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    blamundson wrote: »

Excellent suggestions, I'm going to use the salmon and berries for breakfast idea! Thanks. And welcome Kelly!