Mosquitoes

Options
wabmester
wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
I think it was @glossybubbles or @octobones who first mentioned this, but now that summer is here, how are your mosquito bites?

I have to go to an outdoor party that we all dread due to the mosquitoes. I've already had a couple bites, but my ketone levels are lower than many of you.

So, is ketosis keeping the mosquitoes away from you? Is the acetone secreted from your skin an effective repellent?

Replies

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I've never put the two together. Could just be fluke, but we have bad mosquitos here and the past month (been keto a month), my mosquito bites swell and are super puffy. Hmmm
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I notice fewer (or NO) bug bites when I am off sugar. Not sure if it is ketones or if my blood is less tasty, LOL!

**BTW, I posted an anecdotal statement about this very topic to a MFP blog on the benefits of cutting sugar. I distinctly qualified my statement as non-scientific, just a personal observation, and some yahoo "Guest" snarked that it wasn't true for her and I shouldn't post stuff that isn't scientific! I was going to respond to this asking where it stated I cannot post personal opinion in comments when I discovered MY comment (as well as her response) were gone! I don't know why this bugs me so much, it isn't important in the grand scheme of things, but I am steamed about it!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've never really had much of an issue with mosquitoes, and I'm not out enough during the times that they're most active anymore to fully test it, so I can't help on that front.

But, there are a number of essential oils that are effective at repelling them, if you need it. Lavender is a popular and easily attainable one. Lemongrass also works well and on the same stuff as lavender. Cedar, citronella (duh), and oregano essential oils are also effect bug repellents. For any of them, mix a few drops in water, coconut oil, or other carrier and rub or spray on. :)
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I've never put the two together. Could just be fluke, but we have bad mosquitos here and the past month (been keto a month), my mosquito bites swell and are super puffy. Hmmm

I wonder if keto increase the immune response so that's why they are so puffy?
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Now that you mention it I haven't had nearly as many bites, maybe one or two. I'm out plenty during their active times but haven't had an issue yet. I could get used to that.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Lactic acid, carbon dioxide, and estrogen. Those are what attract them. Also, dark colors. It wouldn't be the ketones, but it is possible that someone active and keto would produce less lactate than they did before keto, so notice a drop in bites.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Wait, low carb may lead to fewer mosquito bites? I may convert!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

FWIW, it hasn't done a damn thing for me :P I blame the estrogen, though, since my aldactone increases it.
  • cottagegirl71
    cottagegirl71 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    been in ketosis for 2 weeks solid now and they still love me (and I live in super-buggy cottage country!)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

FWIW, it hasn't done a damn thing for me :P I blame the estrogen, though, since my aldactone increases it.

Low carb and menopause will make me less tasty! :smile:
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I feel they like me more now that I am vlc.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    LOL at my name.

For basis of comparison, we have a pond in our backyard with a marsh upstream.

Meativore May: 3 bug bites the entire month, while spending at least an hour outside right next to the pond any time the weather was nice. I actually watched mosquitoes fly toward me and then u-turn and move on.

Adding light carbs back in for one week in June: about 10 bites. Barely any time spent outside. Watched a mosquito land on my finger and help itself (because up until then I thought maybe the pets had fleas and it was unrelated).

Now because this was not a strict scientific study, we do have to consider the possibility that I had less bites in May because all the mosquitoes actually live in my house. :P

The lower you go, I imagine, the better this works. The mosquitoes alone are enough to send me back to my meativore ways, but the other benefits I felt and now no longer feel help the decision.
  • LemonMarmalade
    LemonMarmalade Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Mosquitoes love me either way.....the feeling is not mutual.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I've always been a major mosquito magnet. However, they will buzz around me annoyingly this season so far, but no bites I'm aware of. My fiance rubbed down with repellent and still got bit somewhat, but that might be due to the blood in his Pepsi stream, as I tell him. At the same time, I didn't get bit at all, but once the buzzing started, I hightailed it indoors, as I didn't see a point in tempting fate. My bites would always welt up in severe allergic reactions...

I wonder if the fact that my weight loss has slowed plays into this at all since burning fat for me tends to release estrogen and throw off my hormone balance?