Fitting in exercise

Options
heathsab
heathsab Posts: 13 Member
Anyone else trying to figure out how to fit in some exercise with a full time internship/job this summer? I'm thinking I may have to start exercising in the morning, but I can't ever figure out how to structure my breakfast when I do that. I find my workouts go the best when I've eaten something substantial about an hour before, but if I want to go running at 7:30am, that means I'd have to start eating at 6:30am. Has anyone else had this problem, and did you find a solution that works for you?

Replies

• louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of orange juice before I go running in the morning - it's just enough to fill me up, the sugar works a treat but it's not so filling I feel ill when running. Then I eat when I get home. Do you think that might work for you?
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I've been through something similar, and frankly am still trying to figure it out. I've learned that multitasking sets some people free, so you might volunteer to do something for your boss/interns' mentor that gets you walking. Also, for me, remembering that I live for God, to advance His Kingdom and maintain the Holy Spirit's Temple in me, helps put life in perspective. Prioritize things like breakfast and workouts like you would, say, caring for your child. It is hard, but possible, to balance studies and life. I hope this helps!
  • lauragrafhamknapp
    lauragrafhamknapp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've debated this issue, too. I have to be at work by 8am, and it's enough of a challenge getting out of bed by 7am for me. After a couple attempts to work out in the A.M. I called it quits.

If you have a wonderful spouse, live-in partner, etc., see if they mind having dinner a little later, around 6-6:30pm. Going to the gym or running directly after work works really well for me, and usually there are pretty good group classes around 5pm. And then when you get home, you're DONE and can RELAX. Of course if you live in a hot climate, this might be harder...running in heat is killer for me.

Hope this helps! I love having people I can ask questions of; feel free to ask us anything!

• bangbangchoochootrain
    bangbangchoochootrain Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Bananas! They're the best. Also try running without eating first - I do that and it seems to work but everybody (and every body) if different so if it makes you ill please don't!
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    try running without eating first - I do that and it seems to work but everybody (and every body) if different so if it makes you ill please don't!
    I can relate. I used to ride a horse once a week for exercise and pain control. I once had a morning appointment there to make up for cancellation of my normal slot that was to take place the next week. I thought I'd never make it since we'd eat breakfast afterward but instead never felt better, could totally feel the burn in the best way possible and, although I'd ridden two days before (normal slot Wed. pm, makeup Friday am), I still felt the pain management effects. I of course don't fast before every workout but discovered that it's okay occasionally. I guess how much energy you'd need to have saved depends on the intensity of the planned workout (running vs. horseback riding, walking).