The power of C25k

Options
ftrobbie
ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
To give you something to aim for and to show the power of this programme and subsequent ones. This time last year I could not run, I started C25k on 15 June 2014. I started it with all the same trepidations that you guys/girls have. I feared W3D5, the 20 min run. I struggled with my ego and going to fast (10 minute miles). I found that slowing to 11m45s miles helped. I completed the programme unable to do a 5k in 30mins, it took 33. However yesterday I completed my 3rd half marathon and broke 2 hours (1hr 55mins) and as a nearly 50 year old.

If you follow the programme you can complete c25k and follow whatever dream or path you want. I thought I would never ever love running, I hated it at school. I now feel a bit odd if I do not get the endorphin rush early in my day. How things change.

Best of luck on your journeys

Replies

• maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thanks @ftrobbie, for taking the time to share this. I share so many of the same feelings you expressed - not enjoying running earlier in life, the "40s" thing :o - but especially the early morning endorphin rush!

Excellent job on your half marathon! Keep stopping by an encouraging us C25K'ers!
  • KRPolo
    KRPolo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    @ftrobbie Congratulations on another great achievement! Thank you for all of the support and advice that you provide on a daily basis to all of us that hope to follow in your footsteps. You are an inspiration!
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. I'm starting w6 tonight, but I'm already questioning w7 and on. Your encouragement came at the right time.
  • samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    @ftrobbie Congratulations on your half marathon and PR! Thank you so much for hanging around to help us newbies.
  • JSC145
    JSC145 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @ftrobbie for the encouragement!

Only half way through the program but i notice a world of difference from when I started.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    C25k is a start, a very important start. It gave me the belief that I could do a lot of things I previously thought impossible or at least unlikely.

Thanks for the positive comments but the real reason for posting was to show you how far you could go in a short time. Keep going you are all doing great and you will get there. During c25k it is as much about training the mind as it is the body.

Good luck with the programme, although you do not really need luck just trust in the programme.
  • mrsjatty
    mrsjatty Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    C25k is a start, a very important start. It gave me the belief that I could do a lot of things I previously thought impossible.

This, I'm in the same boat. I have a new, very new, found belief in myself. I held myself back from so many things and never finished anything ( sewing cupboard full of UFO's!!) Never believed I could do anything. I stopped believing in my body when infertility became an issue and I hated my body because it could not carry a child, got pregnant ok but difficulty sticking. Basically just felt like I had a body that could do nothing and broke my heart over and over. As strange as it sounds finishing something that to others would be insignificant was massive for me. It's hard to explain but those 9 weeks have changed my life.

For people new to it as Robbie says trust the program, stick to it and you will succeed. MIND/MATTER
  • birtley15
    birtley15 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the motivation!!! I am only on W2D2. I am already starting to feel better about myself and more confident in my exercise routine. I just registered for my first 5K in August this story will motivate me to keep training no matter how hard it gets!!