Fatigue months after RNY...

Options
Trayjay33
Trayjay33 Posts: 122 Member
I have been dealing with quite a bit of tiredness pretty months after surgery. I tried to increase my calorie and water intake to see if that's a factor but it doesn't make a difference. I usually get about 700-850/day but that's my norm and has been even when I had more energy. Vitamins are tolerated fine, blood work is ok. I'm kind of at a loss as to what may be causing this fatigue at about 8 months out. Just wondering if anyone else had this issue this far out and if you found anything to help correct it. Thanks for any input.

Replies

• Trayjay33
    Options
    Wow...I'm the only one who has had issues with fatigue this late in the game. I guess I should chalk it up to being a special case. I'm always one for standing out. Yeah me! ✨
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'm not that far out yet. Have you had your iron levels checked recently?
  • Trayjay33
    Options
    @hockey7fan thank you for responding. I did have a iron panel done in April and saw my Hematologist in May. It was fine, I'm thinking it's more hormonal but not sure.. I have a pretty demanding job and I'm hoping for some resolution to this soon.
  • hockey7fan
    Options
    Hmm what does your doctor say? Or did you check with the dietitian? I would think some kind of vitamin deficiency like D or B.
  • Trayjay33
    Options
    When I saw my Doctor things were not as bad but she drew pretty in depth labs and Vit D and B were ok. She was thinking B might be low. I don't have a dietitian because I was a kind of emergency revisionist and changed to a new Surgeon. There were issues with my band not so much my eating habits. I will call and follow-up with my Surgeon as things are unresolved. Thank you for talking it through with me.
  • hockey7fan
    Options
    I had the same problem with the band so I understand. It's good information for me for later since I'm only a week out from my revision.
  • Trayjay33
    Options
    @hockey7fan congratulations on your revision. I am happy overall with my surgery. I've had a few setbacks but nothing like the everyday regret when I had the lap band. The lap band made me appreciate this surgery even more so I did get something out of it. Wish you the best.
  • nurserobin37087
    nurserobin37087 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am 8 months out and am having the same problem, I had my surgeon draw a thyroid function panel to see if that was it because all of my other labs were perfect. My thyroid is low but have to wait for my primary to get the results from my surgeon before they can do anything about it. Make sure they draw more than just a TSH, you need the T3, T4, reverse T3, and thyroid autoantibody to make sure. Good Luck!
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I would check your iron/hemoglobin; Vitamin D; Vitamin B. Also, how much exercise/activity are you getting? You don't want to go overboard with that, but none at all will also make you lethargic. If it is stress from your job, that is a tougher situation because its likely not realistic to quit :) Maybe you could do something to treat yourself (that doesn't involve food) that would give you some relaxation away from the stress? Sending best wishes!
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    If all your labs are good, maybe you should think about adding more calories. I know this has worked for you but your body has been running on these super low calories for a long time and if you have a demanding job, all the more reason. Talk to your dietitian.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough sleep? I know I don't always, and it catches up to me.
  • Keikix3
    Keikix3 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Fatigue and lethargy are not fun to be dealing with. I hope you are able to get to the bottom of it soon. Is this a common side effect of the surgeries earlier than what you are going through?
  • Trayjay33
    Options
    Thank you for the responses, I will call the Doctors office and request blood work including the Thyroid tests, Vit B, etc. There are days I just can't stomach getting in more calories than 850-900 but I got about 1100 today because I was feeling especially tired and thought it might help. My main source of activity is walking. I have a Fitbit and it monitors my sleep as well. When I get home from work I have to sleep then wake up and back to sleep. It's broken up but that's not new. What is new is that I can sleep for hours and feel weak. The less tired I am the more I walk. Having a demanding job will not change but things are better than ever as I start a new job within my company soon. This bothers me because I don't want to be fatigued. I feel like I did early on post-op when I was very fatigued. It resolved about 2.5 months out but here it is again. I don't have a Nutritionist but will schedule an appointment with my Surgeons office to review the issues. Thanks for the well wishes.
  • QuilterGirl3
    QuilterGirl3 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Do you have sleep apnea?
  • Trayjay33
    Options
    Do you have sleep apnea?

I did not have to do the test for sleep apnea. My Pulmonologist didn't think I needed it based on my history and exam. Something for me to think about though...