pork rinds?

Options

Replies

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Cheesy567 wrote: »
    So, does anyone know why pork rinds all seem to have 9-10gm of protein per serving, but instead of a percentage they say "not a significant source of protein" meanwhile Special K cereal bars have 4gm of protein and market themselves as "excellent source of protein"? Is there a law that pork rinds have to write that? (I've seen it on several brands on Amazon). Is it that the protein is an unusable source and our body won't recognize it?

Probably just marketing. Sad but true.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Pork rinds are an incomplete protein. If you tried to meet your entire protein needs from them, you would be missing out on essential amino acids that your body is unable to create internally. That's all that warning is about. Eating 6 servings of pork rinds a day, with butter, and a multi-vitamin (fo- nutrition) and you might look like you're doing "ok"--on paper. You're meeting all your keto macros and micros. But, you're in for a world of hurt in a short period of time because you're missing important amino acids.

Found some discussion on it here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3651561&page=1
    Gelatin is not a complete protein for mammalian nutrition. It lacks the essential amino acid tryptophan and is deficient in sulfur-containing amino acids.

So, there you go. Man can't live on pork rinds alone. ;)
  • InADarkRoom
    InADarkRoom Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    What do they taste like? I've never tried them...not a big fan of pork at all so they've never been on my radar!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Thank you @FIT_Goat !

What do they taste like? I've never tried them...not a big fan of pork at all so they've never been on my radar!

They're mostly crunchy and salty. I don't notice an overwhelming flavor, but they taste a bit meaty.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Don't let the smell turn you off. They taste better than they smell, thankfully!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    They don't sell them in Japan, alas. And the only import shop on amazon.jp was one in the UK, offering a box of 8 bags for about $50! http://www.amazon.co.jp/Big-Bag-Pork-Scratchings-75gram/dp/B00CK6L7UY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433316570&sr=8-1&keywords=Pork+scratchings

A Canadian friend of mine here recently gave me some lard that she had rendered herself in her crockpot (!!). From the stuff skimmed off the top, she also roasted "pork cracklings" -- they taste great, if a bit greasy. I have been sprinkling them on my eggs. I am not so adventurous in the kitchen.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Don't let the smell turn you off. They taste better than they smell, thankfully!

I like the pork rinds/pork skins, but I DO NOT like the "cracklins." I don't know if the recipes are different here than other places... But I also find that I pair mine with sharp cheddar cheese, and I eat them in small pieces. But I prefer cheese crisps anyway....
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I grew up with homemade crackins that are a by-product of rendering hog lard. They start out as a chunk of skin and fat but around here the pork rinds look like boiled strips of hog fat without the skin.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Is it just the same as the crunchy skin/fay on roast pork?
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    We have both kinds. We have the fluffy puffy airy one, and the hard crunchy one with the layer of fat. I eat them both! :wink:
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    One advantage of being in the south, get are in every grocery store and gas station

I have never dipped them!

They are flavored, hot, Cajun, or BBQ

Have not had them in a bit
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Use the salt and pepper flavor to dip avocado, garlic, mayo dip. So good and my husband thinks he's getting a great!
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Try and check your ingredients though...some brands you find in the store will add MSG - especially the flavored ones... You should only see Pork, oil and salt (if you worry about that kind of stuff). If you like the spicy guys, try getting the plains and adding some tabasco. Delish.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    As an aside...I made a recipe a couple of weeks ago where you baked chix things with the skin on, and then deskinned them for a casserole. I took those skins and baked them again on a rack in the oven to crisp them up, turning them a couple of times and holy moly. They were to die for.
  • GwenFan7
    GwenFan7 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Omg. I am sad to say I sometimes eat more pork rinds than veggies in a day.
    They're great plain, with Ranch dressing on them or for a sweet snack, I put cinnamon and a bit of Splenda on them and shake the bag to mix. It's good- seriously.
    I avoid flavored pork rinds, but use them- crushed- for croutons or breading!
    I think LCHF wouldn't work for me if I couldn have my go-to snack.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    As croutons

Interesting idea!!

A new one to try.
  • Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Finally found some. Old Dutch bacon puffs. Wow way better than I expected and obviously was needing the salt cause I really enjoyed licking it off, then crunching them.
  • cottagegirl71
    cottagegirl71 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    wasn't a fan of the ones I tried but am not giving up! going to North Carolina this summer and will stock up on whatever I can find :)
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Here I find them with the Mexican/Spanish import foods.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I just picked up a bag at Fred's. They are from a company in Bartlett TN. The flavored ones where a no go for me because of the added stuff. Mine just had salt added.