New and looking for some friends!

Options
paleogal1129
paleogal1129 Posts: 8 Member
Hello everyone. I'm brand new to this type of eating and looking to improve my health with it. I'd totally love some new friends to help navigate this journey, especially if you have open diaries. I'm looking to lose about 45 pounds, maybe more maybe less when I get close to my goal. I eat paleo, but primal/paleo/low carb/80/20 eaters are totally welcome to send a friend request!

I do have one question to ask you all, from what I've glanced at, the main board seems ROUGH to anyone who doesn't eat their way... Is it always like this? Do you venture out on the main forum? Or is it much safer in here?

Replies

• ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I do have one question to ask you all, from what I've glanced at, the main board seems ROUGH to anyone who doesn't eat their way... Is it always like this? Do you venture out on the main forum? Or is it much safer in here?
    Yes. Rarely. Yes!

Welcome!

• CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Feel free to add me, I have been logging for carb purposes only (so I am lazier about logging my foods that have 0 carbs)
    I'd say if you have specific questions pertaining to this way of eating, ask them here or in the low carb group. Especially if you want support from people who have done it and are living proof it works. The main forum is about IIFYM, which says you can have whatever you want as long as it fits in your macros. This isn't a bad notion either, but low carb works waaaay better for me and the way I feel! And it's all about finding something that agrees with you long term.
    People are allowed to be blunt in the main forums, and they are especially so when people try to negate the cico process or try to perpetuate diet myths. It hurts feelings because it is not what say, a brand new poster expects. Doesn't mean they don't have good information... in fact, they have a lot of good information. I like going in there to give my two cents, especially to people who are frustrated with dieting. Venture in there at your own risk ;)
  • isidore33
    isidore33 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the group and am a Paleo Junky, add me as a friend.
  • jrosto
    jrosto Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome.

Yes, it does get rough in the general forums. Some folks really seem to get off on trolling any post paleo/primal/low carb. There is a lot of good information in the forums, just be ready for the trolls.

I've lost 90 pounds eating primal and have been very successful at maintaining my healthy weight. Even better than the weight loss is the fact that I feel pretty great.

I log daily and you are more than welcome to add me as a friend if you wish. My diet does include some milk products (kefir, yogurt, and heavy cream on occasion) and a small amount of very dark chocolate.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Welcome, and sadly YES people are just straight out nasty on the normal forums even if you eat "their" way. You will never be perfect enough for them, sad to say. I get tired of being told I'm stupid for not eating wheat or that I'm being dramatic or like my mother in law said "you'll die eating that much fat". Eh maybe I will but hopefully not for at least 50 more years.
    Here however I don't have an issues and have made some good friends.
    I've been paleo/primal style for 6 weeks or so? Honestly I haven't paid attention. I've lost 7 pounds and my pants are loser, previously I was eating strictly by calories and had been stuck (even gaining!) for about 7 months. My average calories now are between 1800-2000 a day. Yes some days I eat more carbs but meh, something tells me if grok found the yummy strawberries I did he would have eaten a lot more. ! :lol:
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    This is the worst forum I have ever been a member of for a Main Forum. It is nearly useless

The groups are the only reason I am here

The groups for low carb and Paleo are great!
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Yep the forums are rough. There is a group of folks that like to get all experty about things and demand peer-reviewed scientific studies and use words like strawman and vacuum, and mock folks who are interested in eliminating certain foods from their diets for whatever reason unless it is due to a pre-existing health condition which you should always mention when you post because new people are supposed to automatically know how forums work and have finely polished debate skills. Having said all that, there are nuggets of good information over there, so I just read and rarely post.

I just hit my 45 pound mark (not my MFP 45 pounds but 45 since I started Paleo), and have an open diary although I haven't eaten well today or yesterday but add me if you like!
  • paleogal1129
    paleogal1129 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Yep the forums are rough. There is a group of folks that like to get all experty about things and demand peer-reviewed scientific studies and use words like strawman and vacuum, and mock folks who are interested in eliminating certain foods from their diets for whatever reason unless it is due to a pre-existing health condition which you should always mention when you post because new people are supposed to automatically know how forums work and have finely polished debate skills. Having said all that, there are nuggets of good information over there, so I just read and rarely post.

I just hit my 45 pound mark (not my MFP 45 pounds but 45 since I started Paleo), and have an open diary although I haven't eaten well today or yesterday but add me if you like!

Alongside the peer reviewed studies, I'm surprised they haven't taken to demanding to see the personal medical records of the offending poster. It'll happen one of these days.

That seems super excessive, but over the past few days I've noticed it. They seem really into jumping people. Ithink I'll stick to this forum mainly. :) Thank you everyone for being so sweet!
  • keemra
    keemra Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am not new to My Fitness Pal, but am new to Paleo and to the forums. I would love some new friends too.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi Paleogal, I venture to the main forums to be helpful and like to look at everything nutrition related objectively and there are many disparate opinions floating about there and some knowledgeable people. I've read 'Diet Cults' and Alan Aragons blog (a fitness guru respected by many in the main forum) in addition to every Paleo book I can get my hands on. I'm afraid the former miss the point about what the modern Paleo way of eating is. When people say, " you can't eat that because Paleolithic people didn't." Or "You can eat grain because grain and legume residues were found in the skulls of ancient hominids." They are missing the point and it sucks for them. The number one rule of Paleo is: don't eat anything that will kill you or make you sick. Our ancestors made that rule paramount. Nowadays, we have access to plenty of sickening foods. Paleo/primal cuts them out. That is why there is AIP Paleo and so many permutations of Paleo. What is sickening or hard to digest by one person, may not be for another. These subtleties are totally lost on the die hard cico fanatics on the main board. Rant over.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'll send you a request. I have not been logging but I think I will start again for carb purposes. My ventures into the general forums are rare. There's a really nasty group of IIFYM people that just descend on anyone who dares to say that we should categorize food into good and bad. Like taking anything but general macros into account makes you cray-zee! Nevermind carcinogens, inflammatory foods, etc. If I feel like saying something I'm generally in then back out again.
  • ivyvine22001
    ivyvine22001 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone. I'm not new to MFP, but I am new to this group and would like some new friends as well. I have hypothyroidism and hashimoto's disease. I began eating paleo about 2 months ago, but still trying to figure it all out. Since I am strictly Paleo,(and have read the prior posts about unnecessary roughness), I will only venture out to this group. Thanks! I look forward to chatting with everyone!
  • ivyvine22001
    ivyvine22001 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks newmeadow!
  • maril101
    maril101 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been noticing the distinct turn to a high level of combativeness and general nastiness in the forums since I returned to MFP a couple of months ago. I wanted to find a place where I could get some good information and support for Primal/Paleo/low carb and I think this may be it. If anyone is interested in new friends, I would love to have some myself. I'm very happy this is here.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Hello all new members! I have been in and out here because I am super busy and stressed in the process of buying a house! I have been (mostly, except a lot of cheating!) Paleo/Primal for about 5 years now. I fall off track if I feel like I don't have time. Working on changing that, just made myself a list of easy foods to prep ahead to combat my inner junk food junkie! (I am also intolerant of grains in general, mainly wheat, and sometimes dairy). I feel my best this way, but the mental lure of junk overtakes me when stressed or ill!

Feel free to add me anyone!
  • grnidgirl
    grnidgirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    New to group and looking for friends. Been paleo for a year. I've lost 30 lbs. trying to figure out macros for last 5-10 lbs and for sustaining energy and not dealing with hunger. Also battle with sibo and leaky gut and ai issues also food allergies but everyday gets better!
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Add me too! I stumbled across Primal as a way of eating and thought id give it a go (so far day 4) and am finding it much easier than I thought it would be! I haven't been too focused on macros, so far. Ive been aiming to keep my crabs under 100g and I read somewhere that proteins should be the size of your palm so that's what I've been doing :)
  • beachgirl613
    beachgirl613 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Add me too! I stumbled upon Paleo/primal after being diagnosed with an autoimmune disease last year. I haven't been perfect but I'm getting better and still learning. I'm pretty stubborn and will fall back on my old ways even though I know I'll feel like crap the next few days.
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hi new people, feel free to add me. I'm on and off Paleo but believe it's the best thing for me and my body and overall health so I'm back on the wagon and hoping to improve my health greatly by the holidays!

I something wander to the general forums and am so struck dumb by how focused people are on belittling other people's food choices. I really don't understand why they care so much or put so much energy into undermining someone trying to become healthier. It's rather sad.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hello everyone. I'm brand new to this type of eating and looking to improve my health with it. I'd totally love some new friends to help navigate this journey, especially if you have open diaries. I'm looking to lose about 45 pounds, maybe more maybe less when I get close to my goal. I eat paleo, but primal/paleo/low carb/80/20 eaters are totally welcome to send a friend request!

I think my diary is open. I haven't been updating consistently, because we've been out of town so much, but I've started keeping track again just to make sure I'm on track and getting enough calories. I tend to under-eat when I'm "straight paleo" because the food is so satiating.

Feel free to add me. I fit your description. Just mention you're from the "paleo/primal" board, if you don't mind.

p.s. You're right about the main boards. It tends to be much "safer" in here. Everyone I've interacted with here has been helpful, and we all seem to understand that there is no "perfect" plan -- you have to find what works best for your own body.