Options
Truus93
Truus93 Posts: 7 Member
Anyone starting this monday?

Replies

• gettingsexy94
    gettingsexy94 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start Insanity today :) I'll probably just do the fit test today.
  • rightoncommander
    rightoncommander Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Fit test completed this morning. Legs like jelly. Arms not so much, just because my HR was so high I couldn't do many push-up jacks.

Insanity is like childbirth - the only explanation for doing it more than once is that you've forgotten how much it hurt last time.
  • rightoncommander
    Options
    I plan to keep this thread alive and just gradually suck in all the insane people who started on 1st June! First day of plyo today. Verdict - it was tough!

First circuit kept my HR above 170 for a long time. My max HR is a little over 180. The 2nd circuit is just upper-body after upper-body, even the fittest guys in the video can't keep up - HR came down around 155. I had a good go at the level 1 drills in all 3 rounds, though, so I'm fairly pleased. In-and-out abs - er, no, shoulders burning by that point, no chance!

Average HR for the whole workout was 151, which is pretty high for me in week 1.
  • rightoncommander
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Still going - join in when you want! Power & resistance today - main problem was getting out of bed, worst DOMS I've ever had, and I ran a marathon last month! The soreness eased off during warm-up, and I had a pretty good workout, but I'm looking forward to Recovery tomorrow. I have to get up from my desk at least every hour, or I seize up again.

How is anybody else getting along?
  • liftreadphilosophize
    liftreadphilosophize Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I started Month 2 this past Saturday, but I'm going to jump in, anyway. :smile:

Month 2 is toughtoughtough for me. I feel like I haven't been able to keep up nearly as much as I did in Month 1. Is anyone supplementing with yoga or prolonged stretching to help relax tight muscles? Anyone find relief with foam rolling?
  • NOMEEKELO
    NOMEEKELO Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Day 3. Recovery day. Yay!!! Soreness greeted me again this morning. I can't wait until that part is over. Keep pushin play! See you tomorrow!!!
  • rightoncommander
    Options
    I'm going to 'fess up to skipping recovery yesterday because life. I'm more ashamed of the fact that if it was a "proper" workout I would have done it anyway despite family commitments.

Anyway, today's pure cardio workout went pretty well, I finally seem to be getting back into the swing of it. I was going to focus on 5k running this summer but I have a slight heel injury that I'm taking it easy on. I'm hoping Insanity will give me "that speed I've always wanted" and keep me on track running-wise. And help me lose those extra pounds that slow me down every race.
  • rightoncommander
    Options
    Yesterday I did the cardio circuit again, the DOMS has gone and I did most of the level 1 drills!

Definitely back in the swing of things.

Only problem is my foot injury isn't really improving, but I started a nine-week programme deliberately to make sure I didn't start running again too soon.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I did insanity a couple of years ago... Always skipped the recovery workout! :laugh:
  • rightoncommander
    Options
    I did insanity a couple of years ago... Always skipped the recovery workout! :laugh:
    :) First workout I've skipped for reasons other than illness, and this is my 4th round! How did you find it affected your running? Since I'm intending to concentrate on 5k-10k, I've chosen Insanity as least likely cross-training to mess up my running goals. Only downside is that it isn't zero-impact, though nowhere near as high-impact as running.

Today's Power and Resistance was awful. I only ate one (enormous) meal yesterday at a family party, so I was pretty low on glycogen, and couldn't get going. It was a serious workout, but I should have downed a gel before I started for higher intensity.
  • NOMEEKELO
    NOMEEKELO Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Why do you skip Recovery?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    :) First workout I've skipped for reasons other than illness, and this is my 4th round! How did you find it affected your running? Since I'm intending to concentrate on 5k-10k, I've chosen Insanity as least likely cross-training to mess up my running goals. Only downside is that it isn't zero-impact, though nowhere near as high-impact as running.

Today's Power and Resistance was awful. I only ate one (enormous) meal yesterday at a family party, so I was pretty low on glycogen, and couldn't get going. It was a serious workout, but I should have downed a gel before I started for higher intensity.

I did insanity before I started running - it improved my fitness loads though. I would worry a but about my knees with all the high impact nature of it for cross training with all the jumping. How often do you do it?
  • ashoona
    ashoona Posts: 42 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Latecomer here but hope I can still join in. Just completed day 2 so I'm a week behind. Good luck everyone and please keep posting your progress.
  • rightoncommander
    edited June 2015
    Options
    NOMEEKELO wrote: »
    Why do you skip Recovery?

I don't deliberately skip recovery, but I'm more likely to skip if it is recovery because I don't feel like I'm missing out too much.

Take today. It's my daughter's birthday, so I was up with the lark opening presents, and there's no way I was getting up an hour earlier to do Insanity. This evening is her party. I may get the chance to work out after the kids are in bed. More likely I won't, so I'll catch up today's workout tomorrow because I'd rather skip recovery than today's workout (Power and Resistance I think).

Right, as for yesterday's workout, it was pure cardio, and it was a breeze! I've started taking a breather just before the drills, because that's what the folk in the video do and I can do a lot more of them that way.

EDIT: I've just remembered that pure cardio is followed by Abs from now on in the schedule. I knew it was too easy!
  • rightoncommander
    Options
    I did insanity before I started running - it improved my fitness loads though. I would worry a but about my knees with all the high impact nature of it for cross training with all the jumping. How often do you do it?

It's not really cross training, it's just filler while my heel heals. I wouldn't combine it with running, but for now it's a decent substitute. I'm doing a full 9 weeks, it may be relatively high-impact, but I land on the balls of my feet in Insanity, so it gives the heel chance to recover. Actually, I'll be making a sports physio appointment soon, it seems to be a "proper" sports injury, not just a traumatic one like an ankle sprain. :/
  • rightoncommander
    Options
    Okay, I seem to have skipped a few days' updates.

Did recovery on Wednesday because I didn't get chance to do Insanity until 9:30pm. I've done all the workouts since then, but my diet has been awful. Just hope I haven't put too much weight on this week - I'm trying to lose 10 pounds or so, although my main aim is maintaining aerobic fitness while building up muscle strength.
  • rightoncommander
    Options
    I've fallen off the wagon posting-wise, but not Insanity-wise. Why would I miss that feeling?! I had a really tough workout this morning after a terrible night's sleep. It would have been worse, but I didn't have time to do my programmed pure cardio + abs, so I did tomorrow's power workout instead.
  • rightoncommander
    Options
    Still going strong. Basically, once I've started a round of Insanity, I'll move heaven and earth to make sure I get my workouts in. That Pure + Abs session I did yesterday at the gym at work, I was the only one in there at 5:15am. It was interesting because I've never done it in front of a mirror before, so I really paid attention to my form in all exercises. The result was better form and a couple more rests. I hadn't noticed myself compromising form, but really concentrating on form made for a better (harder) workout.

Today's plyo circuit was fine. I still haven't sussed out the best way to tackle the 2nd circuit. This morning, I sacrificed a lot of the ski abs, but really went for it in the drills and in-and-outs. Not even the insanely fit people in the video can manage all three, three times in row.
  • rightoncommander
    Options
    I do enjoy recovery week. The workout is still a decent workout - I remember on my first round struggling with the drills and plank walks, and I still struggle with the vertical jumps, and a 450-calorie headstart is not to be sniffed at. It doesn't leave me drained at the end, though: I just trot back into the house, have a shake and get on with my day.

I'm going out for a 5k on Saturday. I'm trying to keep expectations low, but can't help hoping for a racy time. 4 weeks of Insanity has made me feel pretty good about the shape I'm in, but no running in that time, either, hence the low expectations.

The only downside is that for some reason I'm dreading month 2 this time around - getting up a few minutes earlier, and the workouts are pretty tough as well, especially as you adjust in the first week.
  • rightoncommander
    Options
    Back into crazy Insanity, month 2. It's easy to forget how tough month 2 is, my legs are feeling dead, and my pecs are really sore. I missed my first ever "proper" workout on Monday, basically because my wife told me it was too late for that nonsense and ordered me to bed. I did do the fit test, in the morning, though. I'll make it up, probably at the end.

In other news, I did get a good 5k time, just 31 seconds shy of my personal best. Not very windy, cool, damp conditions, combined with a group of 3 other runners going at a similar pace to mine and fresher legs after recovery week. I was determined to overtake the leader of our group on the last lap (3 one-mile laps in our park), but he out-kicked me in the end. I wouldn't mind so much but he's only 11!

In month 2 this time around I want to avoid doing Core Cardio. I don't have the deluxe edition, though. Has anyone out there done Max Interval Sports Training? The title makes it sound a lot tougher than Core Cardio! What would be a good substitute from the regular edition? I plan to do Power and Resistance from month 1, unless anyone has a better suggestion.