Graves Disease, RAI and still hyper 4 was later

Options
roelseri
roelseri Posts: 5 Member
i was diagnosed with graves 10 years ago and have never had typical symptoms of the disease. I actually found it because I was GAINING weight. I've been treating with tapazole the last 10 years but after having two babies my doc recommended RAI as a more permanent solution. I had RAI done 4 weeks ago and am still hyper. I am working so hard to prevent weight gain, restricting to 1500 cal a day (not eating exercise calories) and working out 6 days a week ( combo of lifting and cardio) and I can't get the scale to move! I'm so scared if I can't get results and I'm still hyper, what's going to happen after the RAI takes effects and I go hypo? My labs as of yesterday are tsh .015 and ft4 1.55. Anyone else been hyper and had such challenges LOSING?? Thanks!!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Don't panic! Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you—no matter what your thyroid levels are.

You diary is private. Are you logging everything you eat accurately & honestly? That's step one.

Have you read the Sexypants post? So much good "how-to" information: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    So sorry you still feel grim. I have not experienced this but understand it can take time to resolve. I expect others who have been in your situation will be about later. There is a point of euthyroid not hyper nor hypo, balance. My hope is you will resolve to this.
  • roelseri
    Options
    Thanks for your kindness! Thank you, I will check out the sexypants blog! Yes, very anal about counting and weighing everything that goes in my mouth! :)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Ugh - I remember the RAI as one of the lowest points. Good you're through that.

I had surgical removal coupled with RAI/chemo 15 years ago. Took a very long time to find a good endo willing to work with me and push the boundaries of levothyroxine.

Your lab results are perfect - many docs will push towards hyper following RAI. Biological systems don't like dramatic changes, so hopefully your endo is attempting to keep you feeling normal. My TSH is stabilized at ~2.2 once on 175/200mcg Synthroid alt day.

Just hang in there and as everyone else stated be patient and make small changes. You're on a good course already. Make sure you drink your recommended volume of water in addition to food. My diary is open if you care to review my strategy - focusing more on long steady state cardio x6 days and lifting MWF.

While not getting the scale to move are you seeing other gains? Definition, form, strength, endurance, etc? Focus on the positive - the scale will move in time.
  • roelseri
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your story! Yes, I do need to be patient, it's just so frustrating to work so hard with little result! Thank you for the reminder that the scale isn't everything though! I do need to drink more water too!!
  • kmpres
    kmpres Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Graves 12 years ago and my MD immediately set me up for RAI. There were no other options. It took nearly 6 months after RAI for my thyroid levels to drop. I'm on Levo now and my labs have been good. I need some adjustments when my weight changes too much I can remember the anxiety and mood swings and all the body temp regulation issues I was having-it was pure hell. My weight never dropped when I was hypo probably because I was hungry all the time and ate constantly. I was passed off as having anxiety disorder, but I knew there was something seriously wrong and it wasn't a mental health disorder.
    I struggle constantly to loose and maintain my weight. Low carbs, no sugar, and very minimally processed foods are some of the ways I keep weight off. I have a lot of food sensitivities now, but I don't know if it's thyroid related or what. I can't do any MSG or nitrates, I get stomach issues and swell up if I have MSG.
    As for exercise, I do yoga and walk/jog. I also drink about 2 liters of water a day.
    It's nice to be able to talk to other people who have Graves. Most people do not realize or understand the constant struggles of people with thyroid disorders. I have only recently come to the understanding that this is a chronic illness and I have to manage my life choices accordingly.
    Hang in there, your body is going through a lot of changes right now. Just keep moving forward!!
  • hbpslo
    hbpslo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It can certainly take time for the RAI to take effect. It isn't automatic. I had monthly blood tests for a long time after to check where my levels were. I think it was around month 2-3 when my thyroid finally died and I was started on Synthroid. That was about 13 years ago. Having an endo that you're comfortable with is very important to your success. I met with quite a few before I found the one that treated my Graves. Hang in there and be patient with yourself & your body.