Believe In Yourself

Options
luluinca
luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
Bill asked me when I joined your group today if I’d be interested in telling my story and if I had any tips to share with the rest of you. I’m not sure how interesting my story is and you may already be doing the exact same things I’ve done to get where you are but here goes….just in case it helps someone out a little. Therein lies the beauty of MFP.

I started here in Sept of 2013, at the age of 63, about 70 lbs overweight. I’d been suffering for about 6 years at that point with 3 herniated discs from a bad fall, and then in 2012 I became ill with a nearly deadly intestinal bacterium (salmonella). Because of the back and my lack of movement I’d gained weight for the first time in my life and then BOOM, when I got food poisoning, I lost 35 lbs in about 6 weeks. The bacteria got into my bloodstream and went straight to my liver, very scary and I was very sick. Once they cured me, a long process, the weight came back on like gangbusters in addition to a few extra unwanted pounds. I think it's called comfort food!!!

Something finally clicked for me in the summer of 2013 and I started swimming every day in our pool in an attempt to relieve the back pain and possibly lose a little weight. Some little part of me felt so grateful to be alive I thought it might be time to begin taking care of this old body. Sept rolled around and our pool got cold so I joined a gym in order to keep swimming. I was a swimmer in high school and had continued swimming off and on over the years, but not like this. I was possessed!

Then another click, or maybe it was just a brain fart, and I decided I wanted to try some of the gym equipment. My husband wouldn’t let me do it without a trainer so I hired one. They called her “Doc”. She worked her magic on my back, with a lot of hard work on my part, and a year later I was no longer suffering with back pain. I was lifting free weights, rowing, stair climbing, bike riding and even playing basketball and doing pushups. I felt like I was back in high school. And I’d lost almost 50 lbs. Exercise had become a habit and I was eating differently too, less junk and sweets, more protein and veggies.

I probably haven’t missed logging a meal more than a handful of times since I joined MFP. To date I’ve lost 64 lbs so I’m getting pretty close to my goal. My goals have changed a little though. Last Sept I hired a new trainer, a former Marine….OMG. He saw how much I enjoyed the weight lifting part of my workouts and so we’ve been focusing on that. Right now I’m dead lifting 165 lbs, my bench press is 85 lbs, OHP is 50, I squat 125 lbs, and I can do single arm rows with a 40 lb weight. You might be shocked to discover that I can leg press 510 lbs.....I know, I can't believe it either.

I eat protein like it’s going out of style and crave my morning smoothie if I don’t have it. It seriously has spinach and ground flax seed in it and is just a gawdawful color. All the things I wanted to do, I’ve been doing, and now they’ve become a habit. Give yourself the time it takes to create new habits and take control of the things you actually have some control over.

My best tips are log, eat a bit healthier, move a little more, find something you really enjoy that gets you out of your fitness comfort zone. You might be surprised at the skills you develop. Don’t let age hold you back……it’s just a number and don’t allow anyone to tell you differently.

Aging doesn’t end our forward momentum; it might change it a little, but there are still uncharted waters for each of us and now is the perfect time to explore what those might be.

Replies

• nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    luluinca, you are totally amazing. I am feeling inspired. Thanks for telling your story.
  • luluinca
    Options
    I'm glad if it helped a little bit.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the story. I am 63 also and lost almost 90 lbs. Your lifting is impressive. I have tried to like it, but it just isn't for me. I do it once a week, but not like you. Fabulous for finding your groove. Mine has turned out to be running. I was never an athlete, couch potato all my life. I have managed to run some 5k's. I think it is marvelous that we don't use age as an excuse.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Incredibly inspiring story. Thanks for sharing with us!
  • luluinca
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    Thanks for the story. I am 63 also and lost almost 90 lbs. Your lifting is impressive. I have tried to like it, but it just isn't for me. I do it once a week, but not like you. Fabulous for finding your groove. Mine has turned out to be running. I was never an athlete, couch potato all my life. I have managed to run some 5k's. I think it is marvelous that we don't use age as an excuse.

I think it's important for each of us to find our own groove. One of the things I've noticed from reading success stories here at MFP is that the men and women who are successful have stopped making excuses for almost any reason and they seem to have figured out the unique way that becoming healthier works for them.

BTW, I've always admired runners. :)
    mygnsac wrote: »
    Incredibly inspiring story. Thanks for sharing with us!

Thanks, it's really just one story in a million but sometimes I think when we overcome one difficult issue in our lives it gives us the confidence we need to reach even further.
  • delaneysmom46
    delaneysmom46 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Love your story. So inspiring. I will be turning 54 soon and sometimes feel like I am too old to try new things. I was an athlete all my life but long story short, the last few years I have been pretty sedentary. Starting to get the old body moving again in the form of walking(got a new puppy that loves the walks so have extra motivation from her) and doing some light weight lifting at home. Your story is giving me the courage to stop feeling old and start doing the things I used to love to do.
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    My best tips are log, eat a bit healthier, move a little more, find something you really enjoy that gets you out of your fitness comfort zone. You might be surprised at the skills you develop. Don’t let age hold you back……it’s just a number and don’t allow anyone to tell you differently.

Aging doesn’t end our forward momentum; it might change it a little, but there are still uncharted waters for each of us and now is the perfect time to explore what those might be.

Now that's what I'm talking about! - very inspiring, thanks for sharing.
  • luluinca
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Love your story. So inspiring. I will be turning 54 soon and sometimes feel like I am too old to try new things. I was an athlete all my life but long story short, the last few years I have been pretty sedentary. Starting to get the old body moving again in the form of walking(got a new puppy that loves the walks so have extra motivation from her) and doing some light weight lifting at home. Your story is giving me the courage to stop feeling old and start doing the things I used to love to do.

I love puppies and walking.........keep up the good work.....if I inspired you to do a little more than you thought you could, I'll be so happy!
    BRaye325 wrote: »
    luluinca wrote: »

Now that's what I'm talking about! - very inspiring, thanks for sharing.

Thanks Bill!

• BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    What can I say thT hasn't already been said other than WOW!!
    Thank you for inspiring us all
    Welcome to our group :)
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    LuLu...thanks for your story! You are an inspiration, and I'm glad you have shared.

It comes at the right time for me. I have been letting the scale dictate my sense of accomplishment, and
    there are days I want to wallow in self-pity! I've been seriously committed (this time) for nearly 6 months, but the scale is definitely not in my favor.

I love the challenge of lifting, too, and I continue to be in awe of what my 62-year-old body can do! :) Working with a personal trainer for the last 6 months has enabled me to enjoy and keep up with the 60 minutes of body pump I do 2x a week that I started last month. You are so right about finding the right "groove" and getting out of the fitness comfort zone.

Connie

• lynnstacey2
    lynnstacey2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! AND for reiterating my belief that age is nothing more than a number!
  • sdenesi
    sdenesi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    kudos to all of you!!
  • luluinca
    Options
    Thanks everyone for reading, and knowing like I do, that age is just a number!!!

And for the women here in the group especially, just remember that lifting weights, as heavy as you can, improves bone density.................which is so important!!!!
  • JamieIveyMahaffey
    JamieIveyMahaffey Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring. Thanks for sharing. No excuses. Love it!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Lulu, so you began lifting even with pre-existing back issues? I have chronic low-back problems and want to start lifting but am scared to. Did you have any back issues?
  • luluinca
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Lulu, so you began lifting even with pre-existing back issues? I have chronic low-back problems and want to start lifting but am scared to. Did you have any back issues?

I have 3 herniated discs..........they don't ever go away. But I worked around them by strengthening my core, my hips and also my legs and glutes. I had a really good trainer who worked with me for a year before I really started lifting heavy weights. And then my new trainer could see how strong I was, I always have been, and we decided to increase weights slowly.

I haven't had any problems except that I strained my hip flexor twice, once on each side. It took about 6 weeks to really get over each of those. It didn't have anything to do with my back though.

My back almost never hurts anymore as long as I use proper form and maintain all the other muscle groups, flexibility and tendons.

Hope that helps!

• Pokerdot2
    Pokerdot2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    wow
    Amazing and inspiring.
    Well done :)