How can you tell if you're in ketosis?

Options
Sorry, as I'm sure this ground has been covered in this group before, but how do you know when you're in or out of ketosis?

I saw the post about Keto stix, but it seems like maybe they're not a reliable gauge.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    dehydration, acetone breath (your breath smells like nail polish remover), strong smelling urine, lack of hunger
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I usually feel a little light-headed after re-entering, I verify with ketostix, and then I eat a pickle to replenish lost sodium. :)

The way I know I'm no longer in ketosis is by putting on about 3lbs of water weight.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I feel a little hyper -- like I'm on a teeny tiny bit of speed. It's rather nice. lol
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    If you are true to keeping your carb level less than 40G's a day, you'll be in Ketosis. You can spend $100ish dollars and get a Ketonix and you'll be able to accurately measure your levels.

See this post to see how you use it:

Ketonix Breath Analyzer Instructions

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    You Might Be a Keto Dieter If...(tons of funny lines about Keto'ers)
    LCHF is the XXXX (A funny animated explantion of the Keto WOE)
  • mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Yes to the above but medically the only way I know is with a ketone meter and use the Precision Xtra. Glucose strips dirt cheap but ketone strips are $1.50 each the last I found on Ebay but can run much more.

https://abbottdiabetescare.com/products/patient/pxtra-overview.html
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    First, you feel fantastic!
    The way to know for sure is to use a blood meter. Fasted glucose below 4.3mmol and Ketones above 0.5mmol means you are in ketosis AND actually using the ketones.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I feel a little hyper -- like I'm on a teeny tiny bit of speed. It's rather nice. lol

Me too--I can climb the hundreds of stairs on my daily train commute with no trouble, no muscle aches when I am in ketosis or close to it. I have never used ketostix or other gadgets to measure ketosis.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone! That's an exciting prospect. I'd love to have my regular energy back and then some. Especially as I prepare to go on a 9-day road trip with my kids. :-)

So, I am in a weird place, in that I was very sick over the weekend and the beginning of this week, but I haven't fully regained my appetite, and find myself eating on the VLC side of the spectrum. Like, 15g carbs each of the past two days. Previously I was averaging close to 50g, and before getting sick, more in the 70-100g range. Last night my energy did go way up, I was feeling fantastic and very productive. This morning I felt as bad as I could without thinking I was really sick again. Lightheaded and nauseous, with my heart pounding after minor exertion. I'm feeling mostly okay now, and able to keep up with my squirmy, playful, needy 24-lb baby.

I did get the metallic taste, but I attributed that to the Zofran I was taking for nausea. Haven't noticed acetone breath yet, though I'm sure my breath isn't pleasant. My weight is pretty much unchanged since the big drop I saw when I first got sick. With my appetite slashed, and a trend towards wanting/eating fewer carbs anyway, I'm tempted to go ahead and try Keto now... Now that I've already suffered through feeling like crap from a stomach bug, maybe part of the transition is already over. Then, am I making myself feel worse longer because I've so rapidly but my carbs?

How long did you average less than 40g carbs/day before you were truly fat-adapted, burning ketones and feeling good (or great)?

Thanks for bearing with all my newbie questions! I really appreciate your advice and support.

P.S. My calories are pretty low (for me), too, and not on purpose at all. I usually have to make myself eat. Yesterday was the first time I've been hungry. I'm eating a lot of fat, and sure enough, it's making me feel full for a loooooong time. Calories are in the 1200-1400 range these days. I had been eating 1700/day.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    Options
    Oh, and I am eating a lot more salt and sodium-rich foods.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    How long did you average less than 40g carbs/day before you were truly fat-adapted, burning ketones and feeling good (or great)?

Your brain adapts very quickly -- in about the 2 days it takes to deplete glycogen.

A lot of people suffer through the "keto flu" because they don't replenish electrolytes. You stop losing a lot of electrolytes after a week or so as the body starts losing ammonium ions instead.

The muscle adaptations seem to take about 3 weeks, at least in rats.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    Options
    Cool, thanks @wabmester!
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I just assume I am and carry on. Not very accurate I know! If my weight is going down nicely, I feel energetic and I'm not as hangry as I used to be, I consider everything to be working as it should be.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    I just assume I am and carry on. Not very accurate I know! If my weight is going down nicely, I feel energetic and I'm not as hangry as I used to be, I consider everything to be working as it should be.

Agreed - I pretty much just "go" with it and track. A certain amount is automatic to me if I feel human.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
  • mlinton_mesapark
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the great perspectives and links! I'm tempted to try the blood meter, given that it's fairly inexpensive.

I've been reeeeeeal irritable, especially with my kids this afternoon. I feel bad about that. Oh well, this too shall pass...
  • _Virgo_
    _Virgo_ Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I found the Keto and XXKeto subreddits on reddit.com to be VERY VERY informative! Check them out if you have a chance.
  • mlinton_mesapark
    Options
    Thanks, @_Virgo_ !
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great perspectives and links! I'm tempted to try the blood meter, given that it's fairly inexpensive.

I've been reeeeeeal irritable, especially with my kids this afternoon. I feel bad about that. Oh well, this too shall pass...

The meters themselves usually are inexpensive, but the test strips are NOT. Be sure to research all the ongoing costs before investing!
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I thought it took a few weeks to get adapted to keto?