How do artifical sweetners

Options
carimiller7391
carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
Affect you????

Good morning ladies and gents. I have been drinking massive quantities of water with mix-ins. I have found that certain flavors are triggering cravings- Crush strawberry seems to squash the cravings, but Hawaiian Lemonberry triggers cravings. I'm sharing this, as this really has hit home. I was wondering why every single time I had lemonberry water I got the munchies for sugar. Holy cow do I get the munchies. This is very critical info for me as according to my nutritionist, artificial sweetners can cause the same reaction as sugar in your body, causing insulin to be released. I do not know the science behind it, but supposedly this happens.

So with this said, wondering how artificial sweetners affect you?? Do you seem hungrier after eating something with them? Does one make you crave more while another doesn't? I've used splenda and truvia without having this issue. Have you even noticed a difference??

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I don't generally get extra cravings, but there is some anecdotal evidence that some people are affected by it more than others at a physiological level. I do, however, get Gi and/or neurological/inflammation (headaches, mainly) related issues with some, especially if I consume too much, so I tend to avoid them.

Stevia is self-limiting for me, anyway, since if I use too much, the flavor goes more bitter than sweet or overpowers everything else.

My husband gets horrible neurological issues from aspartame (namely, Equal). Dizziness, lightheadedness, the works. I can't stand the flavor of aspartame, so I avoid it generally. I do recall back when I was a teen, I found myself wanting to constantly drink Diet Pepsi when I was at my dad's for a couple of weeks one summer. May have been in part due to the aspartame, since I'm not a big cola fan in general (I much preferred Dr Pepper or Mello Yellow in my soda days).

I can't stand the aftertaste of Splenda, so I don't eat it, though it's usually the one I used for sugar free baking, since it seems to be the "safest" in terms of immediate side effects and flavor wise. I don't do sugar free baking all that much anymore and have never done it for myself.

I recently got into Xylitol, which is awesome in small amounts, because it tastes just like sugar. However, because it's a sugar alcohol, larger amounts cause GI issues, so it's reserved for stuff where it's not really swallowed (ie - home made toothpaste) or where only a tsp or so is used (smoothies, to cut any bitterness from things like cocoa or spinach).
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    No extra cravings here. They don't seem to do anything to me other than provide sweetness at 0 calories. I use splenda most of the time. Hate stevia, it tastes awful.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that the reason this triggers is because the insulin response in some of us is triggered first and foremost by our taste buds. Therefore, if it tastes sweet, the body attempts to process it as sugar.

That being said, different sweeteners affect me differently. Most sugar alcohols might as well be the devil to me. They cause severe gastro distress. (Google "sugar free gummy bear amazon reviews" for some stories as to what I mean - they really are not exaggerated.) Xylitol does not do that, but Maltitol and a few others are pure evil. I even have to limit sugarless gum for this reason.

I can have aspartame and/or sweet n low, but it burns my throat and makes me feel terrible. If it is in sugar free jello or a 5-hour energy shot type thing, the effects are minimized for whatever reason.

Splenda is tolerable. (I use the name brand packets at work because they are provided for free and sometimes the liquid - generic is fine for me here - at home. I just used it up last night though and don't know if I'll buy any more).

I prever stevia, but I cannot use the liquid stuff. Some "natural" ingredient they add in it causes me massive instant headaches. All Stevia is NOT created equal!! My preferred brand us PureVia Organic Non-GMO Stevia packets, 40 packets is $1.99 at Walmart. I have a friend who prefers another Organic Stevia on the shelf next to it, but it is about $2.48 I think for the same number of packets. But I've been told that Truvia brand is half sugar!!!! And my preferred brand does have 1 gram of sugar listed per packet, so I might be on a search for another one. I've heard Stevia in the Raw and MonkFruit in the Raw mentioned recently.

I have found out (this week mind you!) that if you use splenda and stevia together, the stevia amplifies the sweetness of the splenda, so my 3-4 packets now needs to be 1-2.... (that's per about 20 oz of tea)...

All of that being said, I avoid sweeteners wherever possible. It becomes a very slipperly slope for me. With the drink add-ins, you really need to read the label because some of them even have sugar with the other "natural" stuff. It is ridiculous. And remember, food labels can always round down. There is a 25% margin of error allowed within the FDA. It's ridiculous.

So what I do is I don't buy the gum I LOVE the flavor of...I buy the gum I can barely tolerate. That way I don't want more. Same with drinks/add-ins. I don't want to Love it... I want it to be tolerable, but barely. That keeps me out of the binge mindset. I also only sweeten my tea to the point where it is tolerable (I have to use something to cut the tannins or it affects my mouth in a really odd way). I have found that if I keep it just one step above undrinkable, it makes it tolerable, but my brain doesn't register SWEETS!!!!

Also, if I have desserts - even the on plan tolerable ones, it's far easier to slip up. After the first 6 weeks of low carbing it, I didn't even want them much - then a few berry cheesecake fat bomb recipes later, and I was toast. Berries are banned from my house for the time being. (And it's hilarious because I hated cheesecake before changing my eating plan...). Berries and their sugars are too much for me...
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Stevia and sugar alcohols, but generally avoid them except as a sometimes treat, because I don't want to train myself to look for sweetness.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    None of them seem to effect me in any significant or reliable way, and I can't taste the difference from sugar. They don't trigger cravings, but I still try to avoid them simply because I'm concerned about what they might do nervous system/hormonal system wise. I do try to keep some sugar free(has sugar alcohols) almond toffee from winco around for when I need to have a little something for dessert while guests eat cake or ice cream. Keeps me from feeling left out.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    TiaBia9 wrote: »
    No extra cravings here. They don't seem to do anything to me other than provide sweetness at 0 calories. I use splenda most of the time. Hate stevia, it tastes awful.

I am the same as ^^ this^^.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    They do stimulate cravings for me, so I am now staying away from all sweet tastes completely. I suspect they stall weight loss for me, but that could also be because I would tend to have other items like nuts along with my sweetener, for instance an almond meal cookie with xylitol. I used to use stevia and xylitol in small quantities and would not touch other sweeteners, but now not using those anymore. I had slight tummy distress if eating too much xylitol.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I can use SweetnLow in my iced tea without developing cravings. However, if I give in to a diet soda made with aspartame, I get hungry as all get out! Mostly I use liquid stevia at home, but sometimes when I go out to eat I use Sweetnlow. However, I have never checked to see if SnL raises my blood sugar. I also chew Trident gum which does not seem to affect my appetite - but Extra does. :smile:
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I just quit with it. The only thing is used Splenda in was coffee

Now I use coconut oil and a dash of half and half... And let it ride.

I have no idea if
    The new sweeteners are bad. I just remember saccharin was bad.

• Sk8Kate
    Sk8Kate Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I use 1/2 tsp Splenda in my BPC. Tried Stevia & it really disagrees with me. Did pick up some xylitol to try in a few recipes, but haven't done that yet. I do have diet coke on regular basis & I don't think it triggers any cravings.
  • mamichula1173
    mamichula1173 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I thankfully do not seem to have any reaction from sugar alcohols. I don't like the taste of Xylitol. I remember buying Spry gum a few years ago and the taste was unpleasant. Something about the aftertaste.
    I try to limit them bc as someone else said, it's a slippery slope for myself. If I'm making more and more dessert types I tend to eat more and more. Even if it's not "bad", I go to town.
    I have started using one Splenda in my morning coffee when I don't have access to a blender for my BPC, which I don't use a sweetener but I do use a splash of vanilla.