Greetings!

Options
JustMe2C
JustMe2C Posts: 101 Member
Hi! I'm Carol and have recently started following the keto woe.

My basics: I'm short, fat and 50 yrs young. I've yo-yo dieted for years and now believe it's done me more harm than good. Little over 2 yrs. ago I had 2 stents put in a 99% blocked artery. Next came the determination I was pre-diabetic. The following year I got to hear that ole' dreaded word...cancer. Goodbye thyroid. Hello weight gain...again.

I have 3 doctors, each wanting to only focus on their specialty without digging any further. I took it upon myself to start researching and that's where low carb kept coming up. It took me quite a while to get the guts to try it because I had always believed you needed LOTS of complex carbs for your body to function properly. Let me tell ya, it's been quite an education, to say the least. :)

During this past month I have already seen and felt so many changes in myself, and it's all been wonderful. I'm excited to see what's yet to come! Eventually, I might like to up my intake of carbs to a level that I know I can deal with safely, but I am not going to worry about that right now.

Sorry for the long ramblings, but atleast that's out of the way. Now I can get on to the more funner things of low carb with you all.

Replies

• mamichula1173
    mamichula1173 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yay for feeling better! It sounds like you've had a heck of a ride getting here but I'm happy you're discovering a way of eating that is helping you. Welcome! This community is very supportive.
  • AMPie73
    AMPie73 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi Carol,
    I am 42, 5'0" and 134lbs and have had 3 stents in 2 different arteries and still have one they were unable to stent due to its small size. I am also insulin resistant. It's funny how none of the doctors ever mentioned low carb to me, either, even though the only real risk factor I have for heart disease is bad genetics and insulin resistance. I did my research the same as you and kept seeing low carb coming up everywhere. I have been working on it for several months and haven't lost a lot in terms of weight but overall feel much better and healthier. Hope you continue to see great results.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Happy to meet you!

Sounds awesome how you are learning so much and taking charge of your life

Yay You!!
  • JustMe2C
    JustMe2C Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome and kind words!

AMP, feeling better and healthier is a very important thing to accomplish. Hang in there and the rest will come in time...or so I'm hoping since I seem to have stalled a bit as well.