Right combo of Cardio/Strength?

Options
SarahJurina
SarahJurina Posts: 38 Member
Hello ladies,
I have about 5lb left to lose, and I was wondering if I should be doing more strength training than I currently am. My week generally consists of 4-5 days of exercise: at about 2 strength training workouts each week (30 minutes apiece) and the rest HIIT cardio training that usually focus on abs or butt/thighs. Generally I work out for 30-45 minutes during these cardio workout videos. I mix it up each week with almost all new videos from fitnessblender. Any advice?
Thank you!

Replies

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I'm so weak and flabby that I'm doing a lot of HIIT right now, but I'm doing general strength-oriented HIIT. I honestly don't understand "targeted" videos--meaning that they make NO sense to me. You build muscle best not my overworking one muscle group but by working each one to its full potential for a limited time. You *see* your results by losing fat. Doing a "targeted" workout is going to decrease your fat loss (because you'll get tired) and isn't very good for muscle building compared to weights.

If you've built up enough strength to handle it, and you primarily want to lose weight, then 3 GOOD strength training workouts with reverse pyramids and adequate rest will get you there. HIIT 2 days for cardio fitness is a great bonus--even though HIIT is supposed to technically be anaerobic, it makes aerobic-type cardiovascular changes every bit as well as steady-state/time-wasting cardio. :P (I know some people love running, and if you like it, DO IT, but I personally pretty much hate it and am thrilled to do something more time-efficient!) The problem with strength training is that 90% of everyone and 99% of women do it wrong--too many reps, not enough weight.

(From a formerly-and-soon-to-be-again fit person. LOL. I just got off my butt finally last week. I'm sick of not fitting in my clothes!)
  • SarahJurina
    Options
    Thank you for the reply. I was reading that most women lift too light of weights and see no results. I am starting to lift heavier weights and hoping I can invest in more weights and kettlebells in the near future.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    If it isn't HARD, you're spinning your wheels.

I went from doing cross country/track 2.5 hours a day/4 days a week, 1 hour a day/1 day a week + meets/competitions (with occasional "strength day:").....to doing light cardio 2 days a week for :30 at a time and weight lifting (REAL lifting, for strength) :45 a day 3 days a week.

I weighed slightly less lifting. And I was smaller in my waist and more toned. (I DO bulk, as I have a genetic muscle disorder, so I actually gained a couple inches in the thighs. But I was 35.5"-23.5"-35.5". No one--and I mean no one--would say I didn't rock a bikini!)
  • SarahJurina
    Options
    Awesome! I have started doing easier cardio and more weight lifting and strength training. I totally am doing the same thing you did - transitioning away from heavy cardio. And I feel it's the right choice !!! :smiley:
  • dlajambe
    dlajambe Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had that same problem!! I spent hours doing a ton of cardio and I still didn't like the way my body looked. I was definitely skinny fat! But as soon as I added strength training at least 3x a week I looked way more toned in almost 2-3 weeks!
  • SarahJurina
    Options
    Ah that is great to hear. I will be looking forward to that!!!!!