My app is double logging exercise...normal?

Options
tinakowalik
tinakowalik Posts: 73 Member
On most days when I got to my workouts, every exercise is recorded twice. Some days not...but not many. Why is it doing that? Also is fitbit transferring calories burned throughout workouts to MFP, or just activity. My numbers don't Match up with a recorded workout and what us transfered over to MFP. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Mine is doing it too.
    But the double isn't showing up on MFP nor affecting the calories burned.
    Just showing up double under "track your exercise"

I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it and it's been fine for the last few days
  • tinakowalik
    Options
    I'll try that!
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Fitbit sends total calories burned (including BMR, regular activity, and exercise) to MFP. MFP compares that number to what it expects you to have burned so far that day (based on the activity level you chose) and the difference is credited as your "Fitbit Calorie Adjustment". You should have negative calorie adjustments enabled in MFP.

Read the FAQ: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy/p1

That will give a thorough explanation of how it all works. Most of the Fitbit users here recommend using the Fitbit app/site to log all exercise, including non-step based exercise, rather than MFP.
  • tinakowalik
    Options
    Thank you!
  • tinakowalik
    Options
    Re -installing worked for dbl log
  • GabinkaP
    GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I get double logs in Track Your Exercise. I also find that it's hard to delete things (like when I forget to stop DriveBit and it records way too much driving). I can delete them and then a few hours later they're back.
  • Patsalmer
    Patsalmer Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Same happened to me...as well as not recording the actuall amount of distance, i had done one day, then later it added it.. Thanks for asking this, thought of asking but got busy and forgot..i will try resetting as well..
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    On most days when I go to my workouts, every exercise is recorded twice. Some days not...but not many. myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settingsWhy is it doing that?

Also is fitbit transferring calories burned throughout workouts to MFP, or just activity. My numbers don't match up with a recorded workout and what is transfered over to MFP.

1. I've logged my exercise for two years in Fitbit (never MFP), and it's never appeared twice. Are you following the instructions at https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/How-do-I-log-or-record-an-activity/

2. Your Fitbit burn is TDEE, the number of calories necessary to maintain your current weight. Fitbit sends your burn to MFP, which calculates what your burn will be at 11:59 p.m. Adjustments are the difference between that projection and your MFP activity level. Click on any adjustment to see that math MFP used to calculate it. And be sure to enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    55dw3bioauus.png
    This is what was happening to me.
    I just updated the app today and the double log is there.
    it doesn't affect my burn on MFP and never has. Just shows up twice, sometimes. It's not always there and it not always every activity
  • GabinkaP
    GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Same with me. I don't let it bother me. What bothers me is when I delete a log (usually where I forgot to stop the Drive bit) and it returns. For days.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    it doesn't affect my burn on MFP and never has. Just shows up twice, sometimes. It's not always there and it not always every activity

Exercise syncs both ways. MFP tells everyone to log exercise in MFP because they want page views. There's no need to log any step-based activity—your Fitbit is tracking it for you. (Way more accurately, too.) Log non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) either in Fitbit (that's what I do) or in MFP—never both.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    55dw3bioauus.png

That is screwed up then, and incorrect.

Someone else reported the same issue awhile back. They'd log one workout in the app, and 4-5 would appear in the account records.
    At least on Fitbit's side, they get the same duplicate workout and figure it out.

But, since that calorie burn is on the MFP side, it would effect the numbers if truly doubled.

If the issue is displaying the workout multiple times, no issue except annoyance.
    If they actually are logging the workout multiple times, then they are likely do the math with the numbers, potentially big issue.

But check your web account, because the app has it's own server that must sync stuff to your account on different server. It could be purely on the app server and your app the issue appears, but the numbers for daily burn and eating goal coming from the account server are just fine.

But indeed as above says - you need to stop logging the step based exercise on MFP.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »

Exercise syncs both ways. MFP tells everyone to log exercise in MFP because they want page views. There's no need to log any step-based activity—your Fitbit is tracking it for you. (Way more accurately, too.) Log non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) either in Fitbit (that's what I do) or in MFP—never both.

I've never logged on Fitbit.
    And I log everything on MFP so I have a record of the activity.
    I don't care about the calories burned from either honestly.
    This duplication bothers me since I'm looking at my total hours worked out per week.

@heybales, It isn't consistently doubling the exercises. And it had stopped until I updated this morning.
  • heybales
    Options

This duplication bothers me since I'm looking at my total hours worked out per week.

@heybales, It isn't consistently doubling the exercises. And it had stopped until I updated this morning.

You don't care about the calories burned?
    Then why are you syncing Fitbit to MFP, since it brings no workouts over to MFP, only daily burn so MFP can improve it's math for eating goal.
    If you don't care, make this easier and unsync accounts - and let Fitbit be your increased activity prodder, and goal setter for steps.

Since logging everything on MFP, do you even take what Fitbit said the workout burned for you specifically - or still using the database on MFP?
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

You don't care about the calories burned?
    Then why are you syncing Fitbit to MFP, since it brings no workouts over to MFP, only daily burn so MFP can improve it's math for eating goal.
    If you don't care, make this easier and unsync accounts - and let Fitbit be your increased activity prodder, and goal setter for steps.

Since logging everything on MFP, do you even take what Fitbit said the workout burned for you specifically - or still using the database on MFP?

Haven't bothered unsync and deactivate my account here.
    I've been here long enough to know to not trust the mfp database, I use my Garmin where applicable and round down lifting and yoga.
    I don't log food so I don't about burns. Just looking at time per week. Don't care if this makes no sense to anyone else. Nor do I care to discuss this further.

This thread is about the double posting of exercise on the app, not my method of logging. I only posted a screenshot to see if this was in fact what the OP had happening as well
  • heybales
    Options
    Sorry, just was thinking it was really a non-issue with the way it's being used, and it indeed is.