Just got a Fitbit Zip and want to make sure I'm using right,setting up w/MFP etc ??

Options
Calif_Girl67
Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
Hello,
I am sure this question has been asked so forgive me for asking again! I just purchased the Fitbit Zip yesterday and today will be the very 1st day using it. Can someone tell me exactly what I need to add to MFP and what I need to add to the Fitbit sight such as food,exercise etc? I want to make sure I am doing it the right way for Fitbit Zip to work properly to my advantage. Thanks

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit

Enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings and set your goal to .5 lb. per week for every 25 lbs. you're overweight. Set your activity level to sedentary for now.

Log food & drink (including water) in MFP. No need to log any step-based exercise—your Fitbit is tracking it for you. Log non-step exercise (like swimming or biking) either in Fitbit (that's what I do) or in MFP—never both. If you want your Fitbit stats to appear in your MFP newsfeed, post a status update.

Ignore your Fitbit calorie goal and follow MFP's, eating back your adjustments.
  • Calif_Girl67
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi,
    I have the settings like you suggest except .5lb per week. I have that set to 1.5lb, is that not ok using the fitbit zip? How do I do the status update?
    Today is the 1st full day I have had it and right now in mfp under exercise it says I have earned 135 extra calories for today. Thanks
  • editorgrrl
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi,
    I have the settings like you suggest except .5lb per week. I have that set to 1.5lb, is that not ok using the fitbit zip? How do I do the status update?
    Today is the 1st full day I have had it and right now in mfp under exercise it says I have earned 135 extra calories for today. Thanks

1.5 lb. per week is an appropriate goal if you're 75 lbs. overweight.

To post a status update in the app, touch the + at the bottom of the screen, then choose "status." On the website, type in the box that says "What's on your mind?"

A 135-calorie adjustment means you've burned 135 calories more than your MFP activity level. You can click on the adjustment to see the math MFP used to calculate it.
  • Calif_Girl67
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Ok you have lost me, In which app do I touch the + on what screen? I am 40 pounds overweight so what should I set to?

Also, will the fitbit zip re-start with 0 everyday or does it just keep going? Thanks
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Forget about status updates for now.

If you're 40 lbs. overweight, set your goal no higher than 1 lb. per week. After you lose 15 lbs., set your goal to .5 lb. per week.

Every day, Fitbit sends your burn to MFP, and MFP adjusts your calories accordingly. Yes, your steps & burn reset to zero at midnight.
  • Calif_Girl67
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Figured status out, re-added app it cell.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Read the FAQ - questions 1-3 carefully.