Bad day, support me getting back on track!

Options
SlimBride2Be
SlimBride2Be Posts: 315 Member
Came home yesterday and ate about 1500 calories in a mad moment - was starving and close to tears with hunger. That day I'd had about 1000 cals in good food - BPC, eggs, smoked salmon and nuts so I have no idea what went wrong.

My mad moment food was a HUGE Caesar salad and a bag of macadamia nuts - but it was a lot.

Today I got on the scale and was up 3.5lbs so I need to get back on track fast.

My plan today is to eat light and LCHF - I'm thinking plain coffee till 11 (I'm still stuffed from last night) then a boiled egg or two, a mid afternoon meal of salad and chicken maybe and then a light dinner - soup and meaty salad perhaps. I will struggle to do all my steps today as we have a 4 hour drive this afternoon so I will eat to my 1200 cals and no more.

I need a really good day to get back on a roll!

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Just have a regular day! Cutting back too much is likely to set you up for another binge.

Nutritionally, you could have done a lot worse than a Caesar salad and macadamia nuts- it's not like you didn't get anything for it.
  • 35in90
    35in90 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    at least you ate the right stuff!! don't get down on yourself; you're doing so well. and your plan sounds spot on.
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    You are cutting calories quite hard for being fairly close to maintenance. I'm sure that weight will budge quickly, it's likely just water weight and the volume of what you ate that hasn't been excreted yet. Give it a few days of your normal eating and I bet you'll be back on track.
  • SlimBride2Be
    Options
    Thank you! I am beginning to think that 1200 a day might not be enough now that I don't have a huge amount of reserves to draw on! I might go to 1lb a week now and have 1450 a day which would be a substantial afternoon snack to power me through...
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan. You have so much time that taking two or three weeks to try out the new calorie level to see how you do might be a great idea.
  • SlimBride2Be
    Options
    I just changed it and 1lb a week is only 1360 calories! But that just goes to show how close I am now that the minimum of 1200 cals wouldn't get me near to a 2lb a week loss! So no point suffering at that low a level for not much result.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Just a thought

When you see a fluctuation on the scale after a splurge, don't panic.

Your body may store some glycogen from any extra carbs, maybe you are more nuts that are salty, and pop on a few pounds of instant water. Or the most basic reason, you are full of the food and need to go to the bathroom and lose some waste weight.

I lift hard two days a week. After leg day when my legs are pumped and sore.... I easily weigh 4 pounds more.

So don't worry about a slip too much. It is just one meal and you know how to do the right thing long term

It will be ok

Rock on

Have a great Friday!!
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I have found that having a really high calorie day every once in awhile keeps me from stalling. My body is probably like WTH?? and this is a good thing-- keeps the ole' bod guessing!
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Right on Prof, my body weight can fluctuate up to 5 pounds in a day.

OP, remember, go for the trend. Keep on keepin' on!

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    It's a really great moment when you realize that your "went off the rails" days still are limited to keto-friendly foods. Cut yourself some slack! That extra weight isn't fat, no way that happens overnight, so you just drink lots of water today, stick to your calories/macros, maybe avoid carbs as much as you can today, and you'll probably see that disappear. Trick will be that it's now the weekend, and we all seem to struggle sticking with the routine when we are home more. Keep yourself busy so you don't get snacky!

I assume you binged when you got home because of some stress, so I hope you have an awesome and relaxing day today! Maybe you could go get a quick chair massage at lunch?
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    It is never as bad as it seems in the moment. Assuming all the CICO math was right (it's not), you've set yourself back like 700 calories. I think I read that nut calories tend to be higher than actual because it takes a lot of energy to digest them. It's actually even less because your body loses energy in the attempt to store excess. It could end up storing less than 500 calories of that excess, if any. That's balanced out with one or two days on track.

But, more importantly, you never know what your body did with that energy. You may have needed some extra fuel to fight off an infection you didn't know you had. You may have needed a bit more to rebuild some muscle that you've been working hard lately. You just can't know for sure. Trust your body. And, even the worst case scenario isn't even that bad.
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    That happened to me too!