can you eat too much butter?

Options
I have been doing 2 to 3 cups a day bulletproof coffee while intermediate fasting. it seems like a lot. I'm going through almost 2 sticks of Kerrygold grass fed butter a week. I don't go over calories and I stay within my macros. it's probably mind over matter but I just wanted to make sure you can't overdo butter?

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    As long as your calories are fine, and you feel fine, roll with it.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of anyone checking into a hospital due to an overdose of butter. :)
  • winninglosing43
    winninglosing43 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Haha that's true!! Just blew my mind this morning as I used the last of another stick of butter I just bought on tuesday!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If I were you I would consider periodically monitoring cholesterol levels as a precaution.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have been doing 2 to 3 cups a day bulletproof coffee while intermediate fasting. it seems like a lot. I'm going through almost 2 sticks of Kerrygold grass fed butter a week. I don't go over calories and I stay within my macros. it's probably mind over matter but I just wanted to make sure you can't overdo butter?

Do you mean you drink BPC when you are not on your intermittent fasting? Because obviously you wouldnt be fasting whilst consuming BPC. I know its a drink but its energy dense. During IF you should only be drinking water. Sorry if i misunderstood - ive only recently switched to keto and its fogged up my brain.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The original formula of BPC is designed specifically for intermittent fasting. While it has more calories, it is designed to have less glycemic impact. Avoiding carbs and protein in it is key.
  • SideSteel
    edited June 2015
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    The original formula of BPC is designed specifically for intermittent fasting. While it has more calories, it is designed to have less glycemic impact. Avoiding carbs and protein in it is key.

The original BPC was a nonsense "life hack" from Dave Asprey.

It's not intermittent fasting if you're ingesting calories.

Edit: lol typo
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

That kind of depends on how you define the fasted state. If you go by the strict "nothing but water," then obviously it's not IF at that point. However, if you go by intake-induced insulin levels (and other hormonal changes, ketones, etc), then BPC still keeps you in that state.

The original idea behind BPC was to get the benefits of the hormonal changes from IF (which get blunted when either protein or carbs are ingested), while providing fuel for various activities. For that, as far as I understand it, BPC serves its purpose. If other people use it for other things and make other claims, that's not really Asprey's fault (and he's known to not endorse anything as official "Bulletproof Coffee" if it's not using ingredients comparable to the ones he recommends, so he's sure to shun any spurious claims about it).
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

That kind of depends on how you define the fasted state. If you go by the strict "nothing but water," then obviously it's not IF at that point. However, if you go by intake-induced insulin levels (and other hormonal changes, ketones, etc), then BPC still keeps you in that state.

The original idea behind BPC was to get the benefits of the hormonal changes from IF (which get blunted when either protein or carbs are ingested), while providing fuel for various activities. For that, as far as I understand it, BPC serves its purpose. If other people use it for other things and make other claims, that's not really Asprey's fault (and he's known to not endorse anything as official "Bulletproof Coffee" if it's not using ingredients comparable to the ones he recommends, so he's sure to shun any spurious claims about it).

I personally find him to be a marketer and supplement shill, so my view of this might be tainted by that. If he's only calling BP coffee the stuff that he sells I'd wager that's primarily for his wallet.

• SideSteel
    Options

For what it's worth, I also find his original claims to be dubious as well. It really seems to me like the vast majority of people who are using BP coffee are not doing it because of any attempt at hormonal balancing or providing energy for activity -- they're doing it for weight loss with the assumption that BP coffee is the thing that will help them with that.

I wouldn't say that it can't help -- if someone enjoys it and it genuinely blunts hunger and makes the diet easier to adhere to AND they get monitored to make sure health markers aren't declining, then it's probably fine. But I suspect there are a lot of people using BP coffee who:

a) Don't need 450+ calories of pure fat for fueling activity.
    b) Would experience greater adherence and greater overall nutrient density by replacing BP coffee with a caloric equivalent of something else, even if that something else is primarily fat.

I really think Asprey has suckered people into a potentially detrimental habit.
  • baconslave
    Options

For what it's worth, I also find his original claims to be dubious as well. It really seems to me like the vast majority of people who are using BP coffee are not doing it because of any attempt at hormonal balancing or providing energy for activity -- they're doing it for weight loss with the assumption that BP coffee is the thing that will help them with that.

I wouldn't say that it can't help -- if someone enjoys it and it genuinely blunts hunger and makes the diet easier to adhere to AND they get monitored to make sure health markers aren't declining, then it's probably fine. But I suspect there are a lot of people using BP coffee who:

b) Would experience greater adherence and greater overall nutrient density by replacing BP coffee with a caloric equivalent of something else, even if that something else is primarily fat.

Detrimental how? If by drinking your calories, then I can't disagree. I never did butter, ew, but I used to do coconut oil. However, as I began to approach goal weight, I quit using as it made keeping calories reasonable a problem. I began to prefer to eat my calories. I'll be adding it back in maintenance, but it's just not worth it to me 10lb from goal. Someone not tracking calories could easily be nudged too far north calorie-wise if they aren't careful.
  • SideSteel
    edited June 2015
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Detrimental how? If by drinking your calories, then I can't disagree. I never did butter, ew, but I used to do coconut oil. However, as I began to approach goal weight, I quit using as it made keeping calories reasonable a problem. I began to prefer to eat my calories. I'll be adding it back in maintenance, but it's just not worth it to me 10lb from goal. Someone not tracking calories could easily be nudged too far north calorie-wise if they aren't careful.

I think it has the potential to be detrimental because I'd speculate that most people could get better satiety from food sources. It has the potential to be detrimental because it's high energy and very low nutrients. Now obviously total daily nutrition is what's fundamentally important and it's possible for people to get adequate micronutrients through the remainder of their diet but I'd suspect that many people are possibly replacing breakfast with BP coffee which wouldn't be advisable for most. Then finally I'd still consider getting regular bloodwork done just to be damn sure that there aren't any health effects. I mentioned this in another thread and this is anecdote but both Dr Spencer and his brother Kasey Nadolsky have seen independent cases of clients who began BP coffee and had horrible results on their apo-B.

Another valid point is that while fat HAS been improperly implicated in the past, we don't have data on what happens when you give someone the types of fat dosing in BP coffee in liquid form. I would think from a common sense standpoint, if this represents an extreme change in diet it would warrant some caution.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options

BPC alone certainly won't help with weight loss (it may or may not impede one's efforts, but it's not a magic bullet), though I would argue that those who make that assumption when it's removed from the greater context of a LCHF eating plan (whether it's Asprey's, specifically, or not) are as misguided as those who take the "coconut oil aids in weight loss" thing out of context (there are actually a couple of studies that show that coconut oil can aid in weight loss, but there's more to it than adding coconut oil to an existing crap way of eating).

Did you ever get a chance to see the page he used to have, that had all his research for the foundation of his dietary recommendations? Unfortunately, he has gone down a little too far down the money path, even for my tastes, and it doesn't seem to be up anymore, but even if you don't agree with his assertions, the foundation of it wasn't just pulled out of thin air (which is arguably better than some justifications for some other dietary recommendations I've seen). It's a shame he took it down, it was quite interesting to read. When i have more time, I might poke the Wayback Machine and see if I can dig up an archived copy.

I personally find him to be a marketer and supplement shill, so my view of this might be tainted by that. If he's only calling BP coffee the stuff that he sells I'd wager that's primarily for his wallet.

He didn't used to be so bad. Unfortunately, now, I don't entirely disagree. It saddens me that he put a lot of his cooler, previously free resources behind a paywall (I don't entirely blame him -- his awesome "food rating scale" infographics were pretty blatantly ripped off).

I'm all for people trying to make some money off their ideas (they've got to eat and keep the site up, too), but there is a line, and when you cross it, it does start looking like all you're doing is selling your own stuff instead of spreading information.
  • SideSteel
    edited June 2015
    Options

BPC alone certainly won't help with weight loss (it may or may not impede one's efforts, but it's not a magic bullet), though I would argue that those who make that assumption when it's removed from the greater context of a LCHF eating plan (whether it's Asprey's, specifically, or not) are as misguided as those who take the "coconut oil aids in weight loss" thing out of context (there are actually a couple of studies that show that coconut oil can aid in weight loss, but there's more to it than adding coconut oil to an existing crap way of eating).

Did you ever get a chance to see the page he used to have, that had all his research for the foundation of his dietary recommendations? Unfortunately, he has gone down a little too far down the money path, even for my tastes, and it doesn't seem to be up anymore, but even if you don't agree with his assertions, the foundation of it wasn't just pulled out of thin air (which is arguably better than some justifications for some other dietary recommendations I've seen). It's a shame he took it down, it was quite interesting to read. When i have more time, I might poke the Wayback Machine and see if I can dig up an archived copy.

He didn't used to be so bad. Unfortunately, now, I don't entirely disagree. It saddens me that he put a lot of his cooler, previously free resources behind a paywall (I don't entirely blame him -- his awesome "food rating scale" infographics were pretty blatantly ripped off).

I'm all for people trying to make some money off their ideas (they've got to eat and keep the site up, too), but there is a line, and when you cross it, it does start looking like all you're doing is selling your own stuff instead of spreading information.

I'd be curious to see what you come up with as far as the resources he uses and the recommendations he makes based on it.

I recall Alan posting a few of Asprey's assertions and papers in an issue of AARR about a year ago or so, where he picked it apart pretty good. I'd have to go back and re-read it though to familiarize myself with the data. IIRC it was a study attempting to link mycotoxins in regular coffee to all sorts of evil and MCT oil to immortality =)

I could be exaggerating a bit there.

EDIT: When I say "papers" I mean references that Asprey posted to justify his claims.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Also just one quick thing that I'd throw in with regards to satiety that I think is important to mention to the OP.

If you consider the calorie and fat content of the BP coffee that you're drinking AND assuming (please correct me if this assumption is wrong) your goal is sustainable fat loss, I'd look at it this way:

Are there food sources that I could eat at that calorie cost that would provide me with greater satiety and happiness without causing me any detrimental issues?

So while it's not entirely equivalent, bacon and eggs would certainly make a lot of people way happier than coffee with oil and butter in it and I would imagine you'll get greater satiety out of that too.

• Dragonwolf
    Options
    @SideSteel Oh, speaking of snake oil stuff, have you ever seen this nifty chart? http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/play/snake-oil-supplements/

Last I knew, the data driving it is put in by hand (seriously, it's a spreadsheet), but it's a pretty cool illustration, nonetheless.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    @winninglosing43 are you eating enough other foods as well? I wouldn't be able to fit that many cups into my calorie goal for the day without cutting out other solid foods. I agree with @sidesteel to have frequent blood work to make sure that much fat isn't causing you harm.

Something I found recently: I have been drinking bpc for breakfast because it is quick, easy and tastes great, and I'm full till lunch. I also add a scoop of protein powder to mine since I have trouble reaching my protein goals daily. I love how the coffee turns into a creamy cappuccino like drink when making it. What I found yesterday though was if you blend coffee it does that without adding anything to it, so the fat isn't actually necessary to get that creamy consistency. So yesterday I made an iced blended coffee with just the protein powder and it was like a mocha frappucino, delicious!

I still did the butter and coconut oil today and probably will do in the future because it takes some of the sweetness away and adds fat that I don't get elsewhere in my diet, expect on weekends when I swap it for bacon and eggs.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    @SideSteel Oh, speaking of snake oil stuff, have you ever seen this nifty chart? http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/play/snake-oil-supplements/

Last I knew, the data driving it is put in by hand (seriously, it's a spreadsheet), but it's a pretty cool illustration, nonetheless.

New to me, will bookmark and take a closer look. Certainly interesting at a glance.

Thanks!
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Something I found recently: I have been drinking bpc for breakfast because it is quick, easy and tastes great, and I'm full till lunch. I also add a scoop of protein powder to mine since I have trouble reaching my protein goals daily. I love how the coffee turns into a creamy cappuccino like drink when making it. What I found yesterday though was if you blend coffee it does that without adding anything to it, so the fat isn't actually necessary to get that creamy consistency. So yesterday I made an iced blended coffee with just the protein powder and it was like a mocha frappucino, delicious

Blarg. I hate how foamy mine gets when I mix it. Blech.
  • baconslave
    Options
    Yeah, that's what keeps me from putting my protein powder in the coffee...foam...blurgh. Of course I could just do a mocha smoothy...but like my coffee warm.