Different intake on fitbit and mfp

Options
jf3334
jf3334 Posts: 20 Member
I have logged all my food for the day and the intake on my fitbit and mfp are different by about 30 calories. They are the same time zone and I just synced both. Any ideas?

Replies

• GabinkaP
    GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Mine is off, but only by 3 calories. MFP says 608 (it's afternoon here) and Fitbit says 611. By my own calculations, Fitbit is right. (I keep a spreadsheet and mine presently says 611.5 calories eaten.)
  • jf3334
    jf3334 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why the fitbit would have anything different though - I don't log food on there, so shouldn't it just take the number from mfp?
  • GabinkaP
    GabinkaP Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Me neither. I only log on my spreadsheet and MyFitnessPal. So FitBit gets it from MFP. So I don't know why it's any different at all, unless it's getting the separate foods from MFP and putting its own calories on them.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Ignore your Fitbit calorie goal and follow MFP's, eating back your adjustments.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    My guess is that Fitbit calculates calories from the carb, protein and fat numbers that MFP sends, rather than taking the calories from MFP info directly. This could result in rounding differences between the two programs. Being off by 30 calories seems high for that, though, so - if you care about what Fitbit is saying regarding calories - then compare the calories for each meal. Occasionally, I get two entries in Fitbit for the same meal (when I've edited the meal in MFP) and I just delete the one that is wrong.

Mostly, though, I do what editorgrrl says - I go by MFP's calorie goal and only casually look at what Fitbit indicates.
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It could depend on rounding etc. MFP records nutrient info with decimal places, but always displays it rounded to the nearest number. The meal summary that MFP sends over to Fitbit probably uses these rounded figures. That's just a guess though...
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    Ignore your Fitbit calorie goal and follow MFP's, eating back your adjustments.

^^^^^ This. Fitbit food database is not as good as MFP's either, so just use MFP for your food tracking.