How's your life?

Options
1Ginabb
1Ginabb Posts: 77 Member
Hi everyone, as many have stated forming bonds and friendships while dieting will increase your chances of success. I have added many of you to my list and I enjoy seeing your exercise, food and weight loss updates...but I sure would like to know how you're "REALLY" doing. I'll go first:
Well, the daughter is now 19 and in community college, she announced last week she has chosen her 4 year school of choice. It's 2 hours away and is know as the 'party school' for the state. She is an only child and has always been a perfect kid. Doesn't drink, do drugs, grades were great...so I know I shouldn't worry..but. My mother-in-law will be moving in tonight. She has always 'loved' me so much....sarcasm. My hubby will enjoy cooking for her (nothing ever pleases her) .....I will be eating NS. ahhahahaha. Anyways, as you can see with all that's going on...and trying to diet too. wow. So....I am sure I'm not the only person who needs to vent....let it go. We're all here to cheer you on and support you.

Replies

• Nightingale2200
    Nightingale2200 Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Goodness, Gina. You do have a lot on your plate and your mind. I know exactly what you mean about those kiddos leaving "on their own" like that. It was very hard. I had to not dwell on it knowing I had raised them "right" and prayed they would make good choices. Hang in there.

As far as the other stress in your life, glad you won't have to do the cooking. Hoping that that arrangement will be better then what you anticipate. :)

As for me, I am doing pretty good on NS. Down a little over 27 pounds now and moving every single day which is going from zero to brisk walking. I feel a lot better. I am diabetic and my labs have improved. I still have some health issues to work out, but overall, my refined eating plan (that's what I call it) has truly been the best thing for me.

My children now live far away and this July and August, I will be traveling to see the youngest one and my 3 grands. I cannot wait. I will be in much better shape to babysit and laugh and play games and spoil them ROTTEN. I look forward to it.

Thank you for starting this discussion. I follow you, too, and only hope for great things to happen to you!!
  • Whosebeeping
    Whosebeeping Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Well today was kind of stressful. Took my daughter(16) to the gym but decided I needed a little alone time. See husband works from home and he was also going out. It is rare for me to get alone time these days so I went back home. Shortly after being back I got a call from the gym and my daughter had almost passed out. So back up to the gym I went with some food. Because she was also suppose to work an 8 hour lifeguard shift. Her trainer said she couldn't lift weights like normal. And then said she was feeling like she was going down. Anyhow she felt better but now I am concerned because last week she was complaining about being really thirsty. She drinks water for the most part. Last time she had her blood pressure checked the doctor said it was low. Geez. She ate breakfast before she went to the gym. And drank water. She worked her shift and said she is fine but idk. She eats really healthy for the most part better than most teenagers.

Monday my husband leaves for 5 days for business and I will get plenty of alone time lol. It's feast or famine around here.
  • Nightingale2200
    Options
    Yeah, that would make me stressed, too, L.

So, you are taking her back to the doctor, yes?

Yeah, my husband leaves on hiking trips and that gives me time to "bach it". :)

Let us know how your daughter does ...
  • bugfrogmom
    bugfrogmom Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Gina! Thanks for this question and for the update about yourself to break the ice for us. I have gained a few pounds back since the NS blogs shut down and I went on a vacation. It was a tough vacation full of temtation, but it was a lot of fun for the most part, too. My family and I were visiting the in-laws in Missouri. They wanted to eat out at every turn (mostly buffets), and there was lots of alcohol available. I did a little of both. Now I am struggling to get back to 80 lbs. gone. I'm at 77 lbs. today. The level of stress in my immediate family remains high, largely due to my husband. For instance, he blew up at me early this morning because my youngest son does not want to have a birthday party this year (he says he hates being the center of attention and would prefer to have just one or two friends over at the house). I totally get that and I'm fine with it, but my husband thinks we NEED to have a party. Then he turned on me and said I NEVER do anything to help him. What a crock o'*kitten*! Sorry if this is an overshare, but you asked! Thanks for reading!!!
  • Whosebeeping
    Options
    Geez think of the money saved with a small party. My husband would b so happy with that lol.
  • Whosebeeping
    Options
    I'm thinking over in my head what to do. She leaves Friday for Europe 8 day school trip to Paris and London. Dream trip. I'm thinking I should set something up for when she comes back. She is fine today.
  • 1Ginabb
    Options
    Thanks guys for the replies. Nightingale, that's my biggest fear...her moving far far away. I'm an only child who is the mother of an only child. I know I have to let her live her life...but can't it be in driving distance so I can baby sit my grandbabies one day? lol.
    Whosebeeping, wow...hope your daughter is doing better. I understand the private time stuff, my husband and I work together. We are both teachers at the same school...so our work stories are all the same, we ride together most days. So it's work together, home together. We have got really good about doing our own thing with friends. He has a good friend and they have a standing Fridaynight 'garage' date. They enjoy working on old cars and gossiping like girls. lol. I try to have a girls night out at least every couple weeks with a couple sets of ladies I know.
    Bugfrogmom, wow...my hubby has done the same thing with our daughter. She didn't want a party either. For years we have had large bday parties for each of us, with a large group of friends. (we are 4 families who have been friends with each other for years, our kids have grown up together) anyways, she said this year (19) she just wanted to go to her favorite restaurant with us and her boyfriend. He wanted the party, mainly because it was an excuse to have a big party with HIS friends. Husbands...gotta love em.
    BTW guys, my name is Gina. You guys can just refer to me as Gina. Are there any names we can use with you guys so we don't have to type out those long handles? lol.
  • 1Ginabb
    Options
    BTW, the mother-in-law has already started. We are having a get together tonight with our group. We do a Cajun shrimp boil every once in a while. I am fixing chicken fingers for the little ones....she wants us grill her a steak. I understand if she doesn't like the boil. Not everyone likes shrimp, but she eats junk like chicken fingers all the time...but she wants a ribeye or burgers. Now how would that look for us to invite folks over, grill a ribeye...but none for anyone else....and the kids love steaks. I just told her she could find something in the freezer, I wasn't getting the grill going and dirty for one steak....ugh. Yall please pray for me.
  • Nightingale2200
    Options
    bugfrogmom wrote: »
    Sorry if this is an overshare, but you asked! Thanks for reading!!!

Hi bugfrogmom,

I think this is exactly what Gina was wanting ... sharing our every day lives. I hope things calm down for you.

I'm thinking over in my head what to do. She leaves Friday for Europe 8 day school trip to Paris and London. Dream trip. I'm thinking I should set something up for when she comes back. She is fine today.

Glad she feels better today, L. Maybe she just got under her calorie intake, wasn't hydrated properly. Hope she thoroughly enjoys Europe!

1Ginabb wrote: »
    Thanks guys for the replies. Nightingale, that's my biggest fear...her moving far far away. I'm an only child who is the mother of an only child. I know I have to let her live her life...but can't it be in driving distance so I can baby sit my grandbabies one day? lol.
    Whosebeeping, wow...hope your daughter is doing better. I understand the private time stuff, my husband and I work together. We are both teachers at the same school...so our work stories are all the same, we ride together most days. So it's work together, home together. We have got really good about doing our own thing with friends. He has a good friend and they have a standing Fridaynight 'garage' date. They enjoy working on old cars and gossiping like girls. lol. I try to have a girls night out at least every couple weeks with a couple sets of ladies I know.
    Bugfrogmom, wow...my hubby has done the same thing with our daughter. She didn't want a party either. For years we have had large bday parties for each of us, with a large group of friends. (we are 4 families who have been friends with each other for years, our kids have grown up together) anyways, she said this year (19) she just wanted to go to her favorite restaurant with us and her boyfriend. He wanted the party, mainly because it was an excuse to have a big party with HIS friends. Husbands...gotta love em.
    BTW guys, my name is Gina. You guys can just refer to me as Gina. Are there any names we can use with you guys so we don't have to type out those long handles? lol.

I know. It's hard not having my children/grands close. I have to fly to one and that's not often. The other I can get to a little easier. But, the older I get, the harder it is on me driving.

Not a whole lot of people know this about me ... I am VERY directionally illiterate. LOL! Really ... so, driving can get challenging for me.

Maybe your daughter will choose not to move far away when she marries.

1Ginabb wrote: »
    BTW, the mother-in-law has already started. We are having a get together tonight with our group. We do a Cajun shrimp boil every once in a while. I am fixing chicken fingers for the little ones....she wants us grill her a steak. I understand if she doesn't like the boil. Not everyone likes shrimp, but she eats junk like chicken fingers all the time...but she wants a ribeye or burgers. Now how would that look for us to invite folks over, grill a ribeye...but none for anyone else....and the kids love steaks. I just told her she could find something in the freezer, I wasn't getting the grill going and dirty for one steak....ugh. Yall please pray for me.

Do not blame you in the least. I figure she will learn that she cannot manipulate you as time progresses. Glad you stood your ground, Gina.

And, I am Flo to everyone. Some call me Nighty and I kinda like that. :)