problems meeting iron goals

Options
nikipb1
nikipb1 Posts: 33 Member
Hi there, I'm quite good at hitting my macros targets but seem to always be low on iron. Can anyone give me some help how to incorporate this into my food more? I am finding it really hard even though I'm aware of it.

Replies

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Try eating organ meat if you can.... liver is very high in iron, but red meat in general has lot of it. Seafood is also a good option.
  • the_raptor
    the_raptor Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Kangaroo meat is a great red meat as its very lean, yet still packed with protein, iron, loads of potassium, and low sodium! Cacao is a great way to add iron as well as magnesium to your diet, and is low in sugar!
  • malovafarms
    malovafarms Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    desiccated liver tablets.. four a day
  • amykarryn1
    amykarryn1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Here's a link you might find helpful......by far, spinach has the highest iron content of practically any food...i use spinach to make my salads, i saute it in olive oil, i put it in my omelets, you can sneak it in soups....it's actually pretty versatile. I'm not vegan but i don't tend to eat red meat too often, and try to eat maybe 3 vegan dinners per week... http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.php
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I only eat meat once or twice a month and have loads of greens and mushrooms and I struggle also. I just accept it and take a vegan supplement or I'm knackered :)
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention I also keep a bar of 85% chocolate in my fridge and a little every day. This is why :)http://www.care2.com/greenliving/iron-dark-chocolate-contains-more-than-beef.html
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    I'm anemic and need to supplement. I take Iron Bisglycinate. The VA had given me two other forms of iron that were utterly useless. Fortunately, my housemate's complaints about the hair I was shedding all over the place prompted me to get my levels rechecked and to switch forms.