Milk?

Options
blairmundy
blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
Wondering what your doctors/nuts say about milk? I can't stomach the shakes/powder well and have trouble getting my protein and liquid in. No surprise there. So I've been drinking a few cups of milk a day. I'm at about 600 calories/day total nutrition, 4 months out. Everything is going very well. My Nut wants me to stop drinking milk. He says it is nothing but sugar. I feel like it is protein, liquid and calcium and that I need all those things and am struggling to get them. But he is adamant about no liquid calories except protein shakes.

I tried to go a few days without and just felt awful. Had trouble in my game, couldn't walk as fast or as far, really sleepy and lethargic. So far I've compromised by getting some Mootopia, which I can stomach well and seems to be between skim milk and a shake as far as numbers (it has twice as much protein as carbs).

Anyway, is my nut just very strict about this or do all of you get the no liquid calories thing too? Like the nutritional content is pretty much the same as yogurt but it's a no because it is a liquid. Anyway, I want to know if I am sabotaging myself by not listening to him or if I'm just listening to my body in a healthy way.

(Note: if/when I was not losing or the program wasn't working for me, I would cut it out. As of now, I still have to force it down... but at least it stays there.)

Replies

• badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    my nutritionist has no problem with my drinking milk. however, he only recommends that i drink fat-free, but even fat-free has protien in it
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    My doctor and nutritionist neither one have ever said no milk. Both however did tell me that after the first 2 months, they did not want me relying on protein shakes for my protein needs. They wanted me to eat my protein in the form of real food and protein shakes should only be used as the occasional meal replacement from then forward.
    Each doctor and/or nutritionist has their own rules and generally it is best to follow them within reason.

• JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    My plan allows for 2 cups of low-fat or skim milk a day. I was at 850 calories per day at 4 months out. And my doctor also wants us to eat protein and not drink it, but the 2 cups of milk is allowed. Milk does have sugar in the form of lactose but it is a natural sugar. My doctor allows us to have no more that 15 grams of sugar in a meal, milk has 9 grams per cup so figure that in when you eat. If you are losing and you feel you need the milk then don't go cold turkey in reducing it. I just wouldn't go over 2 cups a day.
  • jove102
    jove102 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Drink lactose free milk then...takes away the sugar
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    My doctor and nutritionist neither one have ever said no milk. Both however did tell me that after the first 2 months, they did not want me relying on protein shakes for my protein needs. They wanted me to eat my protein in the form of real food and protein shakes should only be used as the occasional meal replacement from then forward.
    Each doctor and/or nutritionist has their own rules and generally it is best to follow them within reason.

This for me too. For the past few weeks, I have been having shakes for breakfast in place of my usual yogurt. I mix my protein powder with 8 ounces of milk and 8 ounces of water. These are creamy flavors and I can't stand them mixed with just water. We will see what my nutritionist says next month. If you are having a hard time getting protein in with food, can you use Isopure flavored water between meals? This counts as water because it is but each bottle has about 40 grams of protein too. Might solve your problem.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I am not a milk drinker but my dietitian is fine with it. I do eat a lot of Greek yogurt. What does he think of the Fairlife milk? Less sugar and more protein (I am not familiar with the Mootopia) I know people that drink it because they don't like the protein drinks. Milk is not bad nutritionally and if it makes you feel good and you are losing then I don't think it is harming your progress. Once you are eating more, you may want to back off a little if you are drinking a lot.
  • blairmundy
    Options
    I do only drink skim and I never go over 2 cups a day and never drink it with food. I do my best to get food protein as well but am not doing well with meat. I can eat 1-2 oz of meat at a time and it is uncomfortable. I find I am only able to get enough food protein in by eating a significant amount of dairy. I can eat about 3oz of cooked fish or 4-5 oz of raw fish, so I do that a few times a week but I don't want to overdo the mecury. The isopure doesn't sit well with me. I do beans and peanut butter and stuff but I can't eat enough of that stuff to hit my goals. I've fallen into this trap where if I eat something that doesn't digest well it makes me really hate eating and avoid it. That's something I need to muscle through and just figure out, I know, but sometimes I need to be able to just get the calories and nutrients in without so much stress.

The mootopia is fat free, 90 cal, 6g sugar, 12g protein and 350mg calcium. I think if this was a solid my NUT would like it. He just is against it being a liquid. And I think at this point that sounds like it might be his quirk but not necessarily common practice. Thanks you guys, I feel better about this decision not necessarily being harmful or self-sabotage.
  • blairmundy
    Options
    Oh, also checked out the lactose free milk... it has more sugar than protein in almost every brand... am I looking at the wrong thing?
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the Lucerne (Safeway brand) Plus Protein fat free milk. It has 12g protein and 8g sugar per 8oz serving.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    My dietician has no problem with skim milk. I only make protein shakes with milk - can't stand them with water.
  • blairmundy
    Options
    I think Mootopia is the HEB version of Lucerne Plus Peotein. Same general numbers anyway. I wish I'd realized that stuff existed before.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,693 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk for protein shakes. It helped me get enough protein for 18 months. Just stopped having a shake a day only a few months ago.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I am ok to have 2 servings of dairy per day. I drink skim milk and I buy the Fairlife brand that has extra protein added to it.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of my protein through dairy--yogurt, cheese, and *some* milk although I don't drink milk plain. I'm still supposed to take my protein supplement in the form of a smoothie/shake every day, so I mix milk, coffee and a scoop of protein powder every morning for breakfast.

I'll be honest and say that I think that a lot of doctor's plans are rather arbitrary on the "how" you get your nutritional needs met. My doctor doesn't really want us eating bars, for instance. I use one now and again anyway, although I wouldn't say they were a staple (I eat one maybe once per week or less).

I still generally only eat 1-2 oz of meat at a time (with veggies or fruit and sometimes things like egg or cheese) because it makes me feel very full. I just eat multiple snacks to get all the protein I need in for the day (again--some doctors want you to only eat 3 meals a day with no snacks--there is no way I could meet my nutritional needs that way, unless every meal was a 30-g protein shake. Yuck!).
  • gardendoc
    gardendoc Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a milk drinker before my VSG. Try Fairlife, lower sugar, higher protein and Ca
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    My nutritionists are not only NOT against drinking skim milk; they encourage it. Any time I make a fruit smoothie with my Isopure, I always make it with skim milk. I'm just not a huge milk drinker outside of it being made with something, but I don't know why he or she would object as long as it's low in fat.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I don't even worry about the fat content. Lower fat equals higher sugar. I usually put 2% in my coffee...but I don't mind whole, either!