Food

Options
amovin21
amovin21 Posts: 42 Member
What are some of your favorite low-calorie meals and snacks?

Replies

• BevSmith0142
    BevSmith0142 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hmmm that's a good question. I'll have to give that some thought and get back on that. My problem is I just LOVE food! Haha ;)
  • cbrestensky
    cbrestensky Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love grilled chicken sandwiches. A 4 oz. Chicken breast is 120 calories. The buns I like are 150, but you can get better ones that are healthier. If I load it up with veggies, I don't even need condiments. Sometimes I add 2 percent cheese-45 calories. So total, it is 300 to 350 calories and leaves me feeling very full.
  • yavonne67
    yavonne67 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have just yesterday discovered those Laughing Cow spreadable cheese wedges. I bought the spicy pepper jack b/c I LOVE anything pepperjack-- and much to my surprise, I love it. It is nice too b/c it is pre-measured- 35 calories. You can have 13 wheat thins-- and it is a 165 cal snack. (130 + 35) That's not too bad, is it?? I don't know......
  • BevSmith0142
    Options
    I love the Laughing Cow cheeses too, but I haven't tried that flavour yet. I must keep a look out for it but they may not offer that in the UK. As a rule, I try to keep my snacks around 100 -150 calories, but if it works within your daily calorie allotment - I wouldn't worry.
  • amovin21
    Options
    @yavonne67 I haven't tried that flavor. I used to get the tomato basil or whatever it is and eat pretzels with it, yummo! I think a 165 cal snack isn't too bad considering it fills you up and isn't "dead" calories :)
  • tcesiunas
    tcesiunas Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    yavonne67 wrote: »
    I have just yesterday discovered those Laughing Cow spreadable cheese wedges. I bought the spicy pepper jack b/c I LOVE anything pepperjack-- and much to my surprise, I love it. It is nice too b/c it is pre-measured- 35 calories. You can have 13 wheat thins-- and it is a 165 cal snack. (130 + 35) That's not too bad, is it?? I don't know......

I LOVE the laughing cow cheeses too! I am a visual eater so I would choose two Quaker Tomato Basil rice cakes and split the cheese over the two. It is pretty and tastes great but most importantly for me the two larger rice cakes are only 100 calories and I feel like I'm eating something pretty large when really it's low cal. 135 or 165 or 205 it's all about your preference and daily overall calories and keeping on or under them satisfied!
  • CaitlynnCarson
    CaitlynnCarson Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I enjoy pickles and/or cucumbers. NO calories at all. But you gotta watch the sodium on the pickles! I also very much enjoy the Belvita 4 pack cookies. Theyre a little over 200 calories for 4 cookies so i normally eat 2 cookies. Theyre big and taste very sweet. And if i crave chocolate I drink a chocolate weight loss shake. Mine are equate brand (compared to slim fast) only 190 calories.
  • amovin21
    Options
    @CaitlynnCarson I am very bad with pickles and because the sodium is so high I try to stay away from them or else I bloat :( I do love me some cucumbers though! I haven't seen the Belvita cookies, may have to look for them next time I'm at the grocery store!
  • stellagracr
    stellagracr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Tonight I made the best thing. Slice eggplant into planks, bake @425 x 5 minutes per side; top with marinara sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake another 10 minutes. So good.
  • CaitlynnCarson
    CaitlynnCarson Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    @amovin21 The Belvita cookies are in the snack/ ship isle and also the breakfast isle in walmart. When I looked at them, I found blueberry, Cinnamon brown sugar and one other kind I cant remember. The calories are all the same but believe it or not the cinnamon brown sugar had less actual sugar than the others so I eat those. They are delicious! They area actually breakfast cookies.
  • ErinCMDonohue
    ErinCMDonohue Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the Belvita! They also have chocolate ones. I'll eat half of a serving and it curbs my need for sweet, crunchy and chocolate! Good stuff!
  • BevSmith0142
    Options
    I wonder if they will have these on offer at Asda in the UK. Asda is Walmart here, so I'll have to check out these breakfast cookies the next time I am there. Sometimes you do crave something sweet and it would be really nice to have something low calorie and filling on hand.
  • GinetteMac
    GinetteMac Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Tonight I made the best thing. Slice eggplant into planks, bake @425 x 5 minutes per side; top with marinara sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake another 10 minutes. So good.

I just bought an eggplant the other night, I make egg plant parmesan and it's yummy, I don't even miss the meat in it, (can make it into a lasagna style as well.) just make sure that you peel your eggplant or the skin can be bitter, and slice it into a 1/4 inch slice, and then salt them both sides and let them drain, the salt drains alot of the liquid out so they don't make everything soggy after about 30 minutes, I rinse them as you don't want that salt on it, dip in egg and then bread crumbs and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, take out and put marinara or spaghetti sauce at the bottom of the pan, layer them on top, put more sauce and cover with cheese. Oh goodness it was so good, I made this for company and there was non left and only one guest was vegetarian!
  • BevSmith0142
    Options
    I am not keen on eggplant myself but I did notice a zucchini lasagna recipe the other day. I am going to have to find it again and give that a try soon. If I find the recipe I'll provide a link for us.
  • cbrestensky
    cbrestensky Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have been eating huge salads since Sunday's Father's Day celebration. I think I am the only one in my family that ate a salad Sunday. I kept the lettuce in a separate bowl and all the other veggies in a divided container so all the picky people could put on just what they like. I have been loving getting all my salad stuff out in 1 container-how quick and convenient it is making dinner for me. I think this container is going to stay in the fridge and be refilled every week with healthy, prepared veggies. I love anything that makes a hectic dinner time healthier and easier.
  • BevSmith0142
    Options
    I love salads too and I think that's a wonderful idea! I just had the Zucchini Lasagna for lunch. It was delicious and even better I was able to give myself a very generous portion for 470 calories. NICE! I can honestly say, I didn't miss the pasta either. This recipe is a keeper and I will certainly make it again. I have two more portions that I can eat throughout the week. YUM!

• Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    In summer salad is my go to food! Love it in so many different forms.
  • melbabe75
    melbabe75 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love salads too and I think that's a wonderful idea! I just had the Zucchini Lasagna for lunch. It was delicious and even better I was able to give myself a very generous portion for 470 calories. NICE! I can honestly say, I didn't miss the pasta either. This recipe is a keeper and I will certainly make it again. I have two more portions that I can eat throughout the week. YUM!
    can you share the recipe?

• BevSmith0142
    Options
    Zucchini Lasagna

0.50 tsp(s), Spices, pepper, black
    2.00 tbsp(s), Parsley, fresh
    0.25 cup(s), Cheese, parmesan, grated
    3.00 oz, Cheese, mozzarella, part skim milk
    250.00 g, Scotch Beef Extra Lean Steak Mince
    500.00 g, Tomato Pasta Sauce With Chunky Vegetables
    1.00 tsp, leaves, Spices, basil, dried
    1.00 tsp(s), Spices, oregano, dried
    1.00 tbsp, Parsley, fresh
    1.00 large, Egg, whole, raw, fresh
    1.00 container (200 gs ea.), Goldessa Cottage Cheese 200g Pot
    0.50 cup, Celery Raw, 1 Long Stalk (1/2 Cup Chopped)
    3.00 ounce, Cremini, Raw
    2.00 clove (4g), Peeled Garlic Cloves - Raw
    1.50 medium zucchini (courgettes) ( 196g approx), Generic

I used a mandolin to cut fine slices of zucchini - they will be your pasta noodles.
    In a large skillet saute chopped onion, celery, garlic, and mushrooms until softenedin 1 tsp EVOO. Then add in ground beef, basil, oregano, parsley and stir till cooked through. Add in pasta sauce and simmer gently.

In a bowl combine cottage cheese, egg, parmesan cheese, parsley and pepper and set aside.

I used a glass ovenware medium lasagna dish to bake this in the oven.
    In bottom of dish spoon out a small amount of sauce and spread it on the bottom. Next add half of the slice zucchini and layer snugly together on the bottom, then 1/2 of the cheese mixture, 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese and then half the sauce, repeat with second half of zucchini, cheese mixture, 1/3 mozzarella and remaining sauce. Too with last of mozzarella and bake in the oven at 375 degrees for approx 40 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes. I/3 portion is equal to 470 calories. I did add just a little extra mozzarella cheese on the top - about 2 tbs extra. Enjoy.
  • melbabe75
    melbabe75 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you