Starting today... Any tips!

Options
zunizuni
zunizuni Posts: 2 Member
Hi all, in a desperate bid to lose weight I am starting the 5:2 today. It's going to be so hard and I have tried this before and failed... Any tips to stay full on dust?

Replies

• clairejeynes84
    clairejeynes84 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think it's different for everyone! I drink a lot of green and black tea which helps, lots of water too! But be smart with your food! Know what calories are in what foods. Most berries are low calories so I usually have some available for a quick snack if I can't bare the hunger. I've found I get used to it too, and distraction helps, throw yourself into doing something that's stimulating and keep going. Remember that hunger comes in waves, so you'll have bursts of being hungry then it will subside for a while. I also like to save most of my calories for dinner, that way I'm fuller at bed time, rather than during the day.
    Good luck and keep going!
  • zunizuni
    zunizuni Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! Have taken your advice and so far drinking water and tea, and you're right the hunger pangs come in bursts.
    I've decided to save most calories for dinner tonight as that's when I tend to over-indulge so probably when I'll be at my weakest. Only 12 hours to get through! X
  • snaps27
    snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Welcome to the group! You have found great group of people. Check out our weekly post...most of us check in there and support each other. With a bit of trial and error you will find what's best for you. For me, my fasts are made up of tea or coffee until dinner time where I spend my 500cals (if I eat before then I wake the 'beast' ;) )
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Don't focus on what you can't do - try to focus on how much better you will feel tomorrow. Visualize how great you'll look in your new clothes. I also find it easier if I drink a lot of liquids during the day. I keep protein drinks around too just in case......they usually fill me up and help me maintain. My favorite is Premier Chocolate that I get at Sams. 160 calories and tastes like a Yoohoo....I've also found that if I don't eat well the day before I fast I'm much hungrier on fast days. Get those calories in the day before!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Also check out the links and information in the pinned post. That will help you get started.

One rule only.....about 500 cals on a fast day...the rest is your choice and every one has to find what is best for them. When you fast., how you split / spend your cals, if you count cals on normal days,if and what you exercise etc.

Lean protein and watery veggies, water, hot tea, bouillon, lemon juice. ...those are my friends on fast days. Grain carbs make me hungry, so I avoid them on fasts.

At the end of the day it's a question of mind set, if your fast is successful or not, easy or hard. And your mind set varies....so do fast days :)
  • kcd1961
    kcd1961 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Start
  • naxeea
    naxeea Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    zunizuni wrote: »
    Hi all, in a desperate bid to lose weight I am starting the 5:2 today. It's going to be so hard and I have tried this before and failed... Any tips to stay full on dust?

How is it going so far?First week is going to be a little rough but trust me it's going to get easier week by week.I am on week 4 and on my FDs I hardly feel hungry.Good luck and keep us posted :)
  • sbahlezinwe67
    sbahlezinwe67 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi im also new at this and i have only startef today i dont realy jave full infomation on how this is done but i told myself that i will lean along the way can i please ask do you guys eat 500 cal everyday?
  • Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hi @sbahlezinwe67, no you eat up to 500 calories twice a week and at your maintenance level the other 5 days... "5:2" ;) Set MFP to maintenance level so you know how many calories you can have on your non-fast days - it will go down as you lose weight. Good luck - drink lots of water today and hold off eating as long as you can; it seems like once you start eating, your hunger is triggered and you get hungrier and hungrier - at least that's how it works with me, lol
  • mominstands
    mominstands Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    There is plenty of info on the internet and some really good links on the announcements on the top of the group page, that helped me.