Newbie here

Options
honeypeas
honeypeas Posts: 17 Member
I'm new to the group, and I will be having my 4th preop visit for weight loss on Tuesday. I am anticipating my surgery to be the last week of September. I have 3 cousins who have all gone through RNY surgery, with the first one just hitting her 2 year post op, and the most recent, just 2 months. They all went to the same doctor and hospital, and I am going to a different one, so they give me different information than I am receiving in some areas. I am hoping this group will help guide me through some of that.
I am currently 5'8" and my highest weight was 290, I'm currently at 281. I have already made some changes to prepare my self for my post surgery life. I was a big diet soda drinker, and have given up all soda. I now drink only water and green tea. I have also given up all fast food, and added exercise to my daily routine. I am currently doing 30 minutes of exercise 3 days a week. My goal is to be consistently doing 5 days by the end of the month, and to hit 6 minutes 5 days a week my mid-late July.
I am very excited to be on this journey. I can't wait until I can once again ride roller coasters with my now teenage daughter, and help my son learn to ride his bike!

Replies

• gaining_while_losing
    gaining_while_losing Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you! Feel free to add me to your friends list.
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you! follow your Doctors advice and you will do fine. You have already made some big changes that will assist you in the process. my high weight was 267.5 and I am 5'7". I am now down to 147 14 months out from surgery. I work out and stay on the program my Doctor and Nutritionist gave me.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making the decision! And welcome - you found a great group of supporters of here, they have been so great my surgery 4/7 (HW was 387, SW 249 and last weigh in 224) - best wishes!
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're on a great path already!
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    honeypeas wrote: »
    have 3 cousins who have all gone through RNY surgery, with the first one just hitting her 2 year post op, and the most recent, just 2 months. They all went to the same doctor and hospital, and I am going to a different one, so they give me different information than I am receiving in some areas.

the important thing to remember is that each of us are different and while the advice your cousins received from their Dr worked for them, your Dr is basing his advice on his experience and your requirements. the "advice/recommendations" you get from us in the forums may be similar to what your Dr advises, may be similar to what your cousins received or completely different from both. bottom line is take the "advice/recommendations" from family and friends under consideration, but actually listen to what your Dr has to say
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I'm a sleever, but feel free to add me if you'd like. WLS was the best decision I ever made for my health.