tips with weight lifting while keto

Options
I've been more than not successfully keeping keto for 3 months now. I also lift weights about 2-3 times a week. The days i lift it is really hard not to eat back my calories and or indulge in carbs.
I'm thinking i should have steak or something of that quality on hand for these type of hunger emergencies. Any other tips or suggestions?
Any other females out there lifting and keeping keto? i would enjoy hearing your testimonies and or experiences.
Thanks!

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I'm not female or a weightlifter, but...

Carbs will make it easier, and you'll burn them off with exercise if you eat them in moderation. If you don't have carbs, you'll still deplete glycogen, and your body will try to replenish your glycogen stores later. It'll do that by breaking down protein if there are no carbs available, so both carbs and protein intake will help preserve muscle mass.

At the same time, if you do stay low-carb while lifting, your muscle may become better at metabolizing fat, which is a pretty cool trick. Not only new enzymes, but new mitochondria will be made in your muscle cells. Your energy level and strength will increase, and your oxidative stress will go down.

Personally, I've done it both ways (mostly for body-weight exercise), and I think the fat-adaptation is the cool way to go. I try to eat around 30g of protein just before or just after.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I would think that your pregnancy and blood sugar would affect the carb cravings, too.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    The days i lift it is really hard not to eat back my calories and or indulge in carbs.

If you're hungry, why aren't you eating the "extra" calories? You burn a lot of energy when lifting, so you need to make sure you fuel those workouts properly. A good fat/protein source (like steak) is a good idea. Protein powder works well, too (you can mix with something like unsweetened almond milk if you don't like mixing with water but want to keep carbs down, you can add some cream/coconut cream for fat).
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I lift weights and I am keto. The first 3 weeks, my lifts sucked I had to pull out my barbie weights. Lol. Now I notice I'm lifting more and have to increase my fats on days I lift.
  • TribalmamaEmily
    TribalmamaEmily Posts: 41 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks ya'll.

I would like to go with metabolizing fat b/c i would rather get the carbs out of my life; they dont make me feel good and they also tend to be addictive for me.

As for my pregnancies, carb cravings seem to only be in the beginning and end of the pregnancy. (I'm currently 4.5 months) This is my second time doing a HFLC WOE during pregnancy and I feel/felt fantastic each time.

I guess i just need to get over the calorie conscience mind set b/c i do know from my past as a kick boxer that i would pig out after training and i was at my lowest body fat% ever. But I also have a tendency to over eat protein and since that also will turn to sugar it has in the past caused stalls. But this was pre-pregnancy or post- partum, however you want to look at it. ;o)

I guess I will stock up on the steak and hardboiled eggs. I have to force myself to drink protein powder (yuck). @AngInCanada what do you consume to up your fats on lifting days? I notced you lift by the way, from your newest profile pic. :smile: Looking good!
    I am already taking flax oil before bed. I try and eat high fat sauces and dressings with my meals. I eat nuts but in moderation b/c they also contain a decent amount of carbs. Same with avocados.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You don't have to consume protein powder if you don't want to. It was just a suggestion since it's an easy way to get protein in.

You might want to check out /r/ketogains, they have an awesome FAQ. DarthLuiggi, the guy that runs it, has been keto for something like 15 years, and he's built.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Here's a study from the Journal of International Society of Sports Nutrition done in Italy re ketodiets and sport performance, it may lead you to some other pertinent sites concerning your own performance nutrition. Full Abstract: http://www.jissn.com/content/9/1/34

Another good article with references: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/can-you-build-muscle-on-a-ketogenic-diet.html
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I like Darth's TKD protocol here:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/comments/1z9jv1/the_tkd_experiment/

He suggests not eating fat following a workout due to the insulin spike (and glucose spike) from exercise. Sounds logical to me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Here's a study from the Journal of International Society of Sports Nutrition done in Italy re ketodiets and sport performance, it may lead you to some other pertinent sites concerning your own performance nutrition. Full Abstract: http://www.jissn.com/content/9/1/34

Another good article with references: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/can-you-build-muscle-on-a-ketogenic-diet.html

Bookmarking that Italian one for later CITING (when folks say they "can't" do low carb because they "lift heavy".
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    I like Darth's TKD protocol here:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/comments/1z9jv1/the_tkd_experiment/

He suggests not eating fat following a workout due to the insulin spike (and glucose spike) from exercise. Sounds logical to me.

This is great too, as I typically eat fat after I lift. Fascinating.
  • TribalmamaEmily
    TribalmamaEmily Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the links!
    I love how this group is so knowledgable and informative.