Jawbone Up?

Options
Twibbly
Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
Amazon now has the original Jawbone Up for $40. Seriously considering getting one, anything I should know? Any reason to run away and get a Fitbit? I know I have to plug it into my phone to sync.

Replies

• DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I've been seeing the Jawbone on sale a lot lately (Groupon and such) and was wondering the same. Does ANYone have them??
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I think that's what my dad and stepmom have, which they love but I don't know much about. I'm always going to opt out of anything that tracks my wrist swinging, because most of the time I don't swing them when I walk, and I lose steps. I do want to get and HRM eventually, but for now, my FitBit One works best for me because I can clip it to the center of my bra where it measures the shift from side to side and such as the more accurate measure of steps.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I have the move by jawbone, but the original one has a reputation for dieing within months of its first use.
  • sass_hole
    sass_hole Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have the original up - got it on Amazon - and I like it. I lost the cap a week ago and Jawbone sent me a free replacement within a week. Great customer service. I've heard if they do die quickly, they will take care of it for you.
  • Twibbly
    Options
    Thanks!
  • DianaElena76
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I do want to get and HRM eventually, but for now, my FitBit One works best for me because I can clip it to the center of my bra where it measures the shift from side to side and such as the more accurate measure of steps.

So I'd get credit for swaying back and forth with baby? ;-)
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I do want to get and HRM eventually, but for now, my FitBit One works best for me because I can clip it to the center of my bra where it measures the shift from side to side and such as the more accurate measure of steps.

So I'd get credit for swaying back and forth with baby? ;-)

No, unfortunately. It requires the full shift of weight to lift a foot. I tried that once (swaying) while watching TV...it didn't register, but I'd experiment with your device. Rocking forward and backward though would likely register.
  • suessm
    suessm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been seeing the Jawbone on sale a lot lately (Groupon and such) and was wondering the same. Does ANYone have them??

I had the UP 24, worked great, loved that it sync'd with MyFitnessPal, tracked my sleep too... Then it lost the button (poor design, in my opinion) after about six months and it was not available anymore... So I had to upgrade, got a Samsung Gear Neo... Doesn't interface with MyFitnessPal, which sucks, but I could enter it on manually... I would get the UP 3, if I were to get another...
  • Astharteea
    Astharteea Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend such an old model.... UP 24 is usually on sale a lot, so keep an eye on that. Also, if you don't mind spending $200 get UP 3 like suessm just said. It has more options and it looks better. But!!
    If you are a lady, I would recommend Fitbit Flex so you can look fashionable buying the TORY BURCH FOR FITBIT METAL HINGED BRACELET! It will cost you more but it looks fabulous! :) $80 + $195 + taxes and shipping ( depending where you buy) = $300 ish
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I just use the pacer app on my crappy old samsung galaxy s3 mini. It is fabulous for step counting.
  • Twibbly
    Options
    I ordered the Up. It came on Wednesday. So far, I'm loving it. It stays put, doesn't interfere with typing much, and the software is awesome. For $35, I'm satisfied as long as it keeps working.
  • Twibbly
    Options
    Minties, I don't always keep my phone in my pocket (on purpose...I'm one of those who causes electronics to go crazy after prolonged exposure), so the pedometer on the phone has never been a good choice for me, sadly.
  • DianaElena76
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @KnitorMiss, I actually have a fitbit one too, but I lost the charging cable in my last move and have since then misplaced the device as well (although I know I have it somewhere). I was joking about swaying--it's not the same calorie burn as walking anyway. :)

Edit to add: I wasn't using it much anyway because it would not hold a charge for more than a day. I had been excited about the fitbit one because of the sleep tracker and silent alarm features, but I had to keep it on the charger overnight every night anyway. I was really frustrated and pretty much gave up on using it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @KnitorMiss, I actually have a fitbit one too, but I lost the charging cable in my last move and have since then misplaced the device as well (although I know I have it somewhere). I was joking about swaying--it's not the same calorie burn as walking anyway. :)

Edit to add: I wasn't using it much anyway because it would not hold a charge for more than a day. I had been excited about the fitbit one because of the sleep tracker and silent alarm features, but I had to keep it on the charger overnight every night anyway. I was really frustrated and pretty much gave up on using it.

Sounds like you got a flawed product. Even tracking my sleep and auto-syncing, mine will go over a week without charging. I'd contact customer service and ask for a replacement. They should send you one. Tell them you got so frustrated with your unit not working, not realizing you could contact customer service, that you separated your cord from your unit in a move and didn't bother looking for it because it didn't work anyway. Now you've heard from others that your unit must have been flawed from the beginning.

See what they offer you! I hope you're pleasantly surprised.