Which supermarket is your favourite?

Options

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    use http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/ to make your comparisons
    you dont have to be loyal to any of the supermarkets. i shop in asda, tesco, lidl, sainsburys and morrisons. Generally whoever sends me money off vouchers.
  • Clo747
    Clo747 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Ocado for me, though some of my reasons may be a little sad lol.

I usually look to see whats on offer before planning my meals :smiley:
    Favorites are all stored, though imagine any online is the same.
    Then I like the way the shopping arrives, different colour bags depending on fridge/freezer/cupboard :blush:
    Plus it gives more time at weekends, I usually order around Tuesday for a Friday delivery.
    Finally, I usually end up spending less as no impluse buys get chucked in the trolley, last year I was spending maybe £140 a week going instore, now its around £90.

Oh just to add I get nappies and wipes from Sainsbury once a month as I prefer them to huggies/Ocado.

I loved my Ocado shop! We don't drive, so ordering online was kind of a must for a big haul and their grocery website CANNOT be beaten! They have so many different things that you might not see in a smaller store. However, hubby works at Sainsbury's and we're saving up for a holiday and his discount has really come in handy. So, we're hoofing around Sainsbury's these days (getting those extra steps in!) and just getting a cab home. I know they've got an online service too, but its too impolite to type what I think of that! lol

• bber2014
    bber2014 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I shop at my local Co-operative convenience store. It's ethical and owned by its members. Its has many award winning co-operative products including a great Which best buy prosecco for reward days when celebrating meeting nutrition targets! It's also is currently Convenience retailer of the year beating the likes of Tesco and Sainsbury. I support local ( if you don't you will lose the convenient local shops), save lots on petrol and the temptation to buy the many lardy products in the large stores. Costs a pound to join and you get member discounts etc.
  • build_them_skyward
    build_them_skyward Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like Aldi and there's luckily one where I live. There's a Lidl close by too. I used to go to Asda when I had a car and I think that's my favourite supermarket but I get home delivery and they've upped the minimum price for home delivery to £40 so I use Tesco now.
  • sarahgemini
    sarahgemini Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lidl is my favourite, prices great , meat British , veg and salad good quality in my store. Don't have a local aldi but hear they are good. Too much temptation in the bigger supermarkets with aisles of brands to tempt you!
  • walkonfire5
    walkonfire5 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Aldis Lidls Farmfoods, why pay more. Sainsbury pineapple was £3 across the road at Lidls was 99p.
    Cheap vegetables, cheap fruit. Great meats. Great fish. Cheap greek yogurt. Cheap cheese. Cheap mixed fruit and nuts. Why would you pay more. When you can pay less. fresh clean healthy food. At cheap prices what not to like
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Am Sainsburys for most things, I don't like the shopping experience in Tesco and I really don't like the quality of their meat. Saying that I have a delivery pass, paid £50 for a year of free deliveries regardless of time slot, so I generally don't have go shopping which suits me just fine (although it annoys me when the packers put one thing in a bag!!).

Aldi do good fruit and veg though and a top tip for those buying nappies is that theirs are made in the pampers factory so the quality is good and the price even better. Their one-off sales are worth keeping an eye on too, got a load of cheap cycling kit to train in the other day and saved a fortune. I tried a weekly shop there once, couldn't get everything so ended up at Waitrose and then still couldn't get stuff so went to Sainsburys to finish my shopping :smiley: (it's not the biggest Waitrose in the world).

Trying and use the local butcher/baker etc now though as their not massively more expensive and the quality is loads better and I like the fact that I'm supporting local businesses (incl the farmers).
  • Toadstool_
    Toadstool_ Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My favourite is Lidl - good prices, I find the veggies last for longer and you get some different meats in there. I generally end up shopping in tesco though because its close.
  • woodybush
    woodybush Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Lidl is good for living salads and fruit and veg (mainly eaten by the bearded dragon and tortoises so I cannot comment on the quality)
    Asda has good bargains and deals - that's where I would prefer to do 'bulk' shop.
    Iceland for frozen foods and for 'quick dinners' when we have nothing in.
  • MORECHABLIS2
    MORECHABLIS2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sainsburys - Main shop for week, as I feel the quality and length of time food lasts better than other standard supermarkets (ex-waitrose/M&S). Plus I have done a comparisons in price and Sainsburys just about the same on what I buy. I buy the odd-ready meal, and prefer Sainsburys, Tesco's always seems so over 'filled', with 'gunk' and has funny taste. Sainsburys overall seems to have a cleaner taste to food.

Morrisons/Asda - I pop into, to use more like a 'local' store, but I keep away from prepared food, mostly meat and especially bread. Bread in these places is so 'aired' and bloated... Terrible Bread... Sainsburys do good bread...

Aldi/Lidl - If I have a few minutes, see if anything that takes my fancy will pop into... LIke others say, fruit and veg seems quite OK. But have noticed not always better/cheaper on Fruit/Veg, or other items (Like Pound Shops, don't be fooled).

Coop - Don't go there, only if totally desperate...

M&S/Waitrose - For when I have the want of something nice and bugger expense and haven't the time to cook, or am having a small party, or a lady friend around etc...

LOCALLY OWNED SHOPS - I also buy fruit and veg from LOCAL Greengrocers, I must admit, when I remember/time and they seem a lot cheaper...
  • Osiris275
    Osiris275 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My nearest supermarket is 60 miles away, then a further 30 to the next one. Those are both Tesco. In the last year Tesco has started doing a click and collect service to my area so I use them and I'm very happy with it! :)

I find they usually have things like cereal bars, light yoghurts, baked snacks etc on offer so I buy them.
  • sophia_uk
    sophia_uk Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Aldi all the way for the big weekly shop. But I top up at Asda and also get the items that I can't get at Aldi there!
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Aldi/Lidl - If I have a few minutes, see if anything that takes my fancy will pop into... LIke others say, fruit and veg seems quite OK. But have noticed not always better/cheaper on Fruit/Veg, or other items (Like Pound Shops, don't be fooled).

Ditto.

I went to Lidl on the weekend and I was really disappointed... most of what I bought was comparable to Sainsbury's. The queues were massive, and I found the whole place really disorganized. Honestly, I'd rather pay £0.05 more for my eggs to avoid that whole experience.
  • ARC1603
    ARC1603 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »

Ditto.

I went to Lidl on the weekend and I was really disappointed... most of what I bought was comparable to Sainsbury's. The queues were massive, and I found the whole place really disorganized. Honestly, I'd rather pay £0.05 more for my eggs to avoid that whole experience.

Glad it's not just me who noticed this!

My friend swears by Aldi and lidl and their cheap fruit and veg. I went into Aldi with her and every thing was the same price as in Asda! I just think people get sucked in by the packaged stuff, and don't realise the loose fruit and veg is just as cheap in the big supermarkets.

My nearest supermarket is Asda so I usually do the big shop there. We also have a tesco nearby which I've been known to go to simply for the convenience of scan as you shop - very handy with two kids in tow!
  • Sweepypie
    Sweepypie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My favourite is Asda! We do all our shopping there! It's only a ten minute drive away. When we are to poorly to go, I do it online and get it delivered next day. Brilliant
  • deepassmore
    deepassmore Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do our main shop in Iceland so I can get it delivered plus there's a lot of frozen meat you can cook straight from the freezer like chicken, pork chops, diced steak, lamb etc

I like Asda for their 'Asda chosen by you' tins products

I love Wilkinsons/Wilcos for their bath/body/personal hygiene products,

Sometimes I pop in Sainsburys as i love a few of their products too

The above shops are all within a shopping centre a bus ride away from where i live.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I've just moved back to Derby for uni. My dad back home always uses Aldi, with a few things from Tesco. The Aldi in Derby is a fair walk from where I live so I'll only go when I need the exercise. There's a Tesco Express on the high street, I go in there to find reduced items and their Everyday Value smoked salmon is such good value... though I've noticed that I haven't been able to find this product in the Tesco back in Lincolnshire. Mostly I go to the Sainsbury's in the shopping centre. I would love to go to Iceland (and there's one of those in the shopping centre too!) but the freezer in the house I'm renting is tiny. I was the last to move in so the other students already filled it :(
  • Golfcat75
    Golfcat75 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Tesco for me, but it really is more down to convenience and location of stores
  • cheloldroyd
    cheloldroyd Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Aldi for me, its at the end of the street, so is really convenient.Visit the greengrocers on a weekend to stock up on fruit and veg and buy chicken from the butchers about every 3 weeks as does an offer of 5kg for 20lb. End up with about 23/4 breasts so really good value. I also get a few bits from B&M or home bargains as they are quite nearby too.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I do my main shop at Aldi. The majority of things are great and so cheap.
    For the things that need to be branded, I go to Tesco.
    I agree with a comment above about Asda, its cheaper but the fresh food is crap.