My progress with SideSteel

Options
lizzardsm
lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
edited June 2015 in Social Groups
Hi. I’m lizzardsm and I’m a recovering yo-yo dieter. I probably wouldn’t have ever admitted to that until SideSteel gently broke it to me.

My problems: I’ve had a difficult time with maintaining consistency and with my training. My MO has been to lose weight in the fall or winter then around springtime, I fall off track and gain every lb I lost that summer. For a few years, I’d try to lose the weight any way I possibly could – Insanity, 1200cal diets, intermittent fasting, etc. After joining ETP, I tried the "Guide to Sexypants” but once spring and summer rolled around, going out was way more important. In my training, I lacked mobility and strength to do a proper squat. My partial squats looked reminiscent of a good morning!

The approach: In January, I decided I needed help. What I had been doing was CLEARLY not working. I met with SideSteel and he became my coach/personal trainer. We've been meeting regularly since then. We set my calories higher than I usually set - 1500cal/day – with adequate protein and fat to keep me satiated. I also have a daily fiber and fruit/vegetable goal. He set up a 3-day/week progressive-loading lifting program with accessories and mobility work. I changed my workout schedule from evenings to early mornings so I’d have less of an excuse to skip. My “cardio” consists of wearing a Fitbit and trying to average 10k steps/day.

My progress thus far: I’ve posted a few progress pics below (I’ll post more when I’ve hit my goal). I’ve been losing about 2lbs/month for a total of 10lbs since January. I take monthly measurements and I’ve lost a total of 7.5in - Hips: 2.5in, Navel: 2.75in, and Waist: 2.25in. At the gym, I’ve started transitioning to barbell squats and am squatting parallel and below on goblet squats. My form has improved on all the compound lifts (bench, OHP, deadlifts, squats) and I’m stronger than I’ve ever been.

mi5figjr1kae.jpg

zfpsh1cnsez9.jpg

My weird and not so weird NSVs: First and foremost, SideSteel helped me calm the crazy in my brain when it comes to losing fat. What I mean is that all those moments of panic when the scale didn’t move or whatever – are just gone. I’ve learned to be far more flexible with my diet and exercise than I used to be. It’s ok for me to miss a day of training because I’m fatigued, I’m comfortable going out to eat with friends, and I’m ok with having a “no logging” day. It doesn’t affect my attitude nor does it affect my behavior in the long term. I just pick up the next day and continue. I’ve become perfectly happy with losing around 2lb/month and wouldn’t want to go any faster (I NEED FOOD).

I’m also far more aware of my body. There have been weeks when I’ve met with SideSteel and complained about being hungry all week (not normal for me). When he asks what might have caused that, I’ve learned exactly how to identify the problem – most likely I’ve strayed from my fruit/vegetable guidelines or something like that. I also crave fruit. I always liked fruit and vegetables but just didn’t eat enough or consistently. There was a long period of time when I’d have an apple with lunch every day. I’ve come to crave that fruit at lunch and get cranky when I skip that day.

I’ve never been a morning person, but I’ve really come to enjoy getting to the gym before work. It wakes me up and energizes me for the day. I feel much less of a need for coffee but I love it so I still drink it daily. I’ve also noticed that I walk differently and better. I didn’t know I walked strangely or badly, but I know that the way I walk now is stronger and more comfortable. I’ve come to enjoy walking on a treadmill for 30mins or an hour and watching a compelling show that I only watch at the gym. That's something that works for me. Finally, and one of the most important, it’s June and I’m still logging my food and training. I see no signs of slowing down!

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    First of all it's been a lot of fun working with you. I enjoy your perspective on things especially given your expertise is social psychology. So you can keep me in check if I talk about some behavioral theory and I end up being full of crap. LOL.

You're reinforcing my belief that taking a moderate approach tends to work best for long term adherence.

I have no reason to believe that you're not just going to keep getting leaner because we've found something that is getting results and is sustainable long term.

You're kicking butt right now both in terms of adherence/lifestyle factors and with gym progress. Squats are looking WAAAAY better than when you started.

Thanks for doing this write up, and thanks for the cookies and psych books too!

Finally, I never told you this on Skype but on a personal note I absolutely love how you interact with Audrey during our Skype calls. She loves to wave and smile at you and it's fun to watch =)

Talk soon!
    Patrick
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    h0mGJjR.gif

Amazing work OP! Great transformation and thoroughly enjoyed reading about your experience thus far. Kudos to Patrick as well.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    This is fantastic!!! Congratulations to both you and Patrick. :smile:
  • skiclimbdive
    skiclimbdive Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wow, great work!
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Great work! I'm very happy for you. Thanks for sharing.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! :)
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I love progress photos... You look great!

Good job on all your hard work!!!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    +1
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    So full of awesomeness, congratulations to you and to SS!
  • RachelX04
    RachelX04 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    this post if full of awesomeness. Well done girl and SS.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Awesome progress! I can definitely see the changes in your body - your upper back and arms have some definition, your waist dips in nicely, and your butt is perkier! Yay, yay, yay!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    If I had said that, I would be slapped! lol
  • lizzardsm
    Options
    Whoops! I kinda posted and walked away!

Thanks everyone for your kind words! This is probably been the easiest, most painless fat/weight loss I've ever done.

And Sidesteel - It's been fantastic to work with you! Audrey is the best. :smiley:
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! My calorie goal, starting weight and weights program are similar to yours. May I ask how tall you are?
  • lizzardsm
    Options
    HI Oi_Sunshine! Thanks! I'm 5'4"
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    great job!