what data do you monitor during races?

Options
jacksonpt
jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
edited June 2015 in Social Groups
If I've posted this before, I apologize (not sure if I've actually posted it, or simply thought about posting it, and the search function isn't very helpful).

For those of you with programmable watches/computers... what data do you track during races?

I have a Garmin 610 with customizable screens. I setup one screen for each leg of the race, and start/stop the lap each time I go over the timing mat -

1st screen - lap time and lap distance, though I rarely check it during the swim
2nd screen - lap average speed, lap distance, though I primarily go by RPE during the bike leg.
3rd screen - lap time, lap average pace, lap current pace, lap distance. This is where I pay attention to time/pace as I try to hit my goal time.

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Swim- Time. I really don't care about pace until afterwards so just time here
    Bike- Total time. 3 second power. HR. Pace. Distance
    Run- Time. HR. Distance. Pace
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Good question. I've been thinking about this lately. I don't have my watch setup the way I want yet. I'm interested to see the answers.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I use a 920 for the whole race and a 500 for the bike portion so I don't have to try to see my wrist.

Swim - during a LONG race I might check distance/time occasionally, but otherwise I don't look at it.
    Bike - so I have experimented with two paradigms here. First one is kinda a standard layout (the 500 allows 8 fields at once)

Speed, Average Speed, 3 second power, Normalized Power, cadence, heart rate, distance and time

I found I was concentrating on speed more than I should have been so for a while I was racing with just literally two fields: 3s power and Normalized Power.

Though I am now probably going back to my original "packed" screen.

Run - Time, Distance, instant pace, current mile pace.
  • aceink64
    aceink64 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Swim Just time and distance don't really look at during the race
    Bike Cadence, speed, distance, time, HR
    Run Distance, Pace, overall time, HR