Work Out Struggles

Options
luvmyleo
luvmyleo Posts: 94 Member
Hello all! I started phase 1 of Atkins on Monday, trying to keep my nutrients at 60% fat, 30% protein, 10% carbs. I eat 20 net carbs or less a day. The plan is going great (down 6 pounds as of this morning) and I am definitely in ketosis, my only issue I am having is that I am seriously struggling in my workouts. Workouts that are typically on the easy side for me, I have to take several breaks just to get through since starting to eat low. I just wanted to get opinions of others that are avid exercisers- does your energy level/ performance level return once your body becomes "keto-adjusted"? I take a daily multivitamin, and this morning I added 1/4 tsp of salt to water and drank it- I read online that this may help. Are there any other supplements that can help with energy?

Thanks for reading :)

Replies

• jpditano
    jpditano Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and I find it really frustrating (I'm on day 12). People on MFP have suggested that I might not be fully adapted even though in ketosis and that adaptation could take 2-6 weeks. One person said that they had the same issues during week one, but were able to run a 5k with obstacles with no problem during week six, so it sounds like it does go away eventually. I am also trying the vitamin/salt fix. Let me know if you figure it out! :(
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Might try adding some BCAA before / during workout. I use Gaspari Nutrition Aminolast. Bodybuilding.com has this awesome orange mango flavour. Perks me right up. I was telling my fiance (who lifts) about my problems with electrolytes and whatnot. He laughed at my weenie little packets of Oxylent brand electrolytes I was having and told me why don't I just have some BCAAs with electrolytes instead. Edited to add that the cost difference ended up tipping in favour of the Aminolast, too.
    Hard to find supplements without carbs, but both products I mentioned have none. :)

-T.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I didn't work out for at least a month when starting keto. I would maybe walk but nothing strenuous until you feel more energized. Let your body adjust to new way of eating and healing, then go full strength ;)
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I've read that you shouldn't try to work out at your normal intensity at the beginning. Your body is still looking for sugar as fuel and can't find it. It takes a little while for your brain to adjust to using the fat instead. Take it very easy at this point. You'll know when you're ready to go full tilt.