My story...

Options
jove102
jove102 Posts: 68 Member
hi everyone! I have been on this board for some time so I decided to tell everyone my story!

In 2008 I had a kidney transplant...I had to take prednisone and I started gaining weight...I gained over 60 pounds...
Last year I found out I needed another transplant and was told I could not get on the transplant list until I lost weight.

Well this was damn near impossible because of the prednisone and the yucky feeling I have because of kidney disease.

So last year I got the ok from my nephrologist to have bariatric surgery...
The bariatric team knew I needed this done quickly and sped the process along for me!

I had bariatric surgery this January, I had a lot of complications. I became so dehydrated I had to be admitted to the hospital. I also had severe pain where they did the surgery. They say it was because they cut through nerves. It was horrible! I also had thrush and c-diff. It took me 6 weeks to normalize, I feel fine now.

I went through the testing at the transplant clinic a month ago and got the call today that I am officially on the transplant list!

I am nervous and happy at the same time. I am nervous because I am going to have to go on dialysis soon. Happy because I made it this far.

The average wait on the list is 2 years but it's better than not being on it!

Thanks everyone for support and advice!

Oh I also bought roller skates today! Can't wait to use them!

Replies

• jove102
    Options
    hs7ozvv2wvo5.jpg
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Wow. Sounds like you went through the wringer. Thanks much for the intro and WELCOME!! :)
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I'm hopeful the tough times are past now pertaining to the VSG and your health is improving. It's great that this surgery helped you get onto the transplant list. I hope you can get your new kidney soon. Keep us updated. Sending best wishes!!
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    YAY, YAY, YAY!!! You are going to do great! I love happy stories! Best wishes can't wait to hear the rest!
  • GalgoMomAnita
    GalgoMomAnita Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy you were able to get on the transplant list - I hope that works out quickly for you. I'm a nurse and read medical records all day and see a lot of people who've done wonderfully post-transplant. Sounds like it's been a rough road for you, but there sure is light at the end of the tunnel!
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. You have been through a lot and continue to fight the good fight. Welcome to the site. :)
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    That is amazing!!!!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    What a journey you have had! Congratulations on everything! Roller Skates? That sounds like great fun!! Keep posting so we can see how well you do with all this.
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    So glad you are on the transplant list! Sounds like you did go through the wringer! May the rest of your journey be smooth sailing. You are a gorgeous girl! Good luck!
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    We've all overcome obstacles to get to "healthy", but wow! You've really leapt some big hurdles--in roller skates no less. :)
  • JeanneMarie11111
    JeanneMarie11111 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    your story is very similar to mine :D I have one more test to do before they put me on the list, the vein surgeon says I don't need the test, but the transplant team says I do before they put me on the list, go figure LOL. I have been on peritoneal dialysis for 4 years, I was on Hemo for 3 months following the vsg surgery, if you have questions please feel free to ask me. Congratulations on getting on the list
  • jove102
    Options
    I was on peritoneal before...just sucks...do you do yours during the day or night?
  • JeanneMarie11111
    Options
    i do 2 manual exchanges starting at 7 pm with a change at 12 am and a drain in the am and empty all day wooo hooo for that, so I sleep for most of mine, Hemo and I did not get along, I had 1 day of feeling good for the whole week
  • jove102
    Options
    I used to do four exchanges during the day...I never did hemo...I told them I want to do it at night this time around
  • JeanneMarie11111
    Options
    on the cycler? I tried the cycler for a week or so we found out I need to dwell at least 6 hours preferably 8, my numbers are great with two ... so far fingers crossed it stays that way
  • seaghdha1072
    seaghdha1072 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Jove, your picture is beautiful you posted! I'm so glad your surgery is behind you and you are on transplant list again. So sorry for all the complications you've gone thru.
  • jove102
    Options
    When I did it I did the exchanges myself...I only was on it for a few months so I don't know all the different things that are out there now
  • jove102
    Options
    It's so hard to do excersice with end stage renal failure...all I want to do is sleep...I still work full time so it's really hard to do anything...hopefully my roller skates help
  • JeanneMarie11111
    Options
    as soon as you start the dialysis you should start to feel better, not so tired all the time. and omg I wish I had the balance to roller skate. I am hoping when I lose a bit more weight I will be more comfortable on my bike. I ride it, but I am not nearly as confident as I used to be.